What do you think is a good salary?

Reading a post by Mike on here reminded me of a conversation I had with the wife (many times!!!!!). How much is a good salary?

Unlike other conversations, this is not a thread on us posting what we earn or whether we are paid well for the job we have. Leave what the job is out for now and decide what you feel will give you the life you should have. No fantasy amounts either!!!

As a Londoner (very expensive, especially housing) I would say £50-60k is needed.

Ha ha just love you southern softies, come and live in the real world

Enough for you to pay your mortgage and live a life.. I have gone from an excellent salary recently to having to pick up the dregs of societies jobs. Really makes you appreciate things!

I can somewhat agree with Marv thb. I'm originally from West London, Chiswick to be precise. Just before I moved up north around 12 years ago I was paying just under £1900 per month rent for my flat and it wasnt a penthouse or anything. I dread to think how much they are now.

North/south divide

I work for a national company and you northerners have a better standard of living than us southerners even when you take into account lower salaries.

I suppose I posted the thread as what I think is a good salary and what the wife thinks is slightly different!!!!!

I can somewhat agree with Marv thb. I'm originally from West London, Chiswick to be precise. Just before I moved up north around 12 years ago I was paying just under £1900 per month rent for my flat and it wasnt a penthouse or anything. I dread to think how much they are now.

I've been on the housing ladder for 15 years and I don't know how people do it now.

Lol women always think differently, iirc the national average is still mid 20k, so saying 50-60k is like a bull in a china shop outside the m25

50-60k is not good, I would say its amazing lol

A good average down to earth wage I would say is around 21-25k but depends where you live I suppose.

I'd say I live a comfortable life, only just graduated but am on high 20s and have plenty left at the end of the month after paying rent and bills.

Lol women always think differently, iirc the national average is still mid 20k, so saying 50-60k is like a bull in a china shop outside the m25

I agree. Just seeing if I'm out of touch. If I wasn't born in London and worked here, I would move down to the coast. It is like living in a bubble sometimes.

Another point is whether you enjoy your work, but that's another conversation. I'm very lucky that I love what I do so come home to the family in a good mood. You can't put a price on that.

There you go outside the m25 the national average seems to be considered a decent wage, sort of lends credence to my comment about southern softies don't know what the real world is like

There you go outside the m25 the national average seems to be considered a decent wage, sort of lends credence to my comment about southern softies don't know what the real world is like

Lol southern softies

Bills paid, with at least the same amount again left over for fun.

That's all I want, not greedy. :smile:

Re-reading this, I look like a bit of a dick but in London there is often too much month left at the end of the money if you don't earn a large amount!!!!

Please don't think I am patronising anyone.