My ly f1 progress

Found this upon inspection the other night :angry:
8565719622_6d39c774fd_b.jpg
photo 1 by cooperr27, on Flickr
8564620491_dc8038a66d_b.jpg
photo 2 by cooperr27, on Flickr

The girlfriend must have drove through some gloss paint some time last week wasn't pleased to say the least after cleaning all the arches 2 weeks ago. tried to remove but its not 100% set so it spreads so i will wait until it set's and hopefully just pick off.

Just think on the bright side buddy, it's ended up in fairly inconspicuous area. Lucky it didn't spray it up the sides of the car.

Well it now needs a manifold as its let go almost instantly got one on order from toyosport should fit it this week hopefully.Also going to fit a 182 stat as it won't go above first line on temperature gauge. Hopefully wont run to lean till I get it for a remap since its already had one to iron out the flat spot and kangerooing on a standard engine.

Is that the manifold Fernadez brought but didn't get to fit it? If it is I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of it, looks like a good bit of kit.

A picture of the new toyosport manifold seems to be good quality as it weigh's the same as the original even without the cat.
8598486964_088793feb6_b.jpg
photo 2 by cooperr27, on Flickr
I borrowed a mates ramp to do the fitting, it's quite easy if you can get the car min 2ft in the air.Remove pinch bolt under steering wheel,disconnect battery as the starter is under manifold and is easy to catch. Then remove the wheels, undo the trackrod ends,undo the two abs sensor clamps on the track rods and undo the top nuts on the drop links. Remove undertray, support the subframe and undue the 6 subframe bolts raising the car or lowering the support leaves you with this.
8597383967_e4c96fe005_b.jpg
photo 3 by cooperr27, on Flickr
Undo the the 9 10mm manifold nut's under the bonnet and the exhaust clamp to the main cat also don't forget to disconnect the lamba sensor multi plug and wiggle the manifold out.
8598486548_91b90a4829_b.jpg
photo 4 by cooperr27, on Flickr
Refit in reverse order swapping the lamba sensor over:thumbup: job done [if you notice the mating plate on the new manifold is twice as thick as the original and the new gasket was 5mm instead of 1mm,so i reused the old gasket so the manifold nuts were far enough down the threads]

I then put the car on a mot gas analyser and it failed quite badly:thumbdown: then i realised the cars not warming up correctly. Because i haven't fitted my new thermostat ,literally wont go up to second mark so after a lot of thrashing got temp to half way and
8597383673_e7fde493e0_b.jpg
photo 5 by cooperr27, on Flickr
Passed on idle and fast idle:cloud9: best get that new thermostat fitted. Car runs brilliantly no flat spot as others have noticed with a y pipe and feels like quite a bit more top end aswell as a better exhaust tone and some small pops and bangs:001_tt1: .Cant say others wont get a flat spot as i have fastchips 98 ron map also can't say if mine is over or under fuelling or just right until i get mine on the rollers on a afr gauge. Might see if i can get on the replanned rs tuning rolling road day if any one can't make the new date.

On the test drive revealed a slight knock under harsh 1st gear acceleration traced it to manifold touching subframe due to mounts being weak. Going to order some more just not sure do i go for the full rattle your teeth out jobbie's or more genuine renault that only last 35 thousand miles and knacker your manifold. I do think if your mount's are in good fettle the toyosport manifold will fit perfectly.

Im still going to get the old manifold repaired and keep it as a spare as i think there isn't enough flex in the exhaust system. Hopefully where the flexi is on the toyosport manifold being horizontal and not at a 45 degree angle. It will let it compress in a more natural and even manor rather than opening up one side of the flexi more than the other.

Last edited:
Looks great mate good write up! What cat back system do you have and I'm guessing you've got the main cat removed?

Oh yeah I see now, I've got a decatted ktec and I'm pretty interested in this. Just have to get it booked in for a map not long after fitting it

As a bonus removing and refitting the subframe has cured my pulling to the left problem

Seriously? I'm very interested in this as I have exactly the same problem. Did you do anything differently when putting everything back together? I'm dropping mine next week to have some work done, do I have to look at something in particular?

Manifold looks great. Top job there:wink: