Netflix/Prime etc - What shows are you watching/Recommendations?

I've currently got prime (mainly for postage needs etc I buy a lot from Amazon).

I have thought about getting Netflix, now tv etc also. Anyone got any recommendations which to opt for?

I've just finished Bosch, put it off for quite a while because I wasn't sure what it would be like. I'd seen it advertised quite a while ago so thought I'd give it a go, think I finished it the first week I started it because it was that good!
Completely agree mate, think we started it on the weekend and we've nearly finished the second series. Compulsive viewing at its best!

Reactions: matt9566
I've currently got prime (mainly for postage needs etc I buy a lot from Amazon).

I have thought about getting Netflix, now tv etc also. Anyone got any recommendations which to opt for?
Prime is free for you as, like me, you have it for the postage. The shows are in effect just a bonus, hence I tend to forget about it. I watch Netflix mainly and generally prefer it but just give it a try for a month for free

Reactions: Chris
Just started watching Power, up to episode 4. Really enjoying it so far - intriguing story, decent acting, Lela Loren is amazing. Looking forward to what's going to happen next!

I can really recommend Netflix Chris. My option is £7.49 p/m, allows you to watch on two devices at the same time. Plenty of choice, a lot of tv boxsets to choose from. Movies tend to be older, but a good variety. I had Prime on a free trial, however I don't order enough for delivery to have made it worthwhile keeping alongside Netflix.

Hmm, I did have netflix a couple of years back, but the trouble being I do predominately watch films, where I know now tv is more catered to that.

Never heard of it, let me google.

edit:

ok so a very quick google, I'm a bit confused, but these pre loaded boxes do you mean? It said someone been arrested for using them.

not sure how it works Chris..never used this site..supposed to be safe though..Simon will be able to shed some light on this im sure..

Yeah the pre-loaded boxes. I'm not sure on the legality, they are widely available on amazon and ebay though. My understanding of it was because you're streaming the movies, rather than downloading them, it's technically legal. Not 100% on that though. I was tempted to get one, but happy enough with Netflix tbh.

I've got one from Amazon - it was sent from Amazon and not a company too, cost £35 I had to do a little bit of fiddling - few quick google searches and downloads to get it up to date. It's brilliant, every series, film etc.. I don't use it for cinema films as I have a Cineworld Unlimited Card but it's great for everything else and pays for itself after a few months not paying Netflix.
I've heard different things about its legality but wasn't it just the same when pirate dvd's came out ? And as far as I'm aware I've never come across anyone getting in trouble for a copied DVD, maybe the sellers did but never have I know it being an issue for anybody owning them - it came from Amazon too so what can anyone really do ?

Reactions: Jimmy
I've got one from Amazon - it was sent from Amazon and not a company too, cost £35 I had to do a little bit of fiddling - few quick google searches and downloads to get it up to date. It's brilliant, every series, film etc.. I don't use it for cinema films as I have a Cineworld Unlimited Card but it's great for everything else and pays for itself after a few months not paying Netflix.
I've heard different things about its legality but wasn't it just the same when pirate dvd's came out ? And as far as I'm aware I've never come across anyone getting in trouble for a copied DVD, maybe the sellers did but never have I know it being an issue for anybody owning them - it came from Amazon too so what can anyone really do ?

I'm assuming that it's not so much the device that would get you into trouble, it's the software you use on it?? I'm really not so clued up on it, however I think it's the same principle as with watching cinema movies on those websites (putlocker etc). It's classed as streaming rather than downloading. I may be wrong though.

I'm assuming that it's not so much the device that would get you into trouble, it's the software you use on it?? I'm really not so clued up on it, however I think it's the same principle as with watching cinema movies on those websites (putlocker etc). It's classed as streaming rather than downloading. I may be wrong though.

Yeah that's it Jimmy, it actually uses putlocker etc. The kodi that is the main programme is only advertised and meant to be used as like a media centre - like a smart tv and that's how they get around it being able to stay legal and on Play Store etc, but with it having a browser on it you can download, install programmes and run them on it.
The ones you install on the Kodi app are called 'builds' and each one has a different interface etc just like Netflix, Amazon etc. They aren't as fast and usable but they are really good - and keep getting better with each update.

To explain it in simple terms it's an app that uses the websites putlocker, exodus etc to stream the movies, tv shows etc on to your tv but somebody has designed an interface so you don't have to go in the browser and type the website URL. So you can basically click movies/tv shows etc, search for whatever you want to watch then it shows all available streams - Most in 1080p and 4K is slowly becoming available.

Plenty of videos on Youtube that will give you a better idea of what they're all about, I put off getting one for years and now i've got one I wish i'd got one a long time ago! - the only problem is i'm constantly glued to the tv.

Yeah that's it Jimmy, it actually uses putlocker etc. The kodi that is the main programme is only advertised and meant to be used as like a media centre - like a smart tv and that's how they get around it being able to stay legal and on Play Store etc, but with it having a browser on it you can download, install programmes and run them on it.
The ones you install on the Kodi app are called 'builds' and each one has a different interface etc just like Netflix, Amazon etc. They aren't as fast and usable but they are really good - and keep getting better with each update.

To explain it in simple terms it's an app that uses the websites putlocker, exodus etc to stream the movies, tv shows etc on to your tv but somebody has designed an interface so you don't have to go in the browser and type the website URL. So you can basically click movies/tv shows etc, search for whatever you want to watch then it shows all available streams - Most in 1080p and 4K is slowly becoming available.

Plenty of videos on Youtube that will give you a better idea of what they're all about, I put off getting one for years and now i've got one I wish i'd got one a long time ago! - the only problem is i'm constantly glued to the tv.

Brilliant info, thank you for that Matt. I wondered if it used streaming sites, and it obviously does. My brother has one and uses it a lot, even for football games etc from Sky Sports.

It's a bit bewildering when you look on ebay and there's hundreds of them to choose from!

I can throw my two cents in here as I have a good, ahem.. friend... that has tried all the above. He bought a Kodi box from Amazon, worked great for a couple of days, piece of pi55 to setup as everything preinstalled and was watching Jungle Book on the big screen with the kids within minutes. After a couple of days, nothing seemed to work any longer so it was all boxes up and returned to Amazon. Not all was down to the hardware but Virgin Media seemed to be blocking some streaming and playing pictures of pigeons instead of the film.

Ulozto.cz, as Pav mentioned, is great. It is free also although you can buy data to download multiple files at once and faster. It works great but some is dubbed in Czech or has Czech subtitles. This is great for my...friend... and his Czech wife but you could find it annoying if you do t like subtitles embedded in the picture.

He has also tried a virtual private network to download stuff from pirate bay etc. This was supposed to be safe but soon warning letters appeared asking the downloading to stop.

What works best for me, or rather my friend, is watching via Kodi on the PC. You already have the hardware so just need to download Kodi. Streams don't seem to get blocked like the android box and the PC can be connected to your tv.

As for legality I can't really comment as this is outside my legal area of expertise. I rightly or wrongly believe the issue is you making content available to others which file sharing does. Streaming does not have this issue but I struggle to see how it can be legal.

Narcos. Fantastic. Only two seasons, but well worth a watch, lot of subtitles, but not a single boring episode, based on a true story as well, can't praise this show enough

Breaking Bad (season 1) - Another one that has so much hype around it, however I was pretty underwhelmed with it to be honest. Good storyline and decent acting, but nothing that really grabbed me and made me feel compelled to watch season 2. 6/10

It does get better... in order to show how "off the rails" things get, it has to have something to contrast it; the first season basically just shows his life and it is pretty dull but it works really well as things get more and more chaotic.

I'd definitely recommend watching at least the second season, you won't regret it! :smiley:

Narcos. Fantastic. Only two seasons, but well worth a watch, lot of subtitles, but not a single boring episode, based on a true story as well, can't praise this show enough

I forgot about Narcos, I really enjoyed season 1. Compelling story and all the more so because of it being true. I like that it's told from two different perspectives. On with Power at the mo, but will go back to season 2 at some point.

It does get better... in order to show how "off the rails" things get, it has to have something to contrast it; the first season basically just shows his life and it is pretty dull but it works really well as things get more and more chaotic.

I'd definitely recommend watching at least the second season, you won't regret it! :smiley:

OK thanks, I will give it another go then! I figured that there would be something that made it such a popular one, it just wasn't there in season 1 :smiley:

I have amazon stick with Kodi on, only annoying thing when wanting to watch a movie is when it takes an hour to find one that will stream!

I've just bought a roku device thing off Amazon. Forgot my gf has a now tv subscription at hers already so will just plug her pass in. Then I've got Amazon video also.

Similar Thread Suggestions