old 200 v 200t

I thought I'd give a comparison on both the Clio 200's as I've had the luxury off owning both.first off I owned my last Clio rs 200 for nearly two years reg was(sy61xee) dunno if anyone on here has bought it or seen it going about i have had the 200t for nealy two months now anyway bk to my review the old Clio 200 was and still is an amazing car to drive and to look at the one I owned was a full fat with cup chassis and recaro seats and cup spoiler I have to admit the exterior is far better looking than the 200t,the interior on the old Clio did look basic and felt cheap but that's what we all like about them it wasn't about tech or gadgets it was about a hardcore hot hatch and that's exactly what it was.don't get me wrong the 200t does have a nice interior but it misses the recaro seats which Is a real shame.

Now on to driving,it certainly has lost some off its appeal the cup chassis is way to soft compared to the last Clio rs cup chassis,I have to admit I do miss the manual gear box but the auto gearbox Is and can be fun especially the paddleshifts,pushing the rs button does transform the 200t into a weapon off a car and race mode and launch control is fun I just can't help but feel they should have stuck with what they do best and make a hot hatch without all the special gimmicks and gadgets.if i had the chance I'd defo go bk to my old 200 or maybe over time the 200t with grow on me even more only time will tell........

Last edited:
I am in the same position. Owned a 197 (normal chassis) since 2007 and since 6 months driving with a 200T cup chassis. The cup chassis is can be compared to the normal chassis from the 197. (maybe a little bit stiffer on the suspensions, but not much). The new one is a total different car but also fun one to drive. I understand that the real hardcore hot hatch fans are going to be a little dissapointed. The clio 200 t has less "passion" The engine is fast but not as "addictive" as the one from my 197.
It is really a shame that they throw away the double axis strut system, there is much more torque steer than with my previous car. The gear shift is blazing fast, however a little delay when pulling the paddle. Also i feel that the last 3 gears are too long. I saw they have a edc with 7 gears in the new Espace. Would be better in the 200 t . ( i also whished i had a 7th in my 197)
I love my 200t but still miss my 197...

Loved my 197, but have to say im really enjoying the 200t.

Not missing manual to be honest, ive had the car only a week and a half ill admit, but theres not been a point where ive thought, i miss the manual box. Mainly been driving the car in auto mode, which is pleasant to use jut for going back and fourth to work, if you want to overtake so eone, just plant your foot, will drop you down a couple of gears and you can fly past anything really. When ive wanted to go for a blast, slotted it into manual and sports button on, and the car is great fun, the gears changes are very quick, quicker than i could change manually. Half the problems with these critics who slated the gearbox is they're used to driving £150000 ferraris with instant changes.

I have the standard chassis, which is a smoother ride, not as hard, which again, im not really missing the harshness of the 197. Its not quite as fast in the corners, doesnt feel you can throw it quite as much, but this is only a slight, and the way itmpulls out of a corner more than makes up for it.

Agree to an extent with you about the exterior, its not as striking, but still a great looking car and the 5 doors is actually handy and hardly noticeable, infact it actually has tricked a couple of family members. The interior is much improved, I have the leather seats in mine which are comfier than my 197 standard seats, also feel lower down and tucked in more with them.

Interesting debate but it's like comparing apple and pears. The only true indicator will be the test of time. I get the feeling this was a quick vote winner for Renault. I'm guessing those changing also reflect people's change of circumstance. It's also reflects the economic climate where Renault wanted something that was going to appeal to people beyond its RS following. I think these are good but not great cars. The 197/200 were great cars and best in their marque. The Fiesta ST has stolen that title and they have room for RS model.

I suspect Renault will have to return to its roots with the next generation RS in order to regain the crown.

Interesting debate but it's like comparing apple and pears. The only true indicator will be the test of time. I get the feeling this was a quick vote winner for Renault. I'm guessing those changing also reflect people's change of circumstance. It's also reflects the economic climate where Renault wanted something that was going to appeal to people beyond its RS following. I think these are good but not great cars. The 197/200 were great cars and best in their marque. The Fiesta ST has stolen that title and they have room for RS model.

I suspect Renault will have to return to its roots with the next generation RS in order to regain the crown.

I agree, in 15 or 20 years there will probably be more value in a good 197 or 200 than a good 200t. I think 197/200 have a better chance of becoming desirable again like the peugeot 205 gti.

The problem with 197/200 just too fragile [MENTION=1286]litchy[/MENTION] had both plus the running costs no my 200T is cheaper plus power below 5500rpm buddy

I wouldn't say fragile. These cars take some serious punishment if you want to give it.

Apart from the recaro bolster wear (I'm not getting any yet) I don't see how the 200 is 'fragile'. Mine has been spot on, only used tyres and fuel so far!

[MENTION=4906]Matt W[/MENTION] ok my 200 did 24k in 18 month's so 1 gear box 2nd one new steering rack new steering wheel new Recaro bolsters My meg 26k in 18 months just a lower ball joint

[MENTION=4906]Matt W[/MENTION] please tell me you've used at least one set of discs and pads? Lol

I wouldn't use the word fragile to describe them.

But they do have issues, ball joints, manifolds, gearboxs, recaro wear etc etc

But you're unlucky if you have all of them its probably safe to say lol.

2x Track days at Llandow and 3x 'Ring trips. Don't need to brake!

Think I drive very similar to you, very rarely do I touch the brakes on the road. I usually just use gearing to slow myself down. Suppose you can do it on a track too if you know what you're doing.