Water damage on top of engine - common?

Hi guys, i have noticed that on top of the engine block in my 200 appears to be getting wet whilst it rains as the aluminium top is starting to oxidise/corrode on the L/H side. Its starting to concern me as I don't want the water getting down the firing ring and corrode the spark plug into the head. Are any of yours suffering from this or do i need to contacting the dealer?

i'll try get a photo in the morning or I'll try to get some decent lighting on the engine and get one now if it helps - any feedback is appreciated!

Many Thanks Aaron :smile:

Is it like a white powdery sort of thing on top of the Inlet?

If so then I wouldn't worry, Aluminium is already corroded by it's very nature. They all have this white dusty appearance.

well its only around the 1st firing ring and theres constantly a pool of water there whereas the rest of the block is fine - I've just got some good photos so I'll post them up in a minute for you

Looks a little odd,
but water marks on the top of the engine is why I had mine mirror polished.

My engine has this in places as well and a lot worse but nothing to worry about just looks ugly

Once cause for this could be from the cold damp air when car is left over night as it hits the alloy metal (usually when it's cooling down) the water separates from the air & forms on the surface & can then accumulated in certain places and the uncoated alloy surface will corrode very quickly.

Only time you do need to worry is if it's also stained green or whatever colour your antifreeze is.

I think its caused by rain water as there is always a puddle where that bolt is in the picture which is also corroding quickly - its just strange how its only that place on the engine thats suffering from it so I was thinking a faulty seal on the bonnet somewhere?

infact you can see the water ingress on the 1st picture - might pop down to my local dealer on Friday and have one of their mechanics to have a look :smile:

well you can test that yourself, just get a bucket of water or hose then simulate rain filling up the black trim panel bit by wipers, then open bonnet and if it's wet in that area then you know where it's coming from as you'll see the path as well

Well when I have washed the car on a dry day the water has been there immediately after so I'm assuming thats the case to be honest being as the rest of the engine was bone dry. think I'm going to get Renault to investigate this as it sounds like it shouldn't be that way.

Cheers for all the help guys, I'll let you all know how i get on with getting it sorted :smile:

Has your car got the rubber weather seal along the edge of the scuttle pannel to stop water getting under the bonnet.?

Water comes through the washing jets? on the engine block. You can check next time you're cleaning the car or raining outside. I know I have the same problem.

Just one question. Do you have a Clio 197 or 200?

edit: Ah, now I see you got a 200, which has no insulation under the hood, so you'll clearly see the water from washing jets.

sry for my bad english.

Last edited:
i usually spray round the engine bay with wd40 or gt85...seems to help with keeping the corrosion away

Water comes through the washing jets? on the engine block. You can check next time you're cleaning the car or raining outside. I know I have the same problem.

Just one question. Do you have a Clio 197 or 200?

edit: Ah, now I see you got a 200, which has no insulation under the hood, so you'll clearly see the water from washing jets.

sry for my bad english.

Yeah its this. I removed mine, small bead of clear silicone around them, then refit. Job done.

I've looked at an 08 cup today and it was shocking under the bonnet.

The inlet was a furry as hell and all the bolts were rusty on the drivers sdie engine mount, this did not have any trim on the underside of the bonnet but i thought that was just another weight saving cup thing.

It's been on ebay for over two months, inside a showroom and there were dead leaves in all the vents and muck and crap all over the battery and airbox.

It had a leaking rocker cover too and all oil sprayed up the underside of the bonnet.

Sorry i'm ranting ;/