Manifold cracked!

Just had my manifold replaced under warrantee as it was cracked at the weld on cylinder one. However... When I picked the car up they had "forgotten" to tighten up the punch bolts for the steering rack AND my tracking us out. I'm a little p*ssed about that part of it as I asked them to check if there was any excess play in the engine mounts which may have cause it to crack and they said no. Now I'm doubting them after the poo job they did.

Does that cause it to crack !? I'm unsure and don't want to have to replace it again as it could cost £1200 Renault said! Any ideas / opinions?

Hmmmm, bit of a tough one buddy. Yes, it could crack again...unsure on what the exact cause it. Maybe you could polybush the upper mount to have less movement to stop the flexi etc breaking on the manifold in future

Last edited:
I've had mine replaced with a Toyosports one. The bush in my upper torque link was falling apart, and the lower stabliser was, well, not stabilising at all. I ordered new ones from Renault Wolverhampton, came in at just under £100. The upper torque link takes about five minutes to replace, the lower stabiliser needs the car in the air but it's not hard.

I wouldn't expect your mounts to be anywhere near as bad as mine, but as an insurance policy it would be worth looking at doing it. I put a Powerflex insert in my new lower stabiliser to reduce movement even more (the Toyosport manifold can knock against the subframe - you won't have this issue) and there's a noticeable increase in vibration. So it depends whether you want to put up with more vibration for peace of mind.

Joe

I've had mine replaced with a Toyosports one. The bush in my upper torque link was falling apart, and the lower stabliser was, well, not stabilising at all. I ordered new ones from Renault Wolverhampton, came in at just under £100. The upper torque link takes about five minutes to replace, the lower stabiliser needs the car in the air but it's not hard.

I wouldn't expect your mounts to be anywhere near as bad as mine, but as an insurance policy it would be worth looking at doing it. I put a Powerflex insert in my new lower stabiliser to reduce movement even more (the Toyosport manifold can knock against the subframe - you won't have this issue) and there's a noticeable increase in vibration. So it depends whether you want to put up with more vibration for peace of mind.

Joe

What were the symptoms of the lower stabliser bar being knackered? I've had the top stabliser bar (think its also torque bar replaced) but i'm getting a knocking/creaking/grumble noise over bumps at the moment

What were the symptoms of the lower stabliser bar being knackered? I've had the top stabliser bar (think its also torque bar replaced) but i'm getting a knocking/creaking/grumble noise over bumps at the moment

I honestly can't say what the specific symptoms of the lower stabiliser being worn are - they both were shot and I had both replaced at the same time. All I can say is it certainly felt like there was a knocking over bumps coming from just the driver's side front of the car, and the engine moving under full bore gear changes - especially third to fourth. When it was in the garage though the anti-rotation link on the driver's side was loose so I don't know how much that had to do with the knocking noise.

Depending on how old your car is though (a 197, so at least 5 years old now?) I'd probably just spend the £54 and think of it as an insurance policy.

Joe