197 vs Saxo

Over the past few weeks one of my best mates, has been doing an engine conversion on his Saxo, bought a VTS lump, rebuilt the engine, ECU unlocked etc. Tonight was the first night he brought it out to show few of us, as he has had a few other cosmetic bits done to tidy it up etc.

Anyway to cut a story short, few of lads said they wouldnt mind seeing how it faired against my 197, I never thrash my car, just abit of spirited driving (normally motorway driving to work), and just filled up with VPower, so we headed out to the local dual carriageway.

Coming off the first roundabout, both went for it - and although he didnt pass me, he was with me every single step of the way. Taking my gears to the green change light throughout. With about two lengths on him during gear 3. I was'nt particularly surprised, probably running about 130bhp+ with engine rebuild, exhaust etc. I mostly had him through roundabouts with the Brembo's and handling.

Sat here I love my 197, wouldnt get rid of it for any other hot hatch - just a reality check. Anyone else had any experiences of smaller cars = weight ratio?

They are light and nippy, doesnt really surprise me. Good cars!! In the right hands they will surprise people!

How much does the saxo weigh though? Must be pretty light, the mk3 Clio is a bit of a porker.

Think its only about 950kg? I think anyway! But thats why there a 2 star safety rating :wink: Wouldnt want to stack it!! lol

How much does the saxo weigh though? Must be pretty light, the mk3 Clio is a bit of a porker.

Oh yeah it's definetly the weight (900kg iirc) couple of my other mates have had some, and when we drove to TRAX last year, keeping up with us and my other mate in his Cooper S.

Just making sure it's not just me, who has had this sort of experience, of lighter cars with less power....

I used to own a Saxo VTS, a very quick little car but about as safe as a torn condom!
If you want to have fun and survive any unfortunate accidents then theres your reality check.
I'm not surprised he kept up with you, the Saxo weighs about the same as Dawn French. LOL

I used to own a Saxo VTS, a very quick little car but about as safe as a torn condom!
If you want to have fun and survive any unfortunate accidents then theres your reality check.
I'm not surprised he kept up with you, the Saxo weighs about the same as Dawn French. LOL

Lmfao I think kos is right.

Got to remember the clio is prob only producing 180-185 bhp and maybe 300kg heavier. Standard 106 GTI or Saxo VTS is fair game against one

I struggled to pull away from a 150bhp corsa, was really suprised until I saw his car was stripped out and I had a passenger and boot full of stuff

Ye the 197 weighs 1250 kg dry.With a full tank and a passenger you are looking at nearly a ton and a half! Which for a car with 185 bhp is quite a bit! Lol!

if you want light buy a 182, if you want brakes and handling get a 197 :wink:

Our 182 is definately faster in a straight line, and was when standard, but the 197 makes up so much ground in the braking zones

yet more proof that even the standard chassis set-up on a 197 is the mutts plums.

outdoing something fairly capable that's over a third lighter is why we all have one.

i had a guy in a 55 plate 2.5L quattro tt right on my diffuser last night, as soon as we exited a set of 2 tight roundabouts he was about 25-30yds back. as i let him pass on a dual carriageway further on to see what engine he was packing he slowed down alongside, gave my cup a proper eye-balling and gave a nod of approval.

yet more proof that even the standard chassis set-up on a 197 is the mutts plums.

outdoing something fairly capable that's over a third lighter is why we all have one.

i had a guy in a 55 plate 2.5L quattro tt right on my diffuser last night, as soon as we exited a set of 2 tight roundabouts he was about 25-30yds back. as i let him pass on a dual carriageway further on to see what engine he was packing he slowed down alongside, gave my cup a proper eye-balling and gave a nod of approval.

2.5 tt?? its either a 1.8T in 225 form which I had was slower than my 172 or its a 3.2 v6 which is a few bhp/ton better than the 225. They are slow heavy cars....if you said it had a carbon fibre roof then you did well in the 197 cos it'd be a sport 240 and they are quite good weapons

There is a stripped and tuned 106 near me only had a play once and I was shocked how fast it was under acceleration. Braking and cornering it was laughable though - nearly wet myself as he had to break that early! :lol:

The 197 is the perfect all-rounder. Think about it acceleration is only one aspect and they aren't bad, just not the best. It is other stuff which it excels at and I cannot get enough of the cornering speeds etc!

Dont worry its not just you mate. The 197, in my opinion, is slow and under powered for its size.

Starlets and Cooper S's like to prey on me down the local race nights lol, when my spray tanks empty at least :tongueout:

2.5 tt?? its either a 1.8T in 225 form which I had was slower than my 172 or its a 3.2 v6 which is a few bhp/ton better than the 225. They are slow heavy cars....if you said it had a carbon fibre roof then you did well in the 197 cos it'd be a sport 240 and they are quite good weapons

well it was red and had a small black 'lip' spoiler on the back if that helps?

I eat TT's for breakfast they handle like jelly. and honestly i wudnt have 1 if it was given to me cus they the ugliest cars ever lol

I eat TT's for breakfast they handle like jelly. and honestly i wudnt have 1 if it was given to me cus they the ugliest cars ever lol

+1 for comedy handling!!!!....but when i had mine they were relatively new and fresh and appealing, but havent aged well

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D New Members 0
R Clio 197 Area 11
chris_blue Car Parts For Sale 0
R New Members 4
C Clios For Sale 2