Just a little more power please...

I think you're forgetting a lot of stuff there if you want a 270BHP BAM and a VAG that handles...

Downpipe & exhaust, induction kit, front mount intercooler, 4-Bar, mapping, probably factor in a clutch too, as that won't last long... then there's the handling, TT wishbones, caster kit, ARBs, decent adjustable coilovers, upper and lower S3 strut braces, Cupra R rear bushes.. and absolutely without question a diff.

Soon adds up, eh? That's what my mates have done to theirs to make it keep up with my 'out of the box' 200 around a track.

Power isn't everything.

Last edited:
I think you're forgetting a lot of stuff there if you want a 270BHP BAM and a Golf that handles...

Downpipe & exhaust, induction kit, front mount intercooler, 4-Bar, mapping, probably factor in a clutch too, as that won't last long... then there's the handling, TT wishbones, caster kit, ARBs, decent adjustable coilovers, upper and lower S3 strut braces, Cupra R rear bushes.. and absolutely without question a diff.

Soon adds up, eh? That's what my mates have done to theirs to make it keep up with my 'out of the box' 200 around a track.

Power isn't everything.

you have reason.. now my 197 is very fast but i need a quaife or similar differential...
:coffee:

Yes, Simoxmino - I imagine you do!!!

I really really like what you've done to your car, I'm not sure I'd be prepared to spend the same amount of money but I think you've done it how I would if I did.

fit a differential..

my friend has an r3 access, a 197 gr.n and a road 197!

on his gr.n fit a differential and he's a gain of 2sec on the same track!

I think you're forgetting a lot of stuff there if you want a 270BHP BAM and a Golf that handles...

Power isn't everything.

who said anything about a golf?

leon cupra R 225, map 260HP+, coilovers, neuspeed / white line ARBS, poly bushes and coilovers.

cost of mods (to me) = approx £800.

Dont forget, i got 305 lbs/ft of torque out of a PD115 engine and have just come from the world of VAG tuning (also mates have been mesing about with BAM engine mk2 golfs.)

also just a note for your friends, VW never made a mk4 golf with the BAM engine or the KO4 turbo, and the BAM engined cars are 0.2 seconds to 60 quicker than the clios in standard form. sounds like, if your mates do have KO4 turbo converted golfs then they cant drive.....

You've a pic of a Golf. I assumed you were doing a BAM conversion.

Ok, a Cupra R still needs a fair chunk of that too.

LOL at your "I know everything about VAG" arrogance! I'm also known as Tony Danza, I'm sure you've seen me on uk-mkivs...

I've had more VAGs than you've had hot dinners. The car in question is Tabs'/Wilko/Duvet's Bora... fair enough it's on a K03S but with the weight loss it probably has similar BHP/Tonne to a 270 BHP Cupra R.

I'll do you a deal. If you can get your giant killing Cupra R around a track within 5 seconds of Tabs, I'll give you £100.

Last edited:
You've a pic of a Golf. I assumed you were doing a BAM conversion.

Ok, a Cupra R still needs a fair chunk of that too.

LOL at your "I know everything about VAG" arrogance! I'm also known as Tony Danza, I'm sure you've seen me on uk-mkivs...

I've had more VAGs than you've had hot dinners. The car in question is Tabs'/Wilko/Duvet's Bora... fair enough it's on a K03S but with the weight loss it probably has similar BHP/Tonne to a 270 BHP Cupra R.

I'll do you a deal. If you can get your giant killing Cupra R around a track within 5 seconds of Tabs, I'll give you £100.

i like the sound of you

its one of my old cars, PD115 MK4, no BAM conversion, a cupra R will need cash spending on it, i dont know everything about VAG cars but i know enough, im on UKMKIVS, i havent seen you on UKMKIVS, i love hot dinners, you got the engine codes confused (fail), it wont be similar BHP / tonne as a cupra R with 270hp, i dont have a cupra R, WTF is tabs?

ill have the £100 though cheers, my paypal is gouldy@mail.com.

What always confuses me is why would someone comment about VW Golfs on a Renault Clio forum? I can't imagine joining a VW forum to tell them how rubbish Golfs are compared to my 197 and expecting to have a balanced debate? Equally how can anyone compare Golfs with Clios anyway?

Also when cars become that heavily modified, its doesn't matter what badge is on the front. In fact, the badge is prob the only thing left that OEM and even thats removed sometimes. Its not a golf, is a VW hybrid or VW kitcar. Power figures are for pub debates, oneupmanship, penis enlargement devices and chest hair. Never tell the whole story.

The most single difference in any car is the person behind the wheel.

Last edited:
mkIV GTI's are chod. handle like a barge and look like a grandads car.

whats the point in putting all that power in a car that looks like miss marple's weekend runabout and handles like a bus?

will take £1000's to get it to handle anywhere near what a bogo standard RS would

So anyway, the other day I killed a mkv gti. Lol!

im a VW fanboy from australia (modestly modded pd100 polo).

after having driven the clio 197 the other day, i dont doubt for a second that you killed the mk5 gti. you'd kill a mk6 gti. and on the kinds of roads that i drive for fun, it pains me to say (again, i love VW) that you'd probably kill a golf R too.

in fact, on the kinds of roads that i drive for fun, i reckon you'd spank an audi rs3 (250kw of power aint gonna help you when you weigh 1575kgs, and there's 40km of corners with tightening apexes, and no straights).

but back OT- i would have thought that the usual suspects would be something like a k&n typhoon filter, and a remap?

i mean, dna tuning (not affiliated with them, but impressed by their claimed torque gains the most) claim +10hp and +28nm, all for only something like 400gbp... that's pretty reasonable, given that the car's N/A, isnt it?

or do not many clio owners do that right off the bat?

cheers,

scotty

Last edited:
Sounds like dna do remapping in which case yes, quite a few people seem to choose that option although average gains never seem to be much more than 10 bhp, if that.

im a VW fanboy from australia (modestly modded pd100 polo).

after having driven the clio 197 the other day, i dont doubt for a second that you killed the mk5 gti. you'd kill a mk6 gti. and on the kinds of roads that i drive for fun, it pains me to say (again, i love VW) that you'd probably kill a golf R too.

in fact, on the kinds of roads that i drive for fun, i reckon you'd spank an audi rs3 (250kw of power aint gonna help you when you weigh 1575kgs, and there's 40km of corners with tightening apexes, and no straights).

but back OT- i would have thought that the usual suspects would be something like a k&n typhoon filter, and a remap?

i mean, dna tuning (not affiliated with them, but impressed by their claimed torque gains the most) claim +10hp and +28nm, all for only something like 400gbp... that's pretty reasonable, given that the car's N/A, isnt it?

or do not many clio owners do that right off the bat?

cheers,

scotty

I was only joking mate, making a light hearted comment to lighten the thread a little. I didn't kill a GTi! Lol!