Renaultsport power figures from factory..

Antti O

Gold Member
My clio gave only 185bhp in the dyno. There should be 197bhp. What i have been seen in this forum it is normal. In the same dyno couple of bmws produced over 10-15bhp over factory spec. For example E36 328i single vanos 194bhp in specs but gave 218bhp.

Do someone know what this is all about?

its actually 194bhp standard, 197 is ps, its normal, the f4r is know not to make stock figures, yours is not a bad figure, ive seen worse.

Yeah unfortunately it is normal for them to be underpowered. The quotes figure is in PS so 197PS is approx 194bhp and 200PS is approx 197bhp. Be greatful its 185, mine has a few mods and a remap and its only 187bhp ha ha.

Ignore the figures, just enjoy driving it :smile:

Was it an engine dyno you had your engine on?

If not then your results mean nothing. BHP is a fictional unit and cannot actually be measured. A rolling road will measure Torque, at the wheels, and then GUESS what the BHP is after using a series of equations. The ONLY thing a rolling road is good for (apart from mapping in a controlled environment) is doing comparison runs so you can see if there's been an increase after fitting modifications.

I don't understand why people get so hung up on some numbers on a bit of paper, if it drives fine and it's healthy then that's the main thing. There will always be some variation in power output between cars because there is SO many variables, especially when measured on a rolling road. Saying that I've heard that a few 197s have been sh!t to drive so there are a few poorly ones out there by the sounds of it.

For what it's worth mine made 193.5BHP with just a panel filter...

That graph doesn't look right.

The BHP and Torque curves should generally cross at around 5000-5300RPM but they cross a lot lower on yours so I'm not sure what calculation they're using... As long as it drives fine and feels nice and strong then don't worry!!! :smile:

Last edited:
That graph doesn't look right.

The BHP and Torque curves should cross at around 5000-5300RPM but they cross a lot lower on yours

That would all depend on the scale used on the y axis of the graph. It can be made to cross anywhere you like if you change the scale

I cant tell more about that dyno or how it calculates. Car runs well and pulls ok in my opinion.

Yeah didn't notice the scale as I'm only on the iPhone so photo is only little!!! :smiley:

renault power figures will quoted in din standard - engine in a dyno cell and measured a certain way...

rolling roads calculate the torque/power and "guess" transmission losses and give a final figure!

as said an engine produes "torque" and power is a calculation of torque x revs...

as they say "torque is what you feel power is what you pay for"

some engines give more some give less - all to do with production tolerances - hence the "race car" reference of "blue printing"

The F4R and engine layout prove to be quite interesting.. dyno'd mine and made 186 as standard then on same rollers, same day a civic type-r made 203bhp. Although the clio had marginally more torque (5lb/ft) on the road there was nothing to separate the two in a straight drag -I assume the induction setup must be doing something right when at a bit of speed..

185 seems normal, how many miles are on the car? seen a few at 50k+ miles seem to of loosened up a bit and make a bit more..

-Andy

From what I've seen at dyno days the Megane 250 makes above quoted figures. You do see some 172s making 170 - 174 in stock form...

The F4R and engine layout prove to be quite interesting.. dyno'd mine and made 186 as standard then on same rollers, same day a civic type-r made 203bhp. Although the clio had marginally more torque (5lb/ft) on the road there was nothing to separate the two in a straight drag -I assume the induction setup must be doing something right when at a bit of speed..

that depends on the vehicle weights as well wouldnt you say?

civic could have more power but be heavier so negate the advantage?

From what I've seen at dyno days the Megane 250 makes above quoted figures. You do see some 172s making 170 - 174 in stock form...

seen dyno figures from mine on 3 different rolling roads from 177 - 208!!!!

that depends on the vehicle weights as well wouldnt you say?

civic could have more power but be heavier so negate the advantage?

it was an EP3 so 1270kg, and mine is a 200 cup and had a load of crap in it -so weight more of less the same, of course gearing, dif ratio, tyre sizes, drag co-eff etc etc..

-just saying the clio seems to be very effective even if it is down on stated power..

it was an EP3 so 1270kg, and mine is a 200 cup and had a load of crap in it -so weight more of less the same, of course gearing, dif ratio, tyre sizes, drag co-eff etc etc..

-just saying the clio seems to be very effective even if it is down on stated power..

to be honest i thought the ep3 were the same-ish as a 197 cup ie 1200kg-ish?

i have read and got a few mags with the clio and civic in and the clio has far better torque figure than the civic and is dare i say "less peaky"!!!

Last edited:
Mine has managed 190 to 204 on different times and rollers. As long has it didn't show any horrors with the fueling I'm happy.

I would say luck of the draw there are some out there that are not far of the factory figures and some well low,good maintained engine from the start must help.