Netflix/Prime etc - What shows are you watching/Recommendations?

Jimmy

Good cop
So what shows are you watching on TV at the moment?? Got a current show you can't stop binge-watching? What are your all time favourites and recommendations??

I'll kick things off:

Currently watching:

Netflix

The Wrong Mans - Good, well written comedy, with a plot that wouldn't be out of place in a Hollywood thriller. James Corden is a bit of an acquired taste these days, however I think he's at his best in TV shows like this (even though he basically plays Smithy clones in them all...). 7/10

Recently watched:

Stranger Things - Loads of hype about this and I absolutely loved it. Filmed in a retro 80s style, interesting plot and lots of Easter Eggs having a nod at classic horror/sci-fi/80s films - perfect for geeks. 9/10

Breaking Bad (season 1) - Another one that has so much hype around it, however I was pretty underwhelmed with it to be honest. Good storyline and decent acting, but nothing that really grabbed me and made me feel compelled to watch season 2. 6/10

American Horror Story (s1) - I love anything horror, so this fit the bill nicely. More ghost story than pure horror though. Good plot, however got a bit daft towards the end. Connie Britton is a proper MILF and the red haired young maid is worth watching it for too! 7/10

Sons of Anarchy - my all time favourite show. Loved this and binge watched the full thing. It has a bit of everything - action, humour, emotional scenes, violence, great soundtrack, brilliant acting... Must watch IMO. 10/10

What's next:

Power - read on here that it was good, so going to give that a go next!

Excellent idea for a thread as we watch loads of Netflix rather than terrestrial tv (and some Prime to a lesser extent). No spoilers included :smile: I will update this post as I go along as I will remember some other shows I'm sure. All Netflix unless otherwise stated.

Power (S1-3) - Really surprised this was as good as it was and pleased I decided to try it. Now hooked and awaiting the 4th season. Some real bad ass characters in the show, lots of back-stabbing and some of the best shagging scenes since True Blood. Lela Loren a complete (older) babe. 8.5/10

Better Call Saul (S1+2) - Breaking Bad was probably my favourite show of all time so had to watch this spin-off. Really enjoyed the first season but not a patch on the original Breaking Bad. Bib Odenkirk still a good laugh though. 6.5/10

Fear the Walking Dead (S1+2) (Prime) - Absolutely love The Walking Dead so had to watch this. First season had a slow build up but worth persevering as it gets better. Season 2 (not yet on Prime to my knowledge) notches the pace up another gear (although not to Walking Dead standards) although I'm only halfway through the second season. 7.5/10

Orange is the New Black (S1-4) - You might decide to give this a miss as its about a woman's prison and that just conjures up visions of dykes... hang on, that's why I watched it! Seriously though, this is great to watch with the wife and we both really enjoy it. Some great acting, the odd bit of lezzing off, action, violence, comedy, it has it all. A top series 9/10

Damages (S1-2) - Quite liked this at first but I haven't finished it off which means it hasn't hooked me. A legal drama, some top actors in it (Glenn Close, Rose Byrne, Ted Danson), good story line in first season but I got into power and dropped it for now... 6/10

TBC as typing on my phone is sh1te

Last edited:
Continued from last post...

Prison Break (S1-4) - Really liked this prison drama. Some good acting, some bad, but great characters and what starts as a good storyline (before being rehashed over several seasons). Overall an enjoyable series if you ignore the odd silly thing in the storyline 7/10

The Killing (S1-4) - Absolutely cracking detective drama. Great storylines throughout, top acting, best series for a long time, gutted when it finished :worried: 9/10

The Returned (S1) - Enjoyable supernatural drama. Really got into this but only 1 season old and waiting for another season... 7/10

Last edited:
Sorry last one for now I promise :wink:

Spotless (S1) - Last but definitely not least, a great crime drama. Apparently a French production but much better made than our cars. Unknown actors (to me) but then they are French/Canadian and very good. Forensic cleaning guy ends up working for a crime boss to help cover up his crimes. Add into his estranged brother and some decent shagging and you can't beat this 9/10

I watched Prison Break on DVD when it first came out - absolutely loved that too! I got properly hooked on it, the cliff-hangers at the end of the episodes were fantastic! I thought the ending was excellent, although the extra story they tagged on (went back and filled in some gaps....) was unnecessary and made me wish I hadn't watched it.

The Returned sounds like something that was on Universal channel a while back - Resurrection. That was great, although I suspect it got canned, as I've seen noting more about it...

ETA Thanks for the recommendations @Gordini - it's good to hear from someone who's actually watched them, rather than relying on the star rating on NF. Looking forward to watching the ones with the g̶r̶e̶a̶t̶ ̶s̶h̶a̶g̶g̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶c̶e̶n̶e̶s̶ great storylines :wink:

Reactions: Gordini
dont have Netflix but the Suits series looks promising..the walking dead should be up and running soon too..

Not on netflix but on normal TV

I watched the first episode of Westworld: At first i was a bit like what the hell is going on, by the end of the first episode i got the jist of what the series is going to be about so am deffo going to watch next weeks. Brief outline of what its about - Westworld isn't your typical amusement park. Intended for rich vacationers, the futuristic park -- which is looked after by robotic "hosts" -- allows its visitors to live out their fantasies through artificial consciousness (copied from google)

Currently Watching

Power
- Current Season - Started to watch it on the off chance when someone on Facebook said how good it was and I decided to give it a go. Gritty crime drama with lots of twists, turns and violence, 50 Cent stars in it and is the executive producer too - He's plays a surprisingly good part. As @Gordini mentioned there's some great sex scenes and Lela Loren is an absolute babe. 8/10

Suits - Season 4 -
One of the best things I've watched in a long time, it has a really good story line and all of the characters play really good individual parts. Just give it a go, I'm sure you'll love it! (p.s Meghan Markle one of the main characters is wonderful - She does it for me anyway) 9/10

Criminal Minds - Season 10 -
General crime drama that I watch to pass some time on a evening, gets quite repetitive after a while but there is some really good episodes and it's worth a watch if you fancy passing an hour. 7.5/10

American Office - Just started it again - The best series ever, Steve Carell is absolutely brilliant. I would say it is an acquired humour but episodes are only around 25 minutes long so give it a go and see if you like it. 9.5/10

Recently Watched

Justified -
Detective style drama, slightly wild west style but based in current (ish) times in a Kentucky town. Really enjoyed watching this, plenty of ups and downs, violence, action. An all round real good watch. 9/10

Sons of Anarchy -
Finally finished this after a lot of stopping and starting, probably took me over a year from start to finish. It wasn't the fact that it wasn't good, it's just I go through phases where I watch loads then don't have the tv on for a few weeks and it kind of took a back foot. Strangely enough it took me a season before I realised that the main character (Charlie Hunnam) is the bald guy from 'Green Street' not that many of you might know the film but it's a completely different role for him and I think he played the part really well. Plenty of Harley Davidson's and cars too so that's always good! Give it a go. 8/10

Fargo - 2014 -
Just watch it. Brilliant. Really short though so don't go 'binge watching' as it ends fairly quick.

What's Next

Game of Thrones - So much hype and I've not even watched the full first episode, will start it one day!

Disclaimer

I am absolutely useless at anything like this so probably just ignore me haha, in all honesty have a look at some of the stuff I've put and read the general 'blurb' on Wikipedia and get a better understanding of what they are instead of my rambling. There is so much good stuff out there these days there isn't many bad tv series, just give them a go even if it's something you usually wouldn't go for.

Thanks, Matt.

Reactions: Jimmy and Gordini
Power (Netflix) - Really enjoyed this show, originally attracted to it because of 50 cents involvement, however its much bigger than that, brilliant, waiting on season 4 now.

Mr Robot (Prime) - If your a techie then you will love this, Season 1 was the clincher for me, Season 2 i found hard to follow. Well worth a watch though.

Ballers (Sky) - Features the Rock, so i was interested, i know nothing about american football however very easy to watch, funny scenes, grown to like the (?wooden) acting that the Rock brings to the show.

What's Next

Game of Thrones - So much hype and I've not even watched the full first episode, will start it one day!

Thanks, Matt.

Watch it, once you start you wont be able to stop. By far best series ive ever watched!!!

Watch it, once you start you wont be able to stop. By far best series ive ever watched!!!
I'm definitely going to give it a try some time soon, it looks great and nothing has ever put me off it (apart from seeing a few spoilers on social media) I've just never got round to it. It's at the top of my list

I'm definitely going to give it a try some time soon, it looks great and nothing has ever put me off it (apart from seeing a few spoilers on social media) I've just never got round to it. It's at the top of my list

I've only ever seen Game of Thrones when my sister has had it on in the background... nothing beats the akwardness of a sexual scene in the presence of family during a rainy Sunday afternoon!

Heard great things but I haven't committed my time to any TV series since Breaking Bad!

Oh yeah @jimmyd81 I've watched 'The wrong mans' too and really enjoyed it.

Just started on season 2 (only 4 episodes), and it was a good first ep! Very funny at times (if you can put up with Corden's schtick)!

Did you watch the British (original) Office Matt? That is a big favourite of mine, but the US version doesn't appeal to me at all - I've never properly given it a go, so I might be missing out..! But I just think I'd see it as a poor imitation.

I could never get into GOT - I watched S1 and liked it, but with season 2 I got totally lost with all the characters and I haven't gone back since...

Just started on season 2 (only 4 episodes), and it was a good first ep! Very funny at times (if you can put up with Corden's schtick)!

Did you watch the British (original) Office Matt? That is a big favourite of mine, but the US version doesn't appeal to me at all - I've never properly given it a go, so I might be missing out..! But I just think I'd see it as a poor imitation.

I could never get into GOT - I watched S1 and liked it, but with season 2 I got totally lost with all the characters and I haven't gone back since...

Yeah it's a great little series, the BBC do some really good ones.

I've never really watched the original office, my cousin recommended the US one so that's where I started. I will look at the original one day and see if I like it, I like Ricky Gervais so I can't see why I wouldn't like it.. but as you said, because i've seen the US first the original one might seem a 'not as good' imitation.

Has anyone ever watched Luther ? just reminded myself about it when I mentioned the BBC to Jimmy. It's a proper good watch and Idris Elba is a complete boss in it - as always.

Watching Prime at the moment for a change and really enjoying Bosch. Assumed it was about a bloke who fixed washing machines or a poor builder who couldn't afford Makita stuff, but it's actually about a detective in Los Angeles who tracks down serial killers etc. A gripping series, great storyline, good acting, hooked. 8.5/10

Watching Prime at the moment for a change and really enjoying Bosch. Assumed it was about a bloke who fixed washing machines or a poor builder who couldn't afford Makita stuff, but it's actually about a detective in Los Angeles who tracks down serial killers etc. A gripping series, great storyline, good acting, hooked. 8.5/10

I've just finished Bosch, put it off for quite a while because I wasn't sure what it would be like. I'd seen it advertised quite a while ago so thought I'd give it a go, think I finished it the first week I started it because it was that good!

Similar Thread Suggestions