Supercharged 306bhp GW197 T333DOB

Engine dynamics do a diy turbo kit for around £3000 iirc. It makes 250 bhp and similar torque on standard internals. The compression ratio is also left standard. Worth having a look at.

Engine dynamics do a diy turbo kit for around £3000 iirc. It makes 250 bhp and similar torque on standard internals. The compression ratio is also left standard. Worth having a look at.

Yeah was looking at that too. Weighting on the sc because it can be so discreet.

Turbo kit will definitely need to be dekit for inspection or what you guys called mot. Thus abit troublesome.

Can't believe no ones
made a proper kit
for the Clio! There is a massive gap
in market for it. It wouldn't be that hard to knock a kit up. Just need bracket making which can mount where AC is.

Pipe work, cooler .

ktecs 4.5k was bit of
a joke!

Can't believe no ones
made a proper kit
for the Clio! There is a massive gap
in market for it. It wouldn't be that hard to knock a kit up. Just need bracket making which can mount where AC is.

Pipe work, cooler .

ktecs 4.5k was bit of
a joke!

Would be easy to make up a bracket for a rotrex c30. [MENTION=6967]Chris_200CUP[/MENTION]

I know it would. Be one easiest conversions to
do on the Clio.

Even routing pipe pipe work wouldn't be much of
a issue.

jamsport did a kit, dunno how much it is. Long
as they didn't map
It then it Be ok

I wouldn't dream of supercharging again unless i had the opportunity to use a pre-made and used kit.
As said, the compression is an issue, i was forced to run with lower revs to stop me snapping rods.
In the Uk the meg transplant is the sensible option. Abroad id look at the turbo kit.
Another issue is that to get 250 bhp you will have to restrict the charger which will mean your still spinning the charger for 300bhp+ and only getting a lot less.
Supercharging a forged bock would be ideal, but by the time youve spent that money, you could have dropped in a 250 engine with a hybrid turbo and be running over 320bhp.

Sorry about the messy post, written while half asleep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and avoid jamsport, the kit i had from them wasnt great, the charger sat in a silly place that took room for a cooler. I believe charged 182's replace the AC which would work on the 197 if done correctly

I wouldn't dream of supercharging again unless i had the opportunity to use a pre-made and used kit.
As said, the compression is an issue, i was forced to run with lower revs to stop me snapping rods.
In the Uk the meg transplant is the sensible option. Abroad id look at the turbo kit.
Another issue is that to get 250 bhp you will have to restrict the charger which will mean your still spinning the charger for 300bhp+ and only getting a lot less.
Supercharging a forged bock would be ideal, but by the time youve spent that money, you could have dropped in a 250 engine with a hybrid turbo and be running over 320bhp.

Sorry about the messy post, written while half asleep

I have read your setup. You really should either forged the engine or run a bigger pulley and reduce the boost to 0.4-0.5, for useable power and reliability. 300bhp is too much to ask for stock internal.

My preferred choice will to run a 0.5 bar and rev the hell out of it.

Reliability > power

and avoid jamsport, the kit i had from them wasnt great, the charger sat in a silly place that took room for a cooler. I believe charged 182's replace the AC which would work on the 197 if done correctly

I think that's because it was basically a modified Fiesta ST kit.

if you're going to boost it, do it properly imho i.e. forged bottom end, could even use a megane 225 bottom end with 197/200 head. No point looking for workarounds on a standard engine such as lower rev limit or having a restrictor on the 'charger as you'll only end up worrying about when it melts a piston rather than if (with boost you'll melt a standard 197/200 piston before you bend a rod), not to mention the frustration of not being able to use it to its full potential!

Matts green one is up in Scotland now, and gets abused all time on track. Sure that's standard engine .

like say to get most out of it need forge it but if going do that then go turbo route.

IMO the Clio doesn't need a massive hike in power. A extra 25/30bhp and say Simialir torque would be perfect

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother forging the engine if you're planning on running no more than 250 bhp imo, even more so if you're using a supercharger as opposed to a turbo. If you're really worried, just drop the compression ratio and use meth injection.

You could use a thicker headgasket or multiple gaskets, which would work but is a bit of a bodge. Would probably be fine if all you were after was an extra 30-40bhp. I would definitely look at meth if I were keeping standard clio bottom end, absolutely.
Also an option if you're taking the engine apart and probably just as cheap as a thicker gasket (and much safer) would be to find an old megane engine and use the pistons and rods. The pistons would have no problem handling the boost and more importantly the heat - would the 197 pistons even handle the heat? I read of one guy on here who tried twice to SC his clio with standard bottom end, and both times it melted pistons. The rods would be fine as they're the same as the megane ones anyway. All depends what you're after really!
I'd love to see someone give this a go, and build one which actually works, so far they've all either gone bang or been sold before they were finshed :worried: