Road tax to be scrapped next year

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25223631

Well not really, perhaps added onto something else but I dont like the idea of paying monthly by direct debit.

I am under no illusion that motorists will be "better off" from this, in fact the money will be going to a big pot as usual and perhaps not being spent on roads. I think the potholes will still continue to be part of motoring.

Not really, 5% more for 6 months down from 10%, and 10% extra for monthly direct debit. Just pay all in one.

I still don't see the point of having a physical tax disc when everything is electronic these days.

I read it as it doesnt cost more. Either pay annually or monthly - in which case the sum of month paymentd is the annual + 5%.

whereas paying 6 monthly is +10%?

I'm sure it says that currently paying for 6 months costs 10% more than paying for a year but this will probably be reduced to 5%.

And that paying monthly will also be 5% more than paying for a year.

All I can see is it'll be more controllable with everything being electronic, not leaving it up to the individual to go to post office etc, or forget to go do it online, you set up a DD and forget about it.

Can't see it as a bad thing tbh, and it leaves you with a better looking windscreen lol.

Glad I don't have to pay it as mine is payed from my disability allowance.Still a load of bullocks though no wonder they call themselves HIGHWAY MEN

Paying monthly makes a lot more sense really. How many other bills do you only pay annually? Gas,Water,Electric,Council Tax etc are all monthly bills. At least there'll be now big bill every 6/12 months.

I don't agree with paying 5% more if you're paying monthly. Not if you're paying by Direct Debit. They know they'll get the money, and if they don't they fine you anyway, so why have a 5% admin charge? Most companies (Gas/Electric) give you a DISCOUNT for paying by DD.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Clio General Chat 5
W General Chat 3
Matt197 General Chat 36
djjackwilson General Chat 21
J Clio General Chat 3