LY200 - too loud or blow up again, taking bets!

Trouble with efi is they are a long way, and I'm going to be transporting the car to avoid any chances. Rays got a solid rep and knows the SC kit. He's only about 45mins away and I think from now on it's paramount to use local companies. Means I can leave it with him a few days and he can nail the cold start etc.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Trouble with efi is they are a long way, and I'm going to be transporting the car to avoid any chances. Rays got a solid rep and knows the SC kit. He's only about 45mins away and I think from now on it's paramount to use local companies. Means I can leave it with him a few days and he can nail the cold start etc.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Sound logic....^^^^^

will be a major share holder in renault after all that spend!

Yes and most of it now needs to be sold! I've got so much surplus stuff it's crazy right now! But I had today a conversation with Ashford Motorsport, simply put I'm staggered by the knowledge and just hugely impressed by everything I heard. So it very much looks like I'm doing an Ashford Motorsport spec forged engine build, ah ffs this car! :biggrin: Yep, more forged pistons but I've got some plans for this thing now! But for the first time in ages I'm invigorated again, and whilst I have to keep at least a nod to keeping costs under control (so I won't be running their cams and ITB's from day one), it's fair to say this new motor will have some poke, but crucially later on serious scope for more! :001_tt1:

haha this is awesome. It all comes down to whether you can find the right person for the job. And it seems you found him:smile:

Isn't that the guy who's got an f4r running crazy NA power on a dyno on youtube?

haha this is awesome. It all comes down to whether you can find the right person for the job. And it seems you found him:smile:

Isn't that the guy who's got an f4r running crazy NA power on a dyno on youtube?

Yes same place. I'm just nailing down a defined plan and scope etc. It won't be the same level as the 280bhp build, but will be largely based on the 250-260bhp race builds. The bottom end be close to the 250-260bhp race spec (just using my Arrow rods which they agreed were excellent), and the main difference is I'm just going to use a milder spec port on the head, more in line with 240bhp.
I'm retaining the 403 cams and VVT to keep initial costs reasonable, but having enough head flow (almost) and piston clearance to suit the race cams, then means there's a lot to be had later. ~250 would be nuts esp with my gearing!

Also the plan will be to once assembled have it taken to another company who have a lot of SC ECU experience, they will map my actual ECU on a Dyno Cell and break the engine in properly. All sounds very promising but just sorting the details as I can't afford to make this an open cheque book kind of exercise!!

But it was certainly interesting to chat to him that the standard heads are flow limited on the exhaust side, they choke as they don't flow enough. So roughly speaking a genuine 220bhp is the most it'll do with out being fettled. Now I've never seen more than 215bhp on my engine, and Proil with his 405 cammed engine on ITB's, that only made 224bhp too (stock head) - and the power graph of his was dead flat right from 7000-7700. I suspected the exhaust manifold was the issue for his but I reckon now head work is the key for these engines if you even consider going more than 402's and a manifold anyway. So will be interesting to see what it makes with my cams on a standard inlet, I think the top end should wake up nicely from the headwork, so 220bhp would be the sort of I figure I really hope for - but I've been here before :lol:

Also turns out my forged pistons were less than ideal (PEC ****e as usual tbh), the original design of this piston crown and valve rebate is for the mk2, however PEC seem to use the same even on the mk3 engine. I've been sent an image of some mk3 pistons (I presume the ones I'll go for) and they are much more like the works spec R3 Maxi stuff. So note to all, avoid PEC (and the PEC rods were always known to be ****e hence I plumped for Arrows first time). These new pistons will have the correct squish area, more valve clearance for even +1mm valves (not that I will run big valves as need an 84mm bore and race port head to warrant it!).

Fingers crossed no crazy final prices for a built lump, after all I have 95% of the rebuild items bought and the major money is in the head and pistons. But I can't see an 83mm bore and assembly costs being too high, otherwise I'll take the components only and have it built with Paul. Fingers crossed no more crap happens like the crank is worn or something!

Last edited:
^^^Credit where its due. Your persistent and committed to the cause. I do love anyone who has a passion for something and goes at it full-bore. Ie: YOU !

Good luck and following.

Too right! I'm excited about the car again. Did some quick last night photoshopping and I think I nailed it! Graphics all in matt black, plus I would do the blade in matt black too. I've got the red Trophy squares on the doors and red RS badge on the rear, so I'd re-apply the red lip I have to the blade after being done matt. I may shop that later, but I'm pretty sold on this one, it looks better than the one with white bits I did a couple of pages back.

scheme-v3-b.jpg

Million times better. Other image was s*** IMO.

lol! I'm a sucker for door spots though, still remember seeing an original Elise Sport 190 on the roads when they were new!!!

All of these designs need the car to be decked anyway, otherwise it's look silly. So unfortunately not something to be done in the very near future at least.

Your choice in vehicles is very distinguished, that is one of the best 200's I have seen, make it happen [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bravo Rich, your posts great as usual.

Very interesting what you say about the exhuast side of the head. Was it done like that you reckon for emissions and euro 5 purposes? If that's the case there are definitely some gains to be had there. I just find it really surprising that these cars have been around for 10 years now but noone has gone that route yet? The only person I know who did a head work is Ben with his 197 cup?

Really interested to see the progress of this mate! All sound super quality:smile:

Yeah it probably was emissions related, bloody hippy's!
Ben made about 230bhp didn't he, some debate on what cams he had, originally it was thought 403's (which is in part why I went for them), but I think he later confirmed he had 2 steps above the normal - which is 404's :\ Certainly Nick Jones race car that TDF did had 404's and again I read they were the 'sister' engines in TDF's development. Nick went on to get longer ITB's and an R3 manifold and make about 240bhp iirc.

Either way I don't think there's enough cam in the 403 to reach 230bhp, perhaps on a good set of ITB's you may get close? But I'm just not sure on these cams anymore! A chap I speak to over on cs.net has built an R3 Maxi engine and had some basic porting done to the head, nailed 230bhp on the nose - however that thing idles at about 1500rpm I think he said! In fact Simo made about 230bhp on Maxi cams and headwork, he said his idle at 1400rpm - So clearly to hit a genuine 230bhp you need a lot more cam than a 403. Mine idled (past tense lol) at factory levels without a hint of overlap, always saddened me that did :lol:

I don't think you'd get too many gains doing headwork on a 402 equipped car, little bits of improvement but I don't think you would be taking the choke out the engine so to speak. But there's only way to find out mate :wink:
I think/hope will see a bit of gain on my cams, but really it's setting it up for the future. Also these special pistons will allow the right sort of cams to to do that, because without them it's a clearance problem.

So I think the balance of tuning is still the same in the mk3 world though. I.e do 402's, ktec manifold, remap and you'll have 80% of the gains for 20% of the price. And beyond that is still largely the same all or nothing approach, but headwork seems to be the key ingredient I was missing.

Either way #noboost!!!

nice to see you happy again Rich..hope it all works out well for you this time :thumbup1:

Really pleased to hear you're motivated again with the car Rich!! Right decision you've made, you have put too much money in it too just leave it half standard and sell it on, just really hope you get the right figures with a reliable build this time round and it will be immense!

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Cliosport-carl Spotted 0
Zeezal Projects/Progress Threads 7
tkoh12 Clios For Sale 0
CL10 PAZ Spotted 0
tkoh12 Spotted 0