MOT Failure, something to watch out for!!

stuey

Gold Member
Hi chaps, my 2009 Clio 200 Cup had its third MOT yesterday. I was expecting no issues, and was surprised and annoyed to hear that it had failed. The issue was that both steering rack gaitors which cover the ends of the rack and the steering arms had become detached from the rack end! They basically slide over the end of the rack and are held on with what looks like a metal reinforced nylon tie wrap. On being told this and having a chance to have a look, it seems ridiculous that a 5 year old car with 10'000 miles on the clock could have this happen. I was given some spiel about a rock hitting it etc, which is rubbish. The fact that both had done the same was highly unlikely to be a coincidence and must be a component failure.

Resigned to having to have it fixed (not exactly a hard job) I rang RUK from the dealers reception and explained what had happened. After them liasing with the dealer service dept they agreed to pay the £50 odd quid to fix it. It looks like they have used a metal strap now, but not had a good look yet.
I did mention that I had never heard of this before and I go on a few RS forums, and they said it was new to them too. They did deal with it well to be fair, so hopefully its all sorted now.

Has anyone else heard of this before? Worth checking your car, you can see it you put it on full lock with a torch.

Take a few pics and post them so people know what too look for please.

Taken a bit of time to get round to a photo! Anyway, the gaiter can be seen in the pic, and the end in the middle of the pic is what had popped off the rack both sides. Goodness knows how it happened???

gaiter.jpg

Taken a bit of time to get round to a photo! Anyway, the gaiter can be seen in the pic, and the end in the middle of the pic is what had popped off the rack both sides. Goodness knows how it happened???

View attachment 10336

Hi mate unless someone has tampered with the gaitor thete is no possible way I could see this coming loose or detached!! Rock hitting it (not a chance)!!! If both sides are off its possible that in the history of the vehicle that someone (mechanic) has been checking for a leak internally in the rack and put it on with a tie strap (plastic) wich has snapped ?