L33th3tr33's Ultra red 197

Right so I've not had much time to do as much as I'd have liked but I've got a few little bits done.

I finally sprayed my inlet plenum, wrinkle black. I was going to go for grey or red but I don't want it getting oily finger marks everywhere.

33175ebbfc6be1af3da718727b1d44d0.jpg

Check out the pikey zip tie holding the air filter pipework [emoji23][emoji869] sounds great though and only cost me £25. I don't believe the ktec is worth the extra money, I'll figure out a way of shielding it off from the heat at some point.

I also had some spare braided sleeving, and although it was the wrong size for what I wanted it for, I did manage to pimp the bonnet prop.

281da426889d8bbd530cf93ffef350da.jpg
6d698e665534c99ca9e6ed92ae252fa9.jpg

Don't know if I like it but it'll stay until it annoys me or otherwise.

I was sick of looking at the poorly painted centre console from the previous owner, so I did a bit of colour coding. Not bad for a can of £5 spray paint.... With the correct paint code!

2ec81c93334fc57a03fec908fcd0e944.jpg

Looks a bit more presentable, but I'm not sure if I should colour code the strips to match, and possibly the vent trims. Might just do the strips black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Right so I've not had much time to do as much as I'd have liked but I've got a few little bits done.

I finally sprayed my inlet plenum, wrinkle black. I was going to go for grey or red but I don't want it getting oily finger marks everywhere.

33175ebbfc6be1af3da718727b1d44d0.jpg

Check out the pikey zip tie holding the air filter pipework [emoji23][emoji869] sounds great though and only cost me £25. I don't believe the ktec is worth the extra money, I'll figure out a way of shielding it off from the heat at some point.

I also had some spare braided sleeving, and although it was the wrong size for what I wanted it for, I did manage to pimp the bonnet prop.

281da426889d8bbd530cf93ffef350da.jpg
6d698e665534c99ca9e6ed92ae252fa9.jpg

Don't know if I like it but it'll stay until it annoys me or otherwise.

I was sick of looking at the poorly painted centre console from the previous owner, so I did a bit of colour coding. Not bad for a can of £5 spray paint.... With the correct paint code!

Looks a bit more presentable, but I'm not sure if I should colour code the strips to match, and possibly the vent trims. Might just do the strips black.

Love the DIY induction kit !

You going to plumb in a cold air feed or two to it ? With that: can't see how it couldn't be equal or better performing than anything else available.

I believe making the pipe work as long and as straight as possible = better torque. In that respect yours looks as good as you can do without battery relocation etc. Nice !

Pimp-my-bonnet-stay works for me too. On a previous car I modded that literally had a pretty polished / bling bay - I had mine chrome plated.

I might have a go at mine somehow now you've reminded me !

What about dash strips in black with a red pin-stripe or decals etc then lacquered over to carry the red theme through without being too OTT ?

Red paint infill in the now white parts of the vent 'balls' to do the same colour coding - again without being too 'chav'........?????

Me and @kevlar were talking about whether to do what you've done this evening. It's certainly not as in your face as I was expecting and genuinely suits it! Nice job! I reckon you need to do the strips OR the vents, bit of a mismatch with 3 colours. Be interesting to see if gloss black compliments it or not!

Reactions: kevlar
Me and @kevlar were talking about whether to do what you've done this evening. It's certainly not as in your face as I was expecting and genuinely suits it! Nice job! I reckon you need to do the strips OR the vents, bit of a mismatch with 3 colours. Be interesting to see if gloss black compliments it or not!

Agree the dash strips would look good matched up Red...

Love the DIY induction kit !

You going to plumb in a cold air feed or two to it ? With that: can't see how it couldn't be equal or better performing than anything else available.

I believe making the pipe work as long and as straight as possible = better torque. In that respect yours looks as good as you can do without battery relocation etc. Nice !

Pimp-my-bonnet-stay works for me too. On a previous car I modded that literally had a pretty polished / bling bay - I had mine chrome plated.

I might have a go at mine somehow now you've reminded me !

What about dash strips in black with a red pin-stripe or decals etc then lacquered over to carry the red theme through without being too OTT ?

Red paint infill in the now white parts of the vent 'balls' to do the same colour coding - again without being too 'chav'........?????

Yes, I am planning to find a way of getting a feed from somewhere, but need to look into pipework size to see what different sized pipe can do for an air feed, they're usually massive pipes but a smaller one would be easier to route through the bay without moving or relocating parts.

The bonnet stay was just braided sleeving and heatshrink, nice and easy! If needed I'll link you to what I used.

Good idea with the air vent 'balls', I've not seen that before! Maybe nail varnish will work, it seems to stain everything else!
I may have to do the strips to match, but I'll get some second hand ones as my silver ones are in really good condition.

After living with it for a few days I'm happy with it, yes it clashes at the minute but I never planned to leave the three colours, it was just to see if I could live with that much colour on my interior [emoji23]
I am thinking of doing the vents in gloss black, we shall see!

Agree the dash strips would look good matched up Red...

I think that's the general consensus.... maybe topped off with a nice decal.... a small diamond perhaps? In black, naturally [emoji6]

Reactions: Benno
happy with the induction set up??you should be fine without heat shielding it mate..run a meg engine and the intake temperatures are about 25 in this weather..

happy with the induction set up??you should be fine without heat shielding it mate..run a meg engine and the intake temperatures are about 25 in this weather..

Very happy! I normally only run ramair filters but I love the induction noise of a paper cone, it stays well oiled and it'll do for now, I'm hoping to meg engine mine next year, it'll be a summer project I'd imagine.

Right! So a proper update.
I've been 'satisfied' with my standard seats but they've never had quite the level of hold that a bucket does.
So after missing out on a pair of cobra imola 2's I almost brought a brand new pair of sparco revs after a long headache of searching for seats that fit a string bean. Luckily I closed my browser, turned the laptop off and slept on it. Next day, I went on eBay and found a pair of revs with sidemounts and harnesses for less than a brand new pair and they were only bought in January. And the best bit, they were just up the road from me.
So I sent an offer, no reply at all for a day and a half, so I bit the bullet and clicked buy now and they were mine. No word from the guy for a good few hours, and then all of a sudden..... ping! New message. Game on.... so off to collect the seats, and get them tucked in the shed until I figure out what I'm going to do for a subframe.
Had a little browse on eBay and a pair of omp subframes popped up for £120 shipped so I thought fuck it I'll just bang them in and off I go.
How wrong was I..... after redrilling and filing the floor holes for what seemed an eternity I finally got the piece of scrap metal in the car and bolted up. Cue the second headache. I had to file the mounting holes on the sidemounts too.
Third headache..... finding a place to mount the harness shoulder straps. I won't go into that but it's sorted now.
Anyway onto the pics!!
25d1ef6d9e9c240ea92e8f0fce15c29f.jpg
517c34276f63432d045686aa2c5661ce.jpg

Got these little brackets with the seats too, they're for an e46 but I fiddled with them and got them to fit my mounting holes, so that's the lap belt mount sorted.
338a93ac1f9d47132cd13e8e4cbce8dc.jpg

The resistors were easy to do, I spliced them into the original wiring and tucked it under the carpet, works like a charm.

The next bit.... self explanatory. Wind deflectors, long overdue.
e5868bae1f31e07fd586b15c6ad27d8f.jpg

Now the best bit will be hit and miss for some people but I'll let the pics do the talking and then I'll do some more blabbing.
4e3456f32ed4c1816d0e4ac3e143a6c3.jpg
dc374a0a7f0fb6e0a168fda0f9618086.jpg
d12bfc57eb35d126f6b67397403acdca.jpg
5fa4552ed64426653826e871000a9dfa.jpg
b7fc32a0953f985356877eba46c21030.jpg

So I've always wanted something along the lines of the f1 decals, but they had to be different to some degree.
I was originally after the sides only but the whole package barring the roof was only £25 so no biggy. I left my mate with that task while I was doing the seats, and assumed he knew I only wanted the sides fitted.... but no. Hey I paid for them so I'll rock them until I've made my mind up on them.

And one last shot after I left the car to come to costa, ignore the two girls I'm with and write this up. Priorities, right?

fb51518810b5594cc12a9578b1fb2e53.jpg

That is a properly sorted UR. Love it.
Did I miss the white writing on the sidewalls in a previous post??

Thanks for the kind words guys, appreciate it. It's not far off how I want it now, just need some minor details to set it apart.
The white writing I didn't post about as it lasted a whole 2 hours before it got scrubbed off, thanks to driving town a dusty, rocky lane to go watch motocross! I'll touch it up later I think but I do like it, that's the old school chavvy side coming out [emoji23]
I'll be concentrating on the interior next so stay tuned.

Very very nice indeed Lee.

Car sits REALLY well. And those OEM rims really suit it. Sometimes I miss ours.

Massive seat upgrade too. Looks like a right PITA but I'm sure it was totally worth it in the end!

Reactions: kevlar
I left my mate with that task while I was doing the seats, and assumed he knew I only wanted the sides fitted.... but no. Hey I paid for them so I'll rock them until I've made my mind up on them.

No need for the thinly veiled 'excuse' / get out clause bud. It looks GREAT ! Should have had more conviction of your vision :sunglasses:

Interior you say. I have a feeling you're going for rear-bench-out, a half cage or brace bar, one of those longer boot carpets = ClubSport look.

Tell me i'm wrong.....

Reactions: ///M