"The clio looks faster than it is.."

I have to remind people when they drive mine where the power is. Not going anywhere at 3k revs :wink:

I have to remind people when they drive mine where the power is. Not going anywhere at 3k revs :wink:

really.....dont think they are that bad....well mine seems to pull quite well from over 2500rpm :clap:

I took my 200 to a day at curborough. Over 0.88 mile i was 3 secs quicker than a 3 litre Z4 and only 1sec slower than my mate with more experience in his stripped fiat coupe with 285bhp and track rubber.

I took a few people out and to be fair no-one was impressed by the power but every last one commented on how it gripped and turned. I had the rs monitor on and was getting the lateral g off the chart. 1.2-1.3g in a fwd road car on road tyres. Awesome!!

I like how having an expensive Porsche means you're a proper petrol head. Surely it just means you have money?

I like how having an expensive Porsche means you're a proper petrol head. Surely it just means you have money?

LOL....So you can't have money and be a proper petrolhead? Think Jay Kay's got loads of money. Wouldn't you describe him as a proper petrolhead or maybe he just doesn't own a clio?

LOL....So you can't have money and be a proper petrolhead? Think Jay Kay's got loads of money. Wouldn't you describe him as a proper petrolhead or maybe he just doesn't own a clio?

Not saying that. I'm merely stating the reading through your post your basically saying your mates are petrolheads coz they have expensive cars?

Wayne Rooney has lots of money and a Porsche yet he aint no petrolhead? :tongue_smilie:

And because someone referred to the Porsche with the big wing they aint a petrolhead either? You dont have to know every single make and model of every car to be a petrolhead surely?

Tbh, the 197 is gonna feel slow compared to a Porsche. What did you expect your mates to say? Its fast and fudge?

Like some already said, it's all very relative and subjective.

My daily is a company BMW 116d M-pack. The car handles nicely ( for a company car ) but it's kinda sloooow :smile:

My girlfriend drives my Clio 200 as her daily. Everytime I get in that car, it feels fast of course. And that's the main reason why the 116d stays stock. The Clio could feel slow all of a sudden when the Beemer is chipped.

Imo the Clio is really fast enough. Yesterday I've done a 1 hour drive on the Belgian backroads here. The way it splits through those corners, I adore it. My friend with his volvo s60 ( D5 @ 240 hp & 580 nM torque ) couldn't keep up with me (which is quite obvious).

When he drove in front of me, it was only slightly faster than my clio. I lost the most when I had to shift.

I honestly think the Clio is really fast enough for it's purpose. It's not made to do high speed sprints and cruises on the highway. It's made for this special moments where twists and turns come in :smile:

Not saying that. I'm merely stating the reading through your post your basically saying your mates are petrolheads coz they have expensive cars?

Wayne Rooney has lots of money and a Porsche yet he aint no petrolhead? :tongue_smilie:

And because someone referred to the Porsche with the big wing they aint a petrolhead either? You dont have to know every single make and model of every car to be a petrolhead surely?

Tbh, the 197 is gonna feel slow compared to a Porsche. What did you expect your mates to say? Its fast and fudge?

Noodie, you seem to make asumptions about stuff without reading it first. Where does it say "I say my friends are petrolheads cause they have expensive cars?" I guess you know Wayne Rooney personally to know he's not a petrolhead then? I might be equally like you making assumptions but someone refers to a Porsche as the one with the big spoiler hmmm...
If you read the post, it says that they thought the clio's were faster and not compared to their own cars. In fact, the clio is faster than some of theirs. The clio reputation goes before it. Even people who know about cars, think they are turbo'd because so many of the cars like the clio in its field are so when they get it in, press the pedal, they think wheres the power. If you didn't know the car and took one for a test drive with the person selling it or a sales man sat next to you, and without them giving you permission to 'drive' it....you would say it was fast?

A more balanced response would be "the clio does take some time to get use to it. It generally needs revving and not the first thing you think of doing, is screwing a mates car, the first time you jump into it. Might be seen as a little disrespectful. Trip to the ring in March, they may see the clio a little diferently".
The clio isn't slow by any means and when in the powerband its rapid. Just you need to drive it hard to get the most of it which itsn't always conjusive with driving fast. Track days where there are less restrictions but spirited driving on the road, you can feel like a bit of a knob and can attract unwanted attention to yourself. E46 M3's are the same as are most NA sports cars.
The extra 50bhp power in the right place would mean you would not have to be frowned upon by the wife everytime you want to drive fast. LOL. Ok when your younger but looks a bit desperate when your in your 40's when all your doing is going to the shop to buy a paper. Would help to be a little more covert, which is hard enough it being LY.
Pound for Pound, best car I've owned but doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. Renault have acknowledged this in the improvements made in the 200. E.g engines got more lower end grut and gearings improved in the gearbox to compliment it....

Last edited:
I would not let that plank near my car, he'd probably put diesel in it :tongueout:anic:

I haven't felt that the Clio needs to be faster. The problem with changing it is that you improve the power which makes the handling feel inadequate, you put coilovers/rubber on and which means you feel like it lacks power, make more changes and it makes something else feel inadequate.

It is a never ending cycle and I don't want to get into it lol! :wink:

I haven't felt that the Clio needs to be faster. The problem with changing it is that you improve the power which makes the handling feel inadequate, you put coilovers/rubber on and which means you feel like it lacks power, make more changes and it makes something else feel inadequate.

It is a never ending cycle and I don't want to get into it lol! :wink:

Exactly Paul - im nowhere near qualified enough for the tech side
the 200 is PLENTY fast enough for me - i still have to remind myself this is a n/a engine
plus the sideway stares you get still never ceases to amaze :w00t: