Saxo Vts vs Clio 200

Random saxo vts tried racing me the other day, and i think its fair to say it was perfectly even..
Now im putting it down to weight, but do you think this is normal?!
The situation was this:

I had 2 passengers, plus 2 bags of horse food in boot (25 kg each)
Saxo driver was alone, car was maybe stripped

We came onto dual carridgeway and i couldnt get past! (only went 70 mph of course)

Do you think this is normal? i didnt think weight would play as big a part as that?

anyone else been in a similiar situation? i need to make myself feel better!

Well the result is reasonable taking into consideration the following facts:

-You had 170kgs extra which is about 2 - 3 car lengths difference up to that speed
-You only went up to 70 mph in which case weight really matters and the extra cc we have are not in their full potential against a smaler cc car which will lack power as speeds go up.
-Saxo vts is of course lighter but at least around here you never know real specs of a random saxo vts/106 rallye so there's no real conclusion to be made.

Now as a general note in order for you to take advantage of our car's power you need to shift right before the limiter of course. From a recent test i've done with a 106 rallye at abt 175hp and 1000kg we were dead even from 60kmh to 190kmh and i am 197 original gearing (longer 2nd shorter 4-5-6) stock with no rear seats so around 1220kg.

Last edited:
I'd just put id down to the extra weight in the 200. You also have to remember the 2.0 N/A 200 isn't designed to be quick in a straight line, however i'd imagine it'd be quick enough to pass a Saxo! You'd have him in the corners though!:thumbup:

This conversation isn't really conclusive as we don't know anything other than that it was a saxo and he was alone. He may have had his boot loaded with heavy items, it may have been modified, or it may have been completely standard

weight mate..try to track ur car with another 200kgs on board..u will never keep up..simple..

Random saxo vts tried racing me the other day, and i think its fair to say it was perfectly even..
Now im putting it down to weight, but do you think this is normal?!
The situation was this:

I had 2 passengers, plus 2 bags of horse food in boot (25 kg each)
Saxo driver was alone, car was maybe stripped

We came onto dual carridgeway and i couldnt get past! (only went 70 mph of course)

Do you think this is normal? i didnt think weight would play as big a part as that?

anyone else been in a similiar situation? i need to make myself feel better!

How did you explain to the 2 passengers that you had just made a fool out of yourself against a saxo or were they already laughing their heads off ?
I'm now laughing my head off at the fact you think the saxo was stripped and your carrying out a post mortem.

How did you explain to the 2 passengers that you had just made a fool out of yourself against a saxo or were they already laughing their heads off ?
I'm now laughing my head off at the fact you think the saxo was stripped and your carrying out a post mortem.

Tbh, I think I'd need counselling after after being beaten by a Saxo!:rofl:

Tbh, I think I'd need counselling after after being beaten by a Saxo!:rofl:

He never said he was beaten, he said it was perfectly even.

People are laughing at a sack doing well but they are decent cars performance wise. Not great by any means, just reasonable for the price.

The Clio is a damn quick car on straights too. If you make the assumption that its not based on your own experience and not what other fanboys claim then you are not driving your clio properly or you're comparing against modified cars.

Don't take my word for it, ask @Raptor6767 who is experienced and can confirm or go out and make your own tests against your friends' stock cars.

Last edited:
He never said he was beaten, he said it was perfectly even.

People are laughing at a sack doing well but they are decent cars performance wise. Not great by any means, just reasonable for the price.

Lets be honest, anything other than a win against a 120 hp Saxo VTS (presuming its stock) is a loss in my eyes, bearing in mind the age/technology difference . I'm sure both the driver and his passenger expected to win even with the extra weight in the 200. As you say Kudos to the Citroen though!

Considering this was nothing near a race but completely random as he describes, if he just stomped the gas with 4th and 2000rpm he'll get beaten by a 1.2 TDI van up to 70mph.

Weight plays a big part in this - the VTS weighs about 950kg and the 200 about 1200kg. Add to that the weight of the passengers and the cargo and it's no great surprise that it was evens.

Moral of the story: got to be careful when and who with that you pick your fights :wink:

Lets be honest, anything other than a win against a 120 hp Saxo VTS (presuming its stock) is a loss in my eyes, bearing in mind the age/technology difference . I'm sure both the driver and his passenger expected to win even with the extra weight in the 200. As you say Kudos to the Citroen though!

We still can't ask the passengers they are still laughing their heads off, their not the only ones, this thread gets funnier by the post keep it going.

Interesting I posted about pulling off fast from the lights got slagged off to f@@@ and the thread locked. I am no boy racer I'm 48 for gods sake. Bit of the old double standards me thinks.