Water in boot - found the culprit

Been having occasional issues with water in the boot - whenever it has been raining and I open the boot, drops of water have falling on my head from the boot lock mechansism and this has lead to the carpet being moist plus water underneath the toolkit. Its also led to the boot now not opening on occasion plus the boot deciding to open of its own accord.

Decided to have a look earlier and took of the plastic panel which revealed the issue - water has been running in through the renault diamond on the boot - I could clearly see water marks/streaks. Managed to ease it off (6 retaining tabs) with some long thin pliers and cleaned it up as well as the surrounding area. Good blob of sealent on the tabs and the back of the diamond and back in it went. Will let it settle/dry and then give it a leak test with a watering can over the weekend.

I had seen your that thread Gaz, what makes me think that my leak is different it that water was dropping out of/down from the boot lock mechansim when i lifted the boot lid - I could see that water had been collecting in the area where the boot lid locks into position (between the boot seal). I assume its then been running down from there into the boot floor and under the tool kit.

Its been raining today for the first time since I sealed the diamond so going to check the car when I get home - if its dry then hopefully I have solved it, if not then I will give your guide a bash I think.

I personally cant see how it can come through the brake light/diamond then get into the boot. Water coming in through those will get into the skin of the tailgate and cause issues with the boot switch (I've had this) but it cant get into the car due to the actual tailgate seal. Have a look next time :smile: