Another cracked manifold. Powerflex bush now fitted

I had the dreaded tappet/blowing noise, couldn't really tell with the power and seemed to be running ok. The only thing I noticed was the mpg had dropped slightly. Looked at the manifold with a mirror and torch to see soot around pipe 4.

Quoted £1300-1400 at Renault.

Decided to do the work myself, cost £30 for the welding and £6 odd + vat for a new gasket from Renault. It had cracked on the weld around piston 4.

Once that was done I looked at trying to prevent it from happening again.

So I decided to have the center silencer removed, as whilst I was doing the work I noticed that the next support along on the exhaust from the manifold is after the silencer. So the weight of the silencer, cat and pre cat is held on by the manifold. I was reluctant at doing this as I wanted to keep the car standard but the noise after is to good.

Then I decided to fit the uprated lower stabilising engine mount from ktec. This was to prevent excessive movement of the engine which could possibly crack the manifold again. Once fitted the difference is night and day, definitely recommend, the engine now feels attached to the car. Vibration has slighty increased but I feel it adds to the driving experience.

Last edited:
I will be fitting a new powerflex bush to the upper engine torque mount from ktec also.

the manifold needs some sort of support/brace to help take the load - it would have been on my list of things to do if I had kept the 197

Quick update on the uprated lower stabilising mount.

Its a "must buy". The front end feels tighter, the gear change feels smoother and the start up is something else. It feels like your starting up a v12.

I must admit though the first time I started it after fitting, was a bit of a shock I thought I might have to go back to oem. It's settled in now though and feels much better.

Ive got the upper torque mount powerflex bush on order from ktec.

I don't know how people go on with the full uprated engine mount kit, you would probably need a gum shield whilst driving.

Quick update on the uprated lower stabilising mount.

Its a "must buy". The front end feels tighter, the gear change feels smoother and the start up is something else. It feels like your starting up a v12.

I must admit though the first time I started it after fitting, was a bit of a shock I thought I might have to go back to oem. It's settled in now though and feels much better.

Ive got the upper torque mount powerflex bush on order from ktec.

I don't know how people go on with the full uprated engine mount kit, you would probably need a gum shield whilst driving.

Have you got a link for the stabilising mount?

Powerflex bush now fitted.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

No movement by hand now in the upper torque mount. I just need to clean the engine bay now.

You will definitely notice a difference in the engine noise, more so in second gear when accelerating, it's like a tappet noise. Get a mirror and a torch or a camera to get a look at the manifold. If there is a crack you should see a white outline around the crack and then beyond that you will see soot.

Another way to check is when the engine is cold run your hand around the manifold but have a look at your hand after each tube of the manifold, if there is a crack your hand will be covered in soot.

Im not not sure how to upload a video. Sorry