"The clio looks faster than it is.."

The clio by far is the best car i have ever been in and driven when it comes to fun! The revvyness of the engine when you behind the wheel going through the gears reaching the end of the rev limiter feels like your driving a 'complete' car. When im giving my clio some stick i get an adrenaline rush. Its sooo addictive and thats the best thing about it! Ive had a few problems with mine but im still not letting her go! Shes just on another level when it comes to giant killing! The amount of peoples cocky smiles ive wiped off their faces when they see a clio staying with them the whole time through a little burn up is such a good feeling,You know when their impressed when they give you a little flash or put their hazards on. I've had a few people stop at traffic lights with me saying, 'im impressed by that!' - Just makes me happy that i bought the clio when i get someone say that :smiley:

For what it is, best hot hatch out there imo!!!

The Clio is awesome, by far the best car I've owned.

When coming from driving a diesel works van, it does feel sluggish, I admit, and certainly with 4 in the car it is slow, most diesel cars on the road will out accelerate me off a roundabout if I'm driving conservatively, but I don't care!

Why not do what someone else did here and swap cars with someone for a month, then see how much you miss your Clio!

Ive owned a few 'hot hatches' over the years from vw gti's to audi a/s 3's and the 200 is by far the best 'all rounder' ive driven! (imo)
The only car that comes close for me (in the cars ive had) is the mk5 vw gti
The 200 is fast enough - and good enough for me thanks

Litchy without offending you, have you had the car on rollers to get a 'rough' idea of what power you have? As i have heard of some lower powered ones, also was yours the cat d/ cat c jobby or am i thinking of someone else?

Not offending in the slightest. Yep bought the car as a cat C, to run soley as a stripped out track car and loved it so just couldn't stop driving it so when changed my job to work locally sold my E90 330d sport, and used this as a daily runner. No finance, bank loans, warranty or ballon payments so didn't care whether I lost or gained from owning it. Only plan was wouldn't borrow a penny to fix it or mod it. All too easy to get the credit card out when moding cars and that wasn't the plan. If I was selling it tmw, for the price it would be up for, I wouldn't have a problem selling it.

Power is 196bhp on proper rollers at RS tuning and not those that tell you, you have 200+ from fitting an exhaust and a filter.

Not suggesting the car isn't fast. Not suggest its not fun or brilliant pound for pound all rounder. Just saying relatively for me if it had another 50 bhp, it would be on another level. I am of the belief that the new car should be faster than the previous model (182) and I'm not sure it is (I know 197 is a more refined car etc...)

Sill love it, one of the best cars for fun I've ever had, still gonna keep playing with it for now (should have enlarged TB fitted by weekend) but driving it like you've stolen it or you want to race someone (even when you don't), isn't always my idea of fun...but being in love with something is also about knowing its failings and shortcomings (or so the wife tells me) lol

Last edited:
Everybody who's been in the clio has been really surprised by how fast it is in a straight line. Granted most of my mates aren't petrolheads and drive normal cars.

I think the real problem is that you get used to the power, I don't think the clio feels fast unless I go for a proper hooligan country road drive but I only get the chance to do this about twice a year!! But....I think only using the car to it's true potential very rarely does make that drive so exciting and make you fall in love with her again

The 182 and the 197 have no difference in performance really. Id say the 197 handles better tho. My mate has a non cup BG182 and when he took it for a spin it was boating terribly! But you give any car an extra 50bhp and it will be on another level. Car manufacturers dont make the next generation of models any faster if they can because they try to keep the same market of buyers. If the 197/200 were quicker then there wouldnt be a megane 225 etc. Your petrol head friends are probably used to fast cars if they are 'real' petrol heads as you say. A Focus ST225 isnt slow but my mate had an evo fq-400 and he said when he drove the ST it felt like driving with the handbrake up. Theres pros and cons with performance, the bigger the engine, the more tax you pay, the more power the engine has, the more you'll be visiting the petrol station.

Just accept the clio for what it is. Its a clio at the end of the day, not a 30k+ sports car. The clio is amazing for what it is!!

Like a few have said, you notice it has enough power when you come from driving a van all week to 180+bhp!!

Not sure if its a 200 thing against the 1*2 but at Rockingham i was behind a 1*2 for a few laps and each time on the main straight i was gaining on him.

Everybody who's been in the clio has been really surprised by how fast it is in a straight line. Granted most of my mates aren't petrolheads and drive normal cars.

I think the real problem is that you get used to the power, I don't think the clio feels fast unless I go for a proper hooligan country road drive but I only get the chance to do this about twice a year!! But....I think only using the car to it's true potential very rarely does make that drive so exciting and make you fall in love with her again

Your right! Trouble with being NA is you need to find the room to really stretch its legs and go for it, which and day time traffic isnt possible which makes turbo cars easier. But when its quiet and have the room i fall for it everytime. To be honest when mine was cammed at 221 i thought that was plenty, even in milton keynes i felt i was running out of room to fast lol!

It is a better car then the 182, my 197 standard definatly felt faster than my 182 does! Its to easy to drop out of the power band in a 182. The 197 engine sings so much better.

Last edited:
Forums are funny places. For a car thats fast enough, why are so many cars on here modded and mapped then? I guess to improve fuel and driverbility. No need for a bhp read out then (eh). No need for RR days then either (?)

Funny cause there doesn't seem to be many that have accepted "Its just a clio" and have left well alone. There are hundreds of posts with people who wanted more power....fitting exhausts, air boxes, cams, inlets etc. If you search when Jamsport fitted the charger to Bics car some time back, it was full of people wanting to know when it was being released and how much it costs. Ok, many got bored of waiting for it to run properly (including Bic).....but the interest was there (and still is I guess).

MikeLYR27 had 221 and even that wasn't fast enough for him....lol.

Its not a debate whether its fast enough, speed limits are generally between 30 - 70 mph so relatively speaking my daughters 106 1.1 is fast enough...otherwise at times, she'll be breaking the law.

Hypothetical question
I take it that if Ktec or Jamsport release a kit that gives you an extra 50bhp for £1000, there will be many on here saying "Not interested, Clio's fast enough for me" or maybe when they attempt to ring Jamsport/ktec, it will be constantly engaged?

Last edited:
Forums are funny places. For a car thats fast enough, why are so many cars on here modded and mapped then? I guess to improve fuel and driverbility. No need for a bhp read out then (eh). No need for RR days then either (?)

Funny cause there doesn't seem to be many that have accepted "Its just a clio" and have left well alone. There are hundreds of posts with people who wanted more power....fitting exhausts, air boxes, cams, inlets etc. If you search when Jamsport fitted the charger to Bics car some time back, it was full of people wanting to know when it was being released and how much it costs. Ok, many got bored of waiting (including Bic).....but the interest was there.

MikeLYR27 had 221 and even that wasn't fast enough for him....lol.

Its not a debate whether its fast enough, speed limits generally between 30 - 70 mph. Relatively speaking my daughters 106 1.1 is fast enough....

People get remaps, cams, etc so they can just do them small improvents to the car they already have. Everyone knows that n/a engines don't gain from remaps, maybe a few horses but nothing noticeable as such. Also people do these little things to their cars so they can be a bit different and stand out from other cars that are the same. I've got an exhaust system on my car and I love it!! Just gives it that extra performance feel and the sound of my car when its at the end ov the high end ov the rev limiter is something else!!! Mines also been remapped. A remap does make the overall drive better. Forget what your petrol head friends said, I see earlier that you bought the car you have for track. If your a brutal driver then you would shrug them comments your friends said off because you know your driving skill would be good enough to impress any hot turbocharged car. The clio can easily bring driver skill out in someone if they have it!

People get remaps, cams, etc so they can just do them small improvents to the car they already have. Everyone knows that n/a engines don't gain from remaps, maybe a few horses but nothing noticeable as such. Also people do these little things to their cars so they can be a bit different and stand out from other cars that are the same. I've got an exhaust system on my car and I love it!! Just gives it that extra performance feel and the sound of my car when its at the end ov the high end ov the rev limiter is something else!!! Mines also been remapped. A remap does make the overall drive better. Forget what your petrol head friends said, I see earlier that you bought the car you have for track. If your a brutal driver then you would shrug them comments your friends said off because you know your driving skill would be good enough to impress any hot turbocharged car. The clio can easily bring driver skill out in someone if they have it!

Take it that if Ktec or Jamsport release a kit that gives you an extra 50bhp for £1000, there will be many on here saying "Not interested, Clio's fast enough for me" or maybe when they attempt to ring Jamsport/ktec, it will be constantly engaged?

Take it that you wouldn't be interested then if you could get 50bhp for £1000 cause its fast enough???

Last edited:
Fast enough for me pal had a Fiesta 1.4 so anythings faster and I can give the Mini and Type R a run for their money.

Take it that if Ktec or Jamsport release a kit that gives you an extra 50bhp for £1000, there will be many on here saying "Not interested, Clio's fast enough for me" or maybe when they attempt to ring Jamsport/ktec, it will be constantly engaged?

Take it that you wouldn't be interested then if you could get 50bhp for £1000 cause its fast enough???

There won't be any kits released for £1000 for a 50bhp increase! Thats extremly cheap. Jamsport do a s/c kit for the clio now and that only gives a 50bhp increase. I rung jamsport up and they told me this and there s/c kit is the same price as the fiesta st s/c kit they do which is £3900 supplied and fitted. Ull never have a kit for a 50bhp increase for £1000. And tbh, I don't think 'everyone' would have it. Only the people that feel let down by their clio because its the wrong car for them. The clio is a totally different drive, and has a totally different power delievery to turbos. I bought my car not because it was quick in a straight line, but because it ticked most of the boxes for me and the most important one was, how much fun the clio is! The clio puts a massssive grin on my face! Before buying a car people need to know what their actually buying 1st. I still love mine because I know I took my time deciding what I wanted and the clio was and still is the best car for me! Amazing little car I will keep saying this!

There won't be any kits released for £1000 for a 50bhp increase! Thats extremly cheap. Jamsport do a s/c kit for the clio now and that only gives a 50bhp increase. I rung jamsport up and they told me this and there s/c kit is the same price as the fiesta st s/c kit they do which is £3900 supplied and fitted. Ull never have a kit for a 50bhp increase for £1000. And tbh, I don't think 'everyone' would have it. Only the people that feel let down by their clio because its the wrong car for them. The clio is a totally different drive, and has a totally different power delievery to turbos. I bought my car not because it was quick in a straight line, but because it ticked most of the boxes for me and the most important one was, how much fun the clio is! The clio puts a massssive grin on my face! Before buying a car people need to know what their actually buying 1st. I still love mine because I know I took my time deciding what I wanted and the clio was and still is the best car for me! Amazing little car I will keep saying this!

Forums should carry a Government health warning. First its a hypothetical question as I know how much supercharger kits are given that I've sold supercharged 330ci BM last year. (funny how you rang them to enquire though) lol. I didn't say its a bad car, or whether its not fast, or mines slow cause its a cat c, or its the wrong car for me (because after driving for nearly 30 years, I've now lost the ability to choose a car).
My view.Given the cars set up, how it looks and handles, an extra 50 bhp would be the cherry on the cake, for me. No problems with any debate cause thats what forums are about but please don't feel the need to attempt to convince me that I'm wrong because its all relative to the individual. The funny thing is, its power delivery (or lack of it) is mentioned in many a mag. Furthermore, Paul at RS tuning (a respected Renault tuner) said the megane engine transplant was how the clio should have been in the first place. Just an opinion.

I think you're missing the point of a NA motor mate. I bought the 200 with full knowledge that I couldn't just chip it for an instant 50bhp gain. I bought the 200 for the throttle response and brilliant handling. I haven't touched the engine or suspension on it as it's damn good straight out of the box.

My 172 is extensively modified for the track and the 200 isn't much slower around a track and alot better to drive on a nice windy country road. Is it as quick as a Cayman? Probably not. Is it as quick in a straight line as a Chavstra? No, but it will probably kill it in the corners.

thats the issue renault would have the "lesser" clio faster than the more expensive megane or would have to have the megane having 300+ to keep in front which probably for them would mean reliability issues....

for what people are comfortable with its plenty fast enough and with all the speed cameras etc its still a licence loser!

i have been on plenty of raods and only when the road is less twisty does it really lose any ground to say a megane 225

perhaps clio4 rs turbo will satisfy the "power hunger" of some

for me the high rev buzz defines the rs clio

People mod their cars because they can, because that optional is available to them and it helps them feel more like its unique to them with thier own personalised touches. Not because they are chasing power figures (at least, thats how it should be otherwise you have the wrong car and should be in some diesel barge).

my opinion is the clio is fast for what it is and a lot of people don't expect it to be as quick as it is when they drive it. Now mine isn't standard but that's just because I feel the car is capable of more the bhp figure I don't know for my car but when it was running sweet it felt amazing and that was the best part the pull in 2nd and 3rd was great.

I spent a long time looking what to buy and this car ticked the boxes but didn't mean I didn't think it was quick enough. :wink:

I don't know if i'm just a wimp, but my car still scares me sometimes....plenty quick enough for me.

My best mate Adam had a 490 bhp Sapphire Cosworth, Grey Injectors, turbo dynamics bb hybrid, 205 Block etc etc that thing was stupid. Clutch was on/off, wouldn't drive around town and did about 18 to the gallon if you were driving it sedately....but

I live in Sandbanks (not bragging, i'm not rich) but we have all manner of exotica floating around down here during the summer months, quite regularly, that Cossie shocked a lot of cars. Nothing like someone in a 911 turbo or 550 Ferrari looking in their rear view mirror to see a couple of working class blokes in G plate Sierra keeping up. But that car was lethal, you couldn't so much as breathe on the throttle whilst the steering wheel was at any angle...rain....forget it.

Adam loves my Clio, he loves everything about it, the seats, driving position and it's grit and determination to never give up in the corners. Compared to his old car, my Clio is pitifully slow...but who cares...at least i can give my car some grief without breaking the sound barrier...lol

Think this is the wrong car for you tbh.

:clap: .

Don't think i've ever seen one person post as many threads re: looking extra performance etc. Maybe doing a bit more reading up about how difficult and expensive large gains are to achieve on the Clio before purchasing would have been a good idea.

If you want an extra 50bhp, buy a Megane / do an engine transplant / or fit a supercharger.