Saxo VTR

An opposite neighbour (who I don't really know) of ours has a Saxo VTR for sale for £800.....it is a 53 plate car that looks very tidy and has been run by the lady of the house (late 30's to mid 40's) for as long as I can remember....I suspect it has a low to average mileage, say 60k......seems like a bargain with Parkers valuing such a motor for about £1500 in good condition....I am going to have a look later as we need a run-about! Is there any issues I should be particularly aware of with these cars...what are peoples opinions on the price?

I had one for my second car and loved it when everything was working!! If it has a sun roof make sure that the drain holes are clear as it can leak into the passenger footwell which i found to my cost lol

...thanks for your advice guys....I am thinking there might be a mechanical/electrical issue that needs a fix and they can't be bothered to do it.... hence the price! I will find out this evening and let you know.....secretly (and don't tell the Missus) I am thinking this is a good car to introduce myself to some track days so it is likley I will throw some cash at it anyway (if I bought it).......

I test drove one before getting my fiesta zetec-s and they're great handling little cars. Only real issue I had with the drive was that the pedals are offset due to the wheel arch coming into the footwell, means you sit a bit sideways!

If you're going to track it then I would definitely get a full cage, these things fold up like a tin can in a crash.

Look in arches for rust, also under boot carpet, check rad and oil caps for mayonnaise type gunk if so needs head gasket change, look at alignment of rear axle to make sure it's straight, check sunroof not leaking, gasket seal on head not leaking oil, all common problems sure there's more people can add, get it handling is awesome on VTRs, as it's same running kit as a vts apart from engine and couple other bits and pieces.

I'd buy that!!!! Even if it does need stuff doing, parts are silly cheap now for it!!!!

^^ and some glue if my experience with Saxo is anything to go by.

for £800 its worth a punt if you've some spare cash and time. Would love one of these as a track toy

As said, check the rear axel. If the bearing are starting to go it will show with the wheels pointing inwards / \ instead of | | if you see what i mean. The driveshafts are also rubbish on these cars. When braking if you get any vibration through the wheel, whilst it could be warped disks yes, it could also be the front wheel bearing on offending side giving up as did on mine.

Check for grinding at high revs from 2nd into 3rd is always a winner on these although more so in the VTS it seems.

Heat shields and standard exhaust not being aligned properly is an easy fix but god it sounds awful.

Tbh they are an awesome car, loved mine when i had it.

You not bought this yet?

...no...the owner hasn't been around to ask any questions or have a good look around it.....in any case i don't think I can justify a second car for the sake of it....but I am still very tempted..........