Top up oil level HELP

So the car on and off for a few weeks has showed up with the top up oil level on start up, theyre is abit of oil gathering around the spark plugs, checked with dipstick and oil is fine, so put it down to dodgy oil level reader as once driving around and starting the car again the next day for example it will say oil level correct, even after not topping it up, i keep checking the dipstick and all seems ok, am i right in thinking this is just a fault with the oil level reader? Got the car booked in for a service in 2 weeks so will have it checked over but should i be worried? Cheers

I wouldn’t worry about it too much, I’d just keep an eye on the level between now and when you are having the car serviced.

Out of interest, I am guessing the message you are getting is when you turn the car on? If so what does the level show when you press one of the buttons on the end of the wiper stalk? It should show a series of dots that looks like this ‘oooooo’ if full.

Reactions: Pav
I wouldn’t worry about it too much, I’d just keep an eye on the level between now and when you are having the car serviced.

Out of interest, I am guessing the message you are getting is when you turn the car on? If so what does the level show when you press one of the buttons on the end of the wiper stalk? It should show a series of dots that looks like this ‘oooooo’ if full.
Sometimes it will say 000000 and sometimes it will say there is 3 dots of oil even if i havent topped the oil up atall?

That reader is pretty inaccurate, use it as more of a reminder to dip your oil.

It'll totally depend on how you parked the car and if it's on a slope at all.

The oil around the oil topup is seaping out of the two black bolts behind the first coilpack, its a common thing. You can put a fibre washer under both and itll stop it leaking.

As with the other replies, check when cold and check when level. When at high revs a lot I notice these engines use a bit more oil but if normal driving regularly mine doesnt use a lot.

Most of the oil around the plugs in my opinion is that the guy servicing spills or dribbles the oil onto the head when filling it up and it finds it's way there the ELF genuine oil containers I find hard to pour cleanly and like anyone else who needs a funnel that's for wimps I have been using ELF on F4R engine Renault's for over 15 years. As for oil level if the car has been running the level can drop a little as the oil is not all in the sump but up around the head but if it's not level on the ground like on a slope or 2 wheels up on a kerb its not going to show a true level on the dash. If the dash shows oil correct like they say push the end of the right stem control and it should show you the level reading at that moment in the form of "000--" or "00000"

Reactions: Doogle
Most of the oil around the plugs in my opinion is that the guy servicing spills or dribbles the oil onto the head when filling it up and it finds it's way there the ELF genuine oil containers I find hard to pour cleanly and like anyone else who needs a funnel that's for wimps I have been using ELF on F4R engine Renault's for over 15 years. As for oil level if the car has been running the level can drop a little as the oil is not all in the sump but up around the head but if it's not level on the ground like on a slope or 2 wheels up on a kerb its not going to show a true level on the dash. If the dash shows oil correct like they say push the end of the right stem control and it should show you the level reading at that moment in the form of "000--" or "00000"

Mine was 100% due to oil seaping past those bolts. Ive always used a funnel to top up the oil cos I also struggle to pour from the daft bottles.

Reactions: RonnieCLIORS
I also get a slow usage of oil in my car. Never found a leak but definitely uses more oil when driving at higher revs/faster.

Reactions: RonnieCLIORS