Pulled by the police! :(

yes yes yes... :worried: i got caught tonight..

got pulled over as my HIDs were apparently too bright...

currently sitting on 6000k H7's (Brand new bulbs in)

Police have no proof that the lights are anything above 6000k

so just a heads up, police are coming down hard on exterior lights

gav

Last edited:
they've been custom dipped maz...

i've emerged prism side lights beside them so it balances the colour out

Gutted, but its about time they clamped down on this type of thing.

Glad you got let of with out a fine though, might not be so lucky next time so get them changed.

Sorry!!, my fault on the post. They ARE 6000ks, with new bulbs.. So they look a hunt of blue, still road legal according to halfords and passed MOT with them aswell.

Depends how high they were, but tbh white lights are nothing new. BMW's etc come with them as standard now.

I havent even dared putting them into the Clio due to Police just pray on young guys with fast cars hence why they target me for driving at 30 round town! GRR.

they've passed for legal standard, they passed MOT with them..

i think it's just becuase they're new and havent died down as of yet.

So does anyone know the actual score with the hids?? Everything I read about them contradicts something else. Several shops have told me they are legal with my particular headlights?? People on here say they are not??

I'd love to upgrade my headlights especially with winter coming. Illegal on a technicality I could deal with ie headlight washers as I'll just keep the car gleaming, but if theyre likely to blind people then theyre a no go.

Liambo, u from Glasgow?

haha, i've been known for causing havoc round town, never learn!... not breaking any laws, so there's nout they can do! :smile:

Haha! Nah mate im from further north Peterhead (30 miles north of Aberdeen) Im the same 'never' breaking any laws but always getting questioned..

I think you will find they are illegal in the sense that the HID kits do not come with headlamp washers and self-levelling, if the police were to crack down hard on this like they have done with front tints then you would by law have to remove them or fit the above to make them comply.

But as it stands the police don't give a **** and would rather chase speeders in their aim to make it as unacceptable as drink and drive.

I asked the police, they have no proof of the difference between 6000k and 8000k

8000k are more blue which the police say often gets mistaken for police cars, ambulances etc..

the legal limit is the following.

6000K HID H7 lights are the legal limit...

YOU CAN HAVE 8000Ks

**BUT**

You need to get prism side lights to balance out the intensity.

exactly mate,

if you pass an MOT then it's classifed as a legal modification, my mate has his own garage and said they were fine.

the police were ok about it in the end, just doing their job i guess, young guy, fast car..

totally understanable.

HID kits do have a leveling setting on them, you're not allowed them about level 2 unless you're on a clear road.

I did a lot or reseach into these last year, and technically there are no legal HID kits.

Halfords were wrong to tell you they were, and if your MOT station were being strict and knew what they were they would fail them

The only time its legal is if they are a type approved by VOSA, IIRC, they are fitted by an approved centre, and they have the auto level function. But they are no fits that fit the VOSA approval lol

it was a halford techncian that fitted them, he said they were fine, then i went round to my mates MOT garage, he said they'd pass aswell, i've swapped the 8000k bulbs with 6000k btw graeme, cheers for that mate.

Similar Thread Suggestions