LY200 - too loud or blow up again, taking bets!

Well being without the car so long turned me a little sour and as the plan is to compete with it next year I decided I wanted the spec off the net. Must have been that time of the month! :wink:

However there was a lot of stale info in there anyway and something a little more concise wouldn't go amiss, although if a mod (@Chris91) can re-instate the last one somehow now that I've stopped being a pissy little girl(!) happy for that to happen. If not I think I'll end up posting the full new spec etc anyway.

While I'm on here though....... the car was making 224bhp whilst being mapped, but we may have an issue with the mild cams and high compression (basically dynamic cr remains high when there isn't the overlap to reduce cylinder pressures). And it seems the car isn't fit to be driven in anger!!!!!!!!!! :'(
I don't have the funds to do ITBs and wild cams together right now which is what it needs, well the ITBs just allow huge cams to idle and have some low speed tractability, but I was hoping those 2 items would have been luxury's I could add independently when I can afford it. So it looks like the car maybe laid up again for a while...again!
However I might just take a punt on 300deg cams on the plenum and just see what the **** happens!! Will be lumpy as **** but nothing to lose as if it's un-driveable... well it seems it's that way anyway!

Will be discussing options tomorrow when I should be picking it up and of course speaking to the builders. He was surprised to hear there was an issue during mapping, so I need to provide him with the details of the map (ign values, afr and exhaust gas temps) to be able to make a more informed judgement.

It will be very interesting to see what the builder wil say, is it Ashford motorsport?

Regarding your old thread, well, there was some valuable info there mate and some really nice posts. It'd be a shame for that info to be lost! Do a cleanup and re-instate it:smile:

Yeah Ashford built it. Headwork seems to be doing the trick though as I reckon I'm 8-10bhp from that and at 224bhp on 403's is bascially where I expected my first build to be! Don't like to speculate too much but it does bode well for big cams and bodies, wanna crack 240bhp on this one or as close as damn it anyway.

Sweet. Very good stuff indeed.

Did Ashford do the head as well? Do you reckon headwork will compliment milder cams? My car would be for belts next year and this is something I've always thinking to do..

Yep, though they send it to Ilmor :blush: :smile:!
Ashford said to me that the exhaust ports on the head choke the engine around 215-220bhp, and certainly ties in with what I saw before and now it's all flowed what I'm now seeing too.
If you're sticking on 402's I don't think it'll be much gained, but a decent head will always do something positive tbh.

I reckon you can build a 220bhp spec for reasonable money: 403's on stock pistons (will work great on stock CR), ktec manifold, head work, rod bolts, decent induction, maybe a standalone/maybe oem ecu remapped.
Anything more than that becomes insane because you're into needing to swap the pistons for valve clearance to run more cam, and that's when you end up going full retard :wink:

It's a shame it's cost me so much time and money to learn the above, because 220bhp is an ideal amount and very useable with no real extra stresses on box, clutch and shafts. And of course not silly costs really, but unfortunately the info just wasn't around - and actually is big part of why I ended up a bit pissy and deleted the thread because I thought I've spent all this ****ing money! Anyway the periods over now and time to care and share again!

haha thanks Rich, because sharing is caring:smile:

I've decided a long time ago that I won't be selling this car. I've spent so much time and money that even if I decide to sell at some point down the line it'll worth peanuts so I might as well run it to the ground. And with the car becoming 10 years old next summer it might be a good opportunity to celebrate accordingly ha!

Indeed it is lol! :smile:

Yep it gets to a point when you just know your car is your eventual coffin :biggrin:, might as well embrace it and make it as nice as you can!
To be fair they are cracking cars with tons of potential, and in decked x85 racer style - are definitely one bad ass looking race car :smile:

Panic over, my lack of verbal skills I think! So the mapper meant not track ready from the point of view the engine will need bedding in time etc. Will put the usual 500+ miles on and take it back and just check it over again, it is knock limited on these cams yes but the map is fine and safe, and whilst EGT's are high they are not worryingly so.

Anyway........ 224bhp and 195ftlb!!!

Sorry the print out was poor but this was 3 back to back runs to check, 223-224bhp and 192-195ftlb.
IMAG0732-768x570.jpg

Awesome !

Following intently with interest. And full kudos for bucking the trend. My type of guy.

240hp and 200+ lb ft would be an even more serious weapon than it must be now !

Yep when it's ready for the extras it'll be pretty nuts! Probably stay same torque figure, usually find that volumetric efficiency is improved further up the rev range but the actual amount of torque stays the same. So I wouldn't be surprised to see 195ftlb at say 5700rpm and the torque respectively higher from there, and hence power climbs given power is torque x revs. Given I'm not on bodies yet though, I guess 1 or 2ftlb might be on the table.

The engine's around 97ftlb per litre now, that's top end race spec and I'm amazed by it to be fair. Everything with the head work and piston crown design, to all the little details just have to be bang on to get that and doesn't come from bolting parts together. My last engine was essentially a parts bolt together, made bloody good torque too really at 182ftlb so can't fault it as 91ftlb a litre is a decent state of tune. But this even on the same cams, now that everything else as been engineered and built together it has gone next level really... pretty thrilled with the results to be honest!! :smiley:

Oh vid's will need to wait til it's all run in etc but will do something :wink:

Yep when it's ready for the extras it'll be pretty nuts! Probably stay same torque figure, usually find that volumetric efficiency is improved further up the rev range but the actual amount of torque stays the same. So I wouldn't be surprised to see 195ftlb at say 5700rpm and the torque respectively higher from there, and hence power climbs given power is torque x revs. Given I'm not on bodies yet though, I guess 1 or 2ftlb might be on the table.

The engine's around 97ftlb per litre now, that's top end race spec and I'm amazed by it to be fair. Everything with the head work and piston crown design, to all the little details just have to be bang on to get that and doesn't come from bolting parts together. My last engine was essentially a parts bolt together, made bloody good torque too really at 182ftlb so can't fault it as 91ftlb a litre is a decent state of tune. But this even on the same cams, now that everything else as been engineered and built together it has gone next level really... pretty thrilled with the results to be honest!! :smiley:

Oh vid's will need to wait til it's all run in etc but will do something :wink:

REALLY pleased your thrilled buddy. All the anal details have indeed now paid off. The numbers dont lie !

No rush for any vids. I dont even expect you to redline in every gear up the road. I just be really interested to hear it a little "on-song".......

Jeeesus Christ that thing pulls like holy hell!

As soon as you came off that roundabout the power was there without effort absolute animal.

Do we ask how much a build like this costs if someone else were to copy you or would you rather not say (understandable!)?

Thanks guys :smile:

Kazumz that was the old engine of course :smile: Though to be fair 10bhp/10ftlb are not going to be night and day, but looking forward to making another vid :wink:
As for the money... yeah enough is probably the best answer!! I mean parts alone are substantial as they are all top spec items, not sure if I mentioned prior but the spark plugs alone are close to £120 a set to give you some idea! But there's also the engineering and labour that goes into a proper motor that further drives cost vs something that's essentially just assembled together.

Also had a mishap on the Dyno because it threw the top hose off the rad (clip possibly not quite seated and engaged fully), cost me best part of £250 extra because it took close to 4 hours to clean up :worried: When the load pack is 7.5k on the dyno and the electronics god knows how much too, they had to literally stop asap and dry it the hell up! - That sort of thing is just par for the course with me and this car though, it's almost funny now (I think!)..!

Can easily reinstate the old thread if that's what you want to do Rich. I can keep it locked and have this as a new thread if you want or merge them? Up too you.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Cliosport-carl Spotted 0
Zeezal Projects/Progress Threads 7
tkoh12 Clios For Sale 0
CL10 PAZ Spotted 0
tkoh12 Spotted 0