What do you think is a good salary?

You ain't patronising everyone, A2hat likes to try and diminish us all as well, most of us are worth more than ten times him though, despite him trying to boast about his not knowing how people cope on less than high rate tax wages

Last edited:
To be fair mate I don't think you've been patronising. It does seem though that London-folk are ripped off royally when it comes to rent and such. So it's only fair they need to earn more to attain the same standard of living as somebody up here.

If £50-60k down there would be quite a comfortable salary then you'd be seriously shocked at how you could live up here for that. I live in Cheshire, WAG side of Cheshire, not Scouse side (Cue Mikeh Biting) and here £50-60k would mean you could have a f?cking nice house and car and still have change for two or three good holidays per year.

For living in Zürich, you'd need CHF 90000, £80000 ish, living in the south, about 50-60k - even then we still can't get a big enough mortgage to buy somewhere!!!

No matter what you earn you will live within your means. I look at what I earnt 7 years ago, £200 before tax, minus £50 board and still had enough to run my Saxo vtr and do whatever I pleased and have fun. Now I have my own business and have for 3 years now, I still live at home. Out of choice due to being away 6 days a week. I employ 1 person and earn substantially more than I used to. I also pay out substantially more than I used to lol! My point being whatever you earn you would spend. Aslong as you have enough to do what you enjoy, and arnt kept awake at night worrying about bills etc you don't need to be a millionare.

Picking a universally acceptable number would be impossible.

It completely depends on you, your wants/needs, family size, dependants and their employment status and contributions, housing situation, geographical location etc.

As above, what ever you earn you spend, or most do.

Its not about how much you earn its how you manage it.

I won't say how much i earn for working 6 months a year but it could always be more regardless of how much you think it is.

Oh and at a point you need to nearly double your yearly pay rise due to the tax system.

Got a crappy 3.7% this year despite us making millions in profits.

It does totally depend on where you live. The thing that I always don't quite get is though, if your living 'dahn saarf' and on £80/90k and using that to pay huge sums on on mortage payments, surely after 10/15 years you've built up enough equity to bugger off up north and buy a house outright? Obviously if you stay where you are its pretty much even, but I've often wondered if I should bugger off down south for a bit. My Fiance finishes uni this year and is forever complaining all the Management Accounts/Economics jobs are down south.

As above, what ever you earn you spend, or most do.

Its not about how much you earn its how you manage it.

I won't say how much i earn for working 6 months a year but it could always be more regardless of how much you think it is.

Oh and at a point you need to nearly double your yearly pay rise due to the tax system.

Got a crappy 3.7% this year despite us making millions in profits.

Your lucky you got a rise, I head up all the high priority UK based jobs for my company (making them money) and I haven't had one in nearly 3 years! These days I'm just glad I have a job to be honest, times are pretty tough.

Your lucky you got a rise, I head up all the high priority UK based jobs for my company (making them money) and I haven't had one in nearly 3 years! These days I'm just glad I have a job to be honest, times are pretty tough.

indeed but if your company made a profit of over £275m you would think 3.7 wasn't right good.

If you guys are as valuable as you make out and are unhappy with your salaries, use it to your advantage, build your stats and look for other work on the side.

If you get made a good offer, use it to your advantage. Win win.

Anything above 30k I think is decent, but I don't understand the tax system as I don't pay any.

I was annoyed at getting less than a 3% rise this year, my company made a profit of $31 billion, fair, I think not lol.

As people have said, it all depends on what you want to do in life.

Do you want holidays? Kids? Are you materialistic? Go out every weekend?

Someone once said to me; earn your age up until you're 30, then you'll be wanting more!

So, 20k at 20years old, 25k at 25y/o etc.

Which is easier said than done in the current climate!

Someone once said to me; earn your age up until you're 30, then you'll be wanting more!

So, 20k at 20years old, 25k at 25y/o etc.
Thinking about it, that kind've works to a degree. Thinking of the people I know and their ages, a few of them are earning circa their age.

It's a bad way of paying people though, IMO. At my last job, I improved sales by 181% and broke company records that were over 8 years old. When I asked for a pay rise they said they would "benchmark" me against other people my age.

What a load of rubbish! They wanted to pay me like the average graduate, despite my results being exceptional and better than anything the company had ever seen or expected.

It wasn't like they were skint either - they are a multi-mil', global company. :|

Needless to say, I got head hunted by a competitor and didn't think twice. I was out the door less than 3 months later.

Serves them right, 'tight b*stards.

Last edited:
It's a bad way of paying people though, IMO. At my last job, I improved sales by 181% and broke company records that were over 8 years old. When I asked for a pay rise they said they would "benchmark" me against other people my age.

Yeah, pay should be done on performance with any job like sales etc.

You do right in getting out of there - have to feel appreciated as an employee... and as sad as it is - it's often all about the money!

Unless you're the type of person who REALLY loves doing what you do.

I only know one bloke that gets up in a morning and goes "YES I'M GOING TO WORK!!!!" and he makes computer games, haha - lucky sod.

As said, it all depends on what you value, and where you live. Whoever it was that said you live within your means, got it spot on...
We got a 5.5% pay rise this year and do most years, along with a 12% bonus.

But, I'm 20, my girlfriend is at uni, and I only have to pay keep and my car until I've saved my deposit for a house. So I'm happy paying for nearly everything we do together and holidays and things.

People get too hung up on the 40% tax thing in this country. It only effects the money you earn over the boundary, so it's not as bad as it sounds really. Although I agree, it's horrible seeing that figure going out of your wages every month, it's not as bad as people make out :smile:

You do right in getting out of there - have to feel appreciated as an employee... and as sad as it is - it's often all about the money!

Unless you're the type of person who REALLY loves doing what you do.

I only know one bloke that gets up in a morning and goes "YES I'M GOING TO WORK!!!!" and he makes computer games, haha - lucky sod.
I love my job and look forward to work most days - but why work my arse off to get no reward?!

I'm in marketing, so I don't get commission or anything. However, that massive rise in sales saw all the sales guys get loads more commision! So much so, it got capped!!!!!

Anyway....

Yes - 99% of the time it's money related. I think it always will be with me... :worried:

Oh well - 'gives me drive!

I live within my means and am very happy in my work. I can pay all the bills and run a house, wife, 2 cars and 2 kids. I don't have a huge amount of money for holidays (hardly ever go abroad) but we get by so for all who live within your means....well done :smile:

The 40% tax is a killer when moving job. I would think of it like this. Unless you actively dislike what you are doing and there is no more career progression where you are, the main reason for moving is to increase your salary. If you are in the 40% tax bracket, ask yourself how much of a salary increase it will take to move? £10k? more?

A £10k rise will be cut in half through tax and NI so works out at about £100 per week. That will make a difference but you will be giving up a lot of security and safety for it, will need to build your reputation again and won't have any job security for the first year.

Makes you think!!!!

I'm not in sales but have been and plenty of people in my business moan about the rewards the sales team get. With the rewards comes the pressure, a target hanging over you constantly and the fact that if you fail to perform, you are out. Try sales first before you knock the rewards. It is harder than you think. Personally, I didn't care for it, but I was good at it.

Last edited:
I think I read supposedly 24k is the Goldilocks band for salary, obviously waiting that for any north south divide.

I'd agree.

If you guys are as valuable as you make out and are unhappy with your salaries, use it to your advantage, build your stats and look for other work on the side.

If you get made a good offer, use it to your advantage. Win win.

Yeah I'm working on that at the moment, it's easier said than done though when I've put the last seven years of my time in to the job and I have very few qualifications, based on them alone I'm massively overpaid lol, to quite Liam Neeson "I have a very specific skil set" :smiley:

I do see what people mean about sales guys. The pay our guys get for the little work and (very) poor quality of it is shocking when I realise they're on 100k + and don't know **** about the customer or our product. But it's not a job everyone can do, your either born for it or you aren't. I always did sales in the past so I appreciate what they do, but they don't work too hard.