Rear Speakers - Detach or replace?

Before I go and book the car into the installers, I need to know about the rear speakers, the only query I have left.

Should I get them detached altogether, or get them replaced with something better?

Just need to know as we are getting pricey Pioneer's installed in the front

It all depends if you want any rear fill? You could also just turn them down using the fade setting on your headunit.

Would be nice if it makes the music in the car sound better, but to be honest most of the time there will only be me & my other half in the car

Personally I'd just turn them down a bit so the fronts do most of the work but the backs fill out out so you don't feel like your trying to over power the fronts to fill the whole car.

Although I heard taking out the rears adds 5bhp :wink: :smiley:

just to put in to prospective there is a 1500watt sub to go in the boot (won't be running at full bass as much as he above may like) so I'm thinking might need the rears going to adjust for the bass.

Wattage of the sub doesn't really matter, you can adjust the gain on the amp and the sub level from the headunit. If the bass is overpowering then just turn it down :smile:

The purpose of rear speakers is just to fill the car with mid to high frequencies, if you like the instruments and vocals coming from behind you as well as in front then keep the rear speakers. If you want the music just in front of you then remove them. A correctly setup subwoofer is non-directional, i.e. you can't tell where the bass is coming from so even with the sub in the back music should still sound like its coming from the front (Without rear speakers).

I would like to keep the rears as I want sound in the whole of the car, not just in front, as I prefer "surround sound" but as they will not be Pioneer specials they will have to be cranked right down so they dont crackle when the volume is up high.

Would it be worth replacing them with something better, so I would not have to turn them down at all?

I like having the vocals and instruments he like bass (and more bass if possible) I normally have it adjusted on the amp to keep it within reason at either end of the scale then have 2 settings through the headunit. one with lots of bass (for him and his dub) and one with less for my mixture of music.

I'd prefer to have the rears going.

edit: upgrade the rears Matt it's the only thing your having to finance do it! lol
(I'm paying for everything else :tongueout:)

Last edited:
Oi! None of that you!

If I did decide to upgrade the back speakers at the same time, could anyone recommend ones to go for? Im getting the £100 pioneers for the front, so hopefully not something wallet busting for the back speakers

Its booked!!!! :jump1:

Booked in for next tuesday now, and having a shedload of installs done:

Alpine Headunit (already bought) replacing standard and fitting this one
Front Pioneer Speakers (£100 ones) supply & fit (2 hour job)
Back Pioneer speakers supply & fit
Subwoofer (already bought)
Amplifier (JL G4500) supply & fit all the wiring to the sub & amp

For everything, he has charged me £500, which I think, all and all, this is a good deal, as its everything done all in the 1 hit.

What do you guys think, worth the money?

How's he fitting the comps? On standard wiring? On standard door card mounts? If so, he must be doing it on slow motion for 2 hrs labour! lol

Where are you having your tweeters?

As an overall figure though, that seems a reasonable price.

Was just about to say, if the pioneers are the renault fit ones then it will literally take 15 mins for an amateur to swap them over

If your going for the custom fit speakers, fit them yourself, as you are paying over the odds for this feature. If your going to pay someone to fit it all for you, then get a better speaker for the same price, and let him cut the tabs off/fit the tweets imo

he is doing all the wiring only wires I'm giving in are the amp to sub ones as I have hq leads for it. will see if he can put the tweeters on the pillars (as a golf has) or top of door cards like I've seen done.
the current tweeters reverberate a bit much where they are.
no pioneer ones aren't Renault fit. I've fitted speaker/headunit/sub/amps to my fiesta before so not exactly out of my depth just more want soneone else to do it for once :lol:

the speakers we are getting aren't the obes made for renault. TSE130Ci is the model number.
we specifically asked for these and he ordered them in

Last edited:
I can understand the 2 hours to fit components now, they'll need to take a cable through the door loom or bodge the current cable. I would specifically ask them to take a new cable through though so that you can easily put back to standard when you sell the car.

A-pillar builds will probably cost you an extra 100-150 quid and might be a bit of a problem with the curtain airbags. I've heard that tweeters in the top of the dash can be ok with some fine tuning