"The clio looks faster than it is.."

Friends who are proper petrolheads (and know how to drive) after driving mine feel a little disappointed and said openingly that they thought they were faster!!!!

I know its a on-going issue but once you've owned the clio for 6 - 12 months, the lack of power will always generally out weigh the positives of handling (especially outside of track use). It would appear the average ownership time on here is 12 - 16 months, which is short for a site where members mod their cars. Everyones searching for the holy grail and ultimately lose patience....and sell up.

Can you imagine if Ktec or Jamsport sold a Supercharger kit for 4 grand fitted. The Clio would be 250bhp and still 'revvy'.....not sure you'd see as many selling up in the same way.

Shame because its appears that this may never happen.

another post about how slow the clio is???

anyway, the car is not fast in a straight line, think we all know that, is it fast in the corners? yes!!!
the clio will be no good on a track like silverstone as thats its a power track, put it on a track at cladwell or something liek that, then we r talking

I'd have to agree with you mate, most that mod eventually don't get anywhere and cut their losses. The car does lack straight line power, even if it does excel on track this advantage is difficult to enjoy on the road.

I'd try and enjoy the car for what it is if I had a new 200, modding it is a waste of time and spoils the resale value and warranty. As a car to use daily and then enjoy at the weekend it's ideal, as a fast road hot hatch it'll always be let down by it's weight ( 200bhp isn't the issue, it's the weight of it ).

I'd look for a 250 to be happy :wink:

Mine must be special then :smile: as is it super fast, i always forget how fast it is.

I've had my clio 3 years btw.

I think we are all forgeting that for the price and in that range not much can touch the clio. I get loads of comments from people about how suprisingly quick the clio is, granted these are not petrol heads but they have spent another 5-10k on top and as such expect their car to be quicker, after all its only a clio most people tend to think.

I think some people like power and straight line speeds, where as some love the looks and the handling, I love my clio because of the handling, and just think its a really fun car to drive and looks awesome, if I was after more pace I would of got a r26 and mapped it, love my clio for what it does!

i think they are faster than what they feel, ive never had problem with faster cars within reason, ie stupid fast cars.

another post about how slow the clio is???

Think you'll find that mosts things posted on forums are another post about something..."what coilovers, will these wheels fit, whats the best sound exhaust...."its called 'Forum Tourettes'.

Thought you'd know this subject better than mosts given that you decided to stick a meg engine in yours.....

I think you are living in a different country to me, im unsure where this notion of "not enough speed" is coming from because i certainly never encounter a situation or opertunity during day to day driving where im left thinking "i wish there was more" its normally "why dont you move so i can progress!"

Unless your day to day driving is quater mile drag strips? :smile:

I think you are living in a different country to me, im unsure where this notion of "not enough speed" is coming from because i certainly never encounter a situation or opertunity during day to day driving where im left thinking "i wish there was more" its normally "why dont you move so i can progress!"

Unless your day to day driving is quater mile drag strips? :smile:

Speed, more power, better handling is all relative to the driver. Isn't that why people take off Renaults perectly good exhaust and suspension and replacing them with something else????

I suppose what we've learnt so far is that performance is relative. Each and every person has a differen opinion of what is quick and what lacks. Personally my misses 182 feels so much stronger under the bonnet, it's got some serious grunt. The 197 feels like you've left the handbrake on.

Friends who are proper petrolheads (and know how to drive) after driving mine feel a little disappointed and said openingly that they thought they were faster!!!!

I know its a on-going issue but once you've owned the clio for 6 - 12 months, the lack of power will always generally out weigh the positives of handling (especially outside of track use). It would appear the average ownership time on here is 12 - 16 months, which is short for a site where members mod their cars. Everyones searching for the holy grail and ultimately lose patience....and sell up.

Can you imagine if Ktec or Jamsport sold a Supercharger kit for 4 grand fitted. The Clio would be 250bhp and still 'revvy'.....not sure you'd see as many selling up in the same way.

Shame because its appears that this may never happen.

But it is happening?

Think this is the wrong car for you tbh.

Speed, more power, better handling is all relative to the driver. Isn't that why people take off Renaults perectly good exhaust and suspension and replacing them with something else????

It is indeed all relative. I purchased our mods because they were within a realistic budget and would suit our needs. Akrapovic to make it sound a lot better (Lets be honest in its standard guise the Clio sounds like a breath of wind at full tilt as opposed to a little racer) and H&R coilovers to make it both handle better and look better. Next up for the Green Pea will be the big brake kit as I feel this will further enhance the 200.

The biggest problem with the Clios are their weight. Its a killer. The mods we opted for aid this problem (Not massively I know but every little helps).

OZ lightweight wheels, an exhaust thats 7kg lighter than the standard exhaust, the new brake disc are also considerably lighter than standard.

Everyone knows chasing power in the Clios are a lost (And expensive) cause. Enjoy it for what it is or for what you have made it.

well its plenty fast enough for me and can break the speed limit very quickly indeed...and maintain that speed round the bends....its surprising how much you have to brake for other cars when on the twisties!

based on a performance:£££ ratio its the best :cloud9:

Personally I think the Clio is plenty fast, but you do have to be brave with it and let it rev to get the best out of the engine (not trying to say you don't know how to drive yours litchy!!!)... A mate of mine who likes cars, ie. watches Top Gear, but isn't what you'd call a petrolhead, was very surprised by how quick she was when I took him out one morning. Another friend of mine with an Aston V8V couldn't believe that I kept up with him down the lanes, he's since sold the V8V and is after a 200 for a ''runaround'' instead of having his RS4 as a daily. I've another friend with a BMW 645i and one with a 500BHP+ A4 Quattro who both struggle to keep up on track and on blasts out.

But, in a Traffic Light GP, they would dry-bum me.

Then, that's not really what the Clio is about is it? Abarth 500s feel quick because of how low the torque starts to come in at, yet despite THAT episode of Top Gear in Monaco, an Abarth 500 will not stay with a Clio in a straight line. If your mates are more used to driving cars with oil burners, forced induction or with masses of low-down torque then the Clio will feel a bit weak to them, feel being the word. For example, the Scania at work has 1,500lb.Ft+ of torque and you can really feel it, but, it's powerband is from 1,000RPM-1,500RPM, so it's an instant surge when you put your foot down, anything above 1,500RPM and it feels like it's going to burst itself. They're not slow cars in a straight line by anyones standards, they just don't feel like they're trying to pull your face off...

Last edited:
Your not trying to put me off are you?

I've not got one yet but do not want to hear this:slap:

I've been reading all the write ups in evo and performance car for the last three years or so and the way they have raved about them still makes me want one, if they drive all sorts of exotica and can still rave about an hot hatch, it'll do for me.

Not sure if a clio is for you litchy. For me driving a van all week and then getting the clio for the weekend is a joy, 200 horse with probably the best handling out there I don't think there is much in its class that is any quicker than it. Corsa vxr is a tuners car but to get it up in power you generally lack reliability, and then another couple of grand to get it round a corner and to brake. Civic type r lost its edge and aren't as tunable as the older ep models, to me any other car has turbos and the cost of anything with a turbo ( when things need sorted ) are so much more expensive. Clios na engine seems to be the last we are going to see and to be honest after a few years I think people will miss the revs!

I'm not a car fan, never have been really, what I like is driving.

I discovered Renault when I pucrhased my 172 Cup back in 2003 and here I am again now in a 200.

As driver's cars, they're almost untouchable.

Sure they may not be fast/low/light/torquey enough, but in almost any situation, driving it just feels, 'right'.

That's it for me. Anyone that doesn't get that, sadly, is never likely to.

think willis has hit the nail on the head.
i was more than happy with the standard clio engine, but i had the money and wanted to do something different.
If u wanted a car that was fast in a straight line then u would be moaning about the lack of handling abillity, the trade off is down to personal preferrance

Litchy without offending you, have you had the car on rollers to get a 'rough' idea of what power you have? As i have heard of some lower powered ones, also was yours the cat d/ cat c jobby or am i thinking of someone else?

Also makes sure your rear brakes arent seizing, i had this awile ago, my car would rev normally but literally felt like it was going knowhere.

I dont get it that people say the clio isnt quick enough for them, i live in milton keynes which is full of duel carriageways and roundabouts so i get to drive my car really as fast as i want to go and once warmed you give it the beans off a roundabout it does go well.

I also have a 2008 focus ST which is modded to around 320bhp and that is stupidly quick, but i never get in the clio after driving that and think its slow, far from it, just different.

As others have said if it isnt for you try something else, but for the money i dont think theres anything else around you get the looks, the handling, the fun factor and chuckability of the clio.