My Ultra Red 197 - Update - Trackday Photos

Thought it was about time I made one of these project threads, I've had the 197 for just over a year now and done a few bits on it.

I picked her up on 20th March 2010, about 2 weeks after my 21st Birthday. It was a long long week between putting the deposit down and picking her up.

The spec was as follows:
2007 Reg, 23k miles
Full Fat model
Recaros
Panoramic Sunroof
Folding mirrors
Full Renault service history

Before picking her up I had a few bits done under warranty, replacement recaro base and replacement glovebox lid.

This photo is a few days after picking her up, still completely standard:
_MG_0295-1.jpg

The first mods were silvatec indicator bulbs and the renaultsport steering wheel insert.

An ITG panel filter soon followed.

The miles racked up quickly, doing a couple of big trips including a trip down to devon for some camping. Really poor photo from the campsite:
35158_10150202607955372_508690371_13542113_1877353_n.jpg

She stayed standard for a few months and then I bought a few bits from Mark who used to be on here:
Pair of projector lights
Metal footrest
Sunglasses holder

I also bought a 50W HID kit to put in the projectors.

IMG_0137-1.jpg

I put in my Pioneer P88RS II headunit and got some renaultsport mats
IMG_0142.jpg

I got some 3M Carbon Vinyl to put on the front badge to see if I liked the look, with plans to get some streamline badges in the future if I liked it.

Next mod was the TDF Remap, I was fed up with the kangarooing and a remap was meant to help, obviously the increased power was nice too. Matt did a great job and the clio now had a much smoother power delivery, more power, more torque and best of all hardly kangaroos anymore.

Before and after:
beforeafter.jpg

I got some brand new carbon lorraine RC5 pads from SteBurns as he was selling his clio and hadn't put them on yet, these were a massive improvement on standard. I had problems with them on the standard discs though and thought they were warped so I bought some 2-piece grooved discs from chappo.

This is the only photo I have showing the grooves:
photo-2.jpg

I also painted the calipers red at the same time, using VHT filler primer, VHT red paint and VHT lacquer. I used black Brembo stickers too.

Next up I bought some eibach 16mm spacers, longer wheel bolts and longer mcgard locking bolts.
Before:
photo-1.jpg
After:
photo1.jpg

And an overall shot:
IMG_0134.jpg

Last edited:
Next came the streamline carbon front and rear diamonds:
photo1-2.jpg

Wrapped diamond against streamline diamond:
photo4-1.jpg

A view of the rear of the bumper for those who are mad enough to try and remove the badge with the bumper on the car, the two torx screws are in those 2 small holes near the centre of the bumper, in the T shaped bit of plastic:
photo5-1.jpg

Rear diamond on:
photo11.jpg

Front diamond on:
photo7.jpg

And today I've tackled the faded front grilles. Give them a tug from the bottom outside corner (Near the headlight) and they come out, spray and brush with all purpose cleaner (APC) and thoroughly dry.

I painted them with Halfords bumper paint, black

This is the result:
photo8.jpg

Close up of the finish, looks completely factory and doesn't look painted:
photo9.jpg

They had 3 light coats including one from the back to get in all the tight corners, I dried the paint between coats with a hot air gun making sure the plastic didn't get too hot.

She had a proper clean up yesterday, took me about 5 hours. I put some werkstat acrylic on, here are the results:
photo12-1.jpg
photo10.jpg

I've got some new number plates on the way as the front one is damaged along the top edge, got them from no1showplates and they're completely plain and road legal, should have some photos tomorrow

Also had a full service last week at Mark Fish Motorsport, had the following work done:

Full oil change with Motul 300V
New oil filter
Brakes fully bled and replaced with pagid fluid
Tyres re-balanced
New pollen filter
Fluids top up
photo2-1.jpg

Looking great Ben :smile:

I think the wheels would look really nice a darker colour, I always prefere anthra/black on red, it would suit your badges too. That's a good write up, I think im gonna do a few more bits on mine before I post my project. It hardly seems worth it with the little bits i've done lol.

Cheers guys, anthracite alloys are probably next on the list. I start work in gillingham, Kent in a couple of months which is where Lepsons in based so I'll book in with them when I move down there.

Roy, aerial is on it's way to you :smile:

Lovely car!

I especially like the Panoramic Sunroof, I used to drive a Modus with one fitted. They're brilliant in the summer and allow so much more light in to the cabin...

Red Calipers suit Ultra Red very well.

Tim

looking good mate!
Antharcite wheels would look better than black imo, coilover kit at any point? would look awesome if it was bit lower :tongue_smilie:

Cheers :thumbup:

I'd love to lower it a bit, would look a lot better but the ride is perfect at the moment. I think pretty much all coilovers/springs will make the ride harsher and I won't enjoy driving it as much. I'd love to try some KW V3 as I could adjust the damping to suit but they're £££££!

I had no idea you had done so much to it! Good job you started a thread! Lol! I agree about the sunroof, looks great that. Wish mine had it. And yes, anthrecite wheels look amaing on UR, I love mine! So was your car only making 150 bhp prior to the remap? That's bad if it was! Makes me think I should take mine to see if it needs to get sorted out!

Oh right! Lol! I was very worried then! Ha ha! Stupid me, that's a big loss from standard!

looking great Ben,

good to see the fronts disks are doing well,

might need your help soon when my carbon bullets and diamonds turn up, lol

No problem craig, front diamond is a bit of a bitch to get off but rear one is easy

You'll need something to bond them on with, I used no more nails but it took ages to set so had to leave the bumper off the car whilst it dried or the badge would start sliding down lol

No problem craig, front diamond is a bit of a bitch to get off but rear one is easy

You'll need something to bond them on with, I used no more nails but it took ages to set so had to leave the bumper off the car whilst it dried or the badge would start sliding down lol

yes i will get something to bond them on with and some low adheisive masking tape to keep them in place,

not looking forward to the front one tbh Ben,

any ideas on the side bullets, i have tried to remove them but no joy as of yet, ?