reducing plenum temps

Blank the end and it'll be just fine.

I believe that you won't gain anything noticeable/if any with this kind of cooling (of the plenum), HOWEVER any gain is still a gain. :smiley:

Bit by bit. :smiley:

totally agree mate,like i said i watched plenum temps rise considerably whilst my car got mapped on monday so just thought this may help slightly,and its free!!!

Did you consider a ptfe gasket or ceramic coating when so "obsessed" with inlet temps? :wink:

Last edited:
I had a PTFE gasket on mine and according to my scan gauge it didn't make a noticeable difference. Because the plenum is sited directly above the engine it will inevitably get hot.

maybe both ptfe gasket and ceramic coat the plenum/inlet as raptor said

maybe both ptfe gasket and ceramic coat the plenum/inlet as raptor said

the gasket between the 2 pieces of the plenum you mean? never heard of ceramic coating bofore,can anyone tell me more,thinking it may look quite cool as well as being effective

Taken from Zircotec..........

Our ceramic coatings are highly effective when used on engine exhaust system components including exhaust manifolds, exhaust headers, cat boxes, turbochargers and tail pipes, helping to protect sensitive components from the effects of heat. They reduce underbonnet temperatures, increase engine performance, help solve engine packaging issues, and improve engine compartment safety. Based on our proprietary ThermoHold® formulation, these ceramic coatings can only be applied by Zircotec. A series of patent applications are in progress to protect our technology yet further. Our coatings have been proven to:

Reduce underbonnet temperatures by up to 50oC (122oF), as independently measured & confirmed by DAMAX Race Engineering;
Increase engine performance, eg. a 30oC drop in intake air temperature can deliver a 6% increase in power, or can increase engine efficiency leading to less fuel usage;
Extend the life of vulnerable components and thereby enhance engine reliability.

PTFE gasket goes between the head and inlet. According to APD there was no benefit in a PTFE between upper and lower inlet.

there isnt going to be really is there - it might "reduce or slow" the heat build up as it insulates the manifold but once its hot under the bonnet it will be as hot as items around it

Taken from Zircotec..........

Our ceramic coatings are highly effective when used on engine exhaust system components including exhaust manifolds, exhaust headers, cat boxes, turbochargers and tail pipes, helping to protect sensitive components from the effects of heat. They reduce underbonnet temperatures, increase engine performance, help solve engine packaging issues, and improve engine compartment safety. Based on our proprietary ThermoHold® formulation, these ceramic coatings can only be applied by Zircotec. A series of patent applications are in progress to protect our technology yet further. Our coatings have been proven to:

Reduce underbonnet temperatures by up to 50oC (122oF), as independently measured & confirmed by DAMAX Race Engineering;
Increase engine performance, eg. a 30oC drop in intake air temperature can deliver a 6% increase in power, or can increase engine efficiency leading to less fuel usage;
Extend the life of vulnerable components and thereby enhance engine reliability.

very interesting mate,cheers

Coating isn't cheap but from everything I've read in the past it seems well worth it. I know it's popular in the Impreza scene and I've heard of people having entire exhausts done from the Turbo back.

Coating isn't cheap but from everything I've read in the past it seems well worth it. I know it's popular in the Impreza scene and I've heard of people having entire exhausts done from the Turbo back.

also used a lot in racing to give cars an extra edge over the competition

always remember a snippet about a ferrari f1 engine letting go in a race - this was due to a "new" chemical coating used that was released from nasa and the usa military "secrets" list as such...

alot of the new small capacity engines are now using piston skirt coatings to reduce friction!

You're forgetting that N/A engines don't have such big problems with (over)heat(ing) as the supercharged do. So, this data (50°C lower temp) should be taken with a bit of scepticism.

However, I believe there will be some lowered temperature - but it comes down to your expectations and the amount of money willing to spend (or how would the Americans say - "bang for the buck" - it's relative depending of each of us).

i.e. when you hit the wall (don't know what else to modify when you done it all :smile: )with modifying your car, this just might be the next/final step.

Last edited:

funny you should say that will,my mate drives a scooby hatch and he tells me its quite common in there little scene,as is meth injection and 400BHP,*******s!!!

My choice would be a remodelled rs2 type inlet to get the common inlet away from the top of the engine or, heat shielding between the inlet plenum and / or redirect your cooling air between the block and the plenum

If you are serious on it, get a machinist to remove the ' webbing ' between the fingers of the plenum as a starting point, then direct your cooling air between the 'four fingers' you are left with