My ly f1 progress

Seriously? I'm very interested in this as I have exactly the same problem. Did you do anything differently when putting everything back together? I'm dropping mine next week to have some work done, do I have to look at something in particular?

Manifold looks great. Top job there:wink:

I fitted loosely then pry'd the subframe fully forward so it was sat even on both sides and tightened.

I fitted loosely then pry'd the subframe fully forward so it was sat even on both sides and tightened.

I thought it was only one way for the subframe to be fitted, that it slots into place, am I wrong? What do you mean when you say ''pry'd'' cooper?

Last edited:
Subframe only fits one way but the bolt holes are a lot larger than the bolts so it leaves a lot of room for error when fitting. Pry'd means use a pry bar to push the subframe so it bolts up flush to one side of the bolt thus making it square with the chassis

Roughly how long did it take you to fit, might be nice for members planning on paying a garage to do the work how long they should expecting to pay for.

Great write up by the way :thumbsup:

It took 2-3 hours but I'd expect a garage to try for 4-6 hours I'd say 6 hours on the floor doing it yourself at a minimum.

Thanks for the input mate. This is really helpful.

So would I be right to think that this is something that can be done without dropping the subrame but by only loosen the subframe bolts a bit, fiddle the subframe and eventually re-tighten it or am I talking nonsense here?

You could loosen the bolts and reposition yes thing is It may throw your tracking slightly out due to it being set when the subframe was mis aligned

Thanks for the input mate. This is really helpful.

So would I be right to think that this is something that can be done without dropping the subrame but by only loosen the subframe bolts a bit, fiddle the subframe and eventually re-tighten it or am I talking nonsense here?

sort of spot on there :foxspeed:

Thought id post some pictures of how small the ports are on the original manifold
8602829707_e7ca483fa2_b.jpg
IMG_0221 by cooperr27, on Flickr
You can see how much larger they could be by the carbon on the surrounding metal i haven't got a picture to compare of the toyosport's but there the full size of the gasket port's.

And i can't believe the bottle neck they put in the standard manifold [sorry for the crap pic]
8602829493_b8d3f4b224_b.jpg
IMG_0224 by cooperr27, on Flickr

Today i changed the old rbf660 brake fluid for ate superblue its great for doing a full change as you know when all the old fluid is out.
8602865823_9313f7d17a_b.jpg
IMG_0225 by cooperr27, on Flickr

Im also waiting on a price for a ttv flywheel through a friend

Today i changed the old rbf660 brake fluid for ate superblue its great for doing a full change as you know when all the old fluid is out.
8602865823_9313f7d17a_b.jpg
IMG_0225 by cooperr27, on Flickr

Im also waiting on a price for a ttv flywheel through a friend

Just put some of that in myself, not quite as good as rbf600 in terms of technical specs but pretty close and cheaper anyway. Much better being able to see it's coming through properly as well.

That old manifold looks horrid too :x

I had rbf660 in before I didn't think it was worth the money tbh ,but bleeding is great with superblue.
I can't believe the state of the manifold after 35 thousand miles either pal

Last edited:
Just a quick update I've fitted the a vibratechnics lower engine mount and it's cured my manifold knocking on subframe problem. Just one small problem I've got since fitting the new manifold is the clutch pedal vibrating slightly nothing else just the clutch pedal and I can't find the reason why it's so annoying.