Noticed a crunch

Hi, I have just bought a 2007 197 F1 (6 days ago) with 43,000 miles. On the test drive it was spot on. But after driving it a little harder I have noticed it crunches when changing into 3rd at anything more than 5k revs, and occasionally into 4th.

what should I do? Is it likely to get much worse fast?

i see places in eBay sell gearboxes but is this risky incase they are no better?

thanks

Yea was private sale. And when warmed as its when driving hard. If the oil change doesn't work, what am I looking at spending to either repair or replace

Yea was private sale. And when warmed as its when driving hard. If the oil change doesn't work, what am I looking at spending to either repair or replace

Want my advice? Read on.

I've had my car since 12k miles. It's always crunched in 2nd and 3rd. I also replaced the gearbox oil with FUCHS Titan but no avail.

Best way around this is to be slower with the box. It seems to be fine when being hammered but not very good at low speeds, but that I mean it crunches at low revs, but goes in fine at high revs (maybe because I don't notice!).

Drive 1st, 3rd and 5th then 6th. Don't use 2nd or 4th anymore. The distance it takes to go from 1st to 3rd is enough to avoid it crunching. Otherwise, if your adamant on going in to 2nd, double clutch it. It's a pain at first, but you get used to it.

You can shift from 1st to 3rd at 2kRPM and it'll drop to 1.2kRPM. Providing you don't floor it or hit a hill, the car won't struggle and will pick up speed fine like this.

When beating the hell out of it, ram it in to every gear you want. It's going to pop one day, just make sure it goes after you've enjoyed yourself.

Want my advice? Read on.

I've had my car since 12k miles. It's always crunched in 2nd and 3rd. I also replaced the gearbox oil with FUCHS Titan but no avail.

Best way around this is to be slower with the box. It seems to be fine when being hammered but not very good at low speeds, but that I mean it crunches at low revs, but goes in fine at high revs (maybe because I don't notice!).

Drive 1st, 3rd and 5th then 6th. Don't use 2nd or 4th anymore. The distance it takes to go from 1st to 3rd is enough to avoid it crunching. Otherwise, if your adamant on going in to 2nd, double clutch it. It's a pain at first, but you get used to it.

You can shift from 1st to 3rd at 2kRPM and it'll drop to 1.2kRPM. Providing you don't floor it or hit a hill, the car won't struggle and will pick up speed fine like this.

When beating the hell out of it, ram it in to every gear you want. It's going to pop one day, just make sure it goes after you've enjoyed yourself.

Theres no point doing this and just turning a blind eye to the problem.... Not to mention by doing this you don't get to enjoy your car properly!

Like Paul said try changing the oil first and if that doesn't work then look at getting new synchros or possibly a new gearbox.

Last edited:
I would have said that's a fairly good reason they got rid of it! As said change the oil, doubt it will make a difference but I would do that first.
Prices to be fair I have never had to have any of mine fixed, although I almost bought one that had had a referb and he said it cost him £800, not sure if that's expensive or cheap
Another thing, if it was me I would fit an LSD while I was there 8)

Last edited:
As others have said, change the box oil and see how you get on from there. Can you adjust the linkages on these? If so do that at the same time.

If the problem persists it could be a clutch/box issue. I know my old Type R used to have issues going into gears at high revs sometimes when driving hard and it was the clutch being worn rather than the box itself causing the issue. After a clutch change it was spot on.

You'd have to ask yourself the question if it's worth fixing or putting up with for a while and selling on/part exchanging after a year or so. Would depend on how long you plan on keeping the car for.

Theres no point doing this and just turning a blind eye to the problem.... Not to mention by doing this you don't get to enjoy your car properly!

Like Paul said try changing the oil first and if that doesn't work then look at getting new synchros or possibly a new gearbox.

To be fair, there's no point in changing it until it's dead too, hence my last line.

Just use it until it blows up, follow my advice for regular use to prolong it's life. Hammer it as you usually do.

Oil may help a bit though, has infact solved some peoples problems before.

To be fair, there's no point in changing it until it's dead too, hence my last line.

Just use it until it blows up, follow my advice for regular use to prolong it's life. Hammer it as you usually do.

Oil may help a bit though, has infact solved some peoples problems before.

Well I'd rather change it before it was dead personally...... And having to drive the car like you said would mean not being able to use the car like it was supposed to be driven:mellow:

Well I'd rather change it before it was dead personally...... And having to drive the car like you said would mean not being able to use the car like it was supposed to be driven:mellow:

I think he meant drive the car however you want until the gearbox breaks completely. No point throwing a new box in while yours is still working fine. Obviously the crunch isn't desirable, but it's not really affecting anything and if you're planning to swap it anyway, just hammer it until it gives up.

Prolong it and hammer it. As I've said twice now. It's for your wallets benefit.

It'll only make it less fun to drive if you do in fact drive on the limiter all the time on the road, but I'd advise against that for other reasons. Just look after it when your just driving normally as I've said.

Use it until it gets to the point of near death then change it, no point in changing before. Throw a new clutch in there while your at it.

Last edited:
Prolong it and hammer it. As I've said twice now. It's for your wallets benefit.

It'll only make it less fun to drive if you do in fact drive on the limiter all the time on the road, but I'd advise against that for other reasons. Just look after it when your just driving normally as I've said.

Use it until it gets to the point of near death then change it, no point in changing before. Throw a new clutch in there while your at it.
Okay:lol:

I think officially its something like 2.1L, but I used x2 1L bottles and that filled it just about right (saved me buying an additional Litre that would 90% go to waste)