Top up oil level

Hey guys, got the warning on my dash "top up oil level" when i drove the car today. Just wondering what oil and where's best to get it? If someone could link me that would be really appreciated.

Many thanks

Stuart.

You should be checking your oil more regular than waiting for that light to come on. When that light comes on...you know it's pretty low... Can do damage if you've been hammering the car the day/night before the light coming on, if the oil is that low..

youll probably use the whole 1L top up.

If the lights on, anything 5/40 fully/synthetic will do.

Otherwise if you had a chance or no rush to get oil I'd be buying the Elf oil.

It was only a pointer to check it a little more. Rather than cost an engine... :slap:

If your just topping up as above any 5w40 would do, worthwhile doing a full change with the fuchs.

When did you last do a full change? It takes 5.4L.

I did check it recently, knew it was getting a little low but was still surprised to see the warning light on.. Anyway I've ordered the one you linked me to Chris. I'll just top it up with the 1 litre for now and do a full change next time. I've only owned the car for a few months so haven't yet got round to a full oil change.

Fair play mate, same thing has happened to me recently me lol.

Worth checking your service history though, I change my oil yearly.

Mine came with 1 service log in the book in the last 5 years haha. Apparently the previous owner did it all himself. What does seem true as my dad is a mechanics teacher and said all is in very good condition on the car. The few garages I've been to with it as well have all said what good condition the car is in. I will how ever get a full oil change soon and a major service later this year along with cambelt & water pump :smile:

I did check it recently, knew it was getting a little low but was still surprised to see the warning light on.. Anyway I've ordered the one you linked me to Chris. I'll just top it up with the 1 litre for now and do a full change next time. I've only owned the car for a few months so haven't yet got round to a full oil change.
If parked uphill, my warning indicator sometimes comes on. usually only needs a dribble to top up.

I wouldn't listen to the indicator on the dash at all I used to as I was lazy and before a trip on track I decided to check it for real and found it below min (only just) but according to the dash I had only lost one of the marks seems a very reliable system, anyone else noticed this?

I suppose the dash warning is a handy little thing to have, however nothing can replace physically checking the oil level on a regular basis. The Vauxhall Vivaro vans we use at work have the same sort of dash read-out and they are woefully unreliable...

I suppose the dash warning is a handy little thing to have, however nothing can replace physically checking the oil level on a regular basis. The Vauxhall Vivaro vans we use at work have the same sort of dash read-out and they are woefully unreliable...

that's because they use Renault running gear/electrics etc :blink:

I haven't got the top up warning yet but my oil is at the bottom marker on the dipstick, how much oil do I need to get it back to the top?