Just a little more power please...

What a great car but 25 -30bhp more would have made all the difference. The problem for Renault is it pushes it closer to the RS Meg and this may have hurt its sales.
So before we start getting excited, exhausts and filters do not give you 15bhp in the real world. We know superchargers can do but the jury is srill out on that one. Not gonna give me 30bhp I know but anyone done any headwork, cams, standalone ecu and sorted the air box out? If so what did it dyno?

Hell yes !!! Seats out... door trims off...Its the way to go. True Hardcore cup drivers are always looking to gain some extra lightness :wink:

Woody has done all that and DID get 30BHP. 232BHP I think I've read somewhere!?! :wink:

Colin Chapman Tuning is the way to go though as already said!!! :smile:

Agree with making the car lighter. Removing the rear seats, parcel shelf, jack, smaller battery etc would do some good. But then the suspension doesn't feel 'right'. Having all the engine work is big bucks, Megane engine seems the way forward over doing major work on the standard lump. Well, from what I have seen anyway.

Without spending big money the only way ur going to ge noticeable power sauna is with new cans and a remap, that what I'm looking at

getting extra power out of the f4r engines is very expensive and you often get little gains from spending thousands unless you are going to go down the forced induction route.

waste of time and money, for this reason and this reason alone i have stopped looking for a clio and im now looking at 1.8 20V T BAM engined cars. 270hp and 290 lbs ft for £400, yes please

That's why i sold mine as i've always had cars with turbo's, £600 got you 300bhp with the mk1 focus RS,
The clio handles good but is all show and no go,

getting extra power out of the f4r engines is very expensive and you often get little gains from spending thousands unless you are going to go down the forced induction route.

waste of time and money, for this reason and this reason alone i have stopped looking for a clio and im now looking at 1.8 20V T BAM engined cars. 270hp and 290 lbs ft for £400, yes please

I guess your right.....its a nut that many have tried to crack and failed. The gains are no where near what you'd expect for £'s. The frustrating thing is its very close to being a truely great car if it had the extra 230bhp to start with. Old argument but I personal would struggle putting 4 grand for forced induction given current financial climate.....

Last edited:
That's why i sold mine as i've always had cars with turbo's, £600 got you 300bhp with the mk1 focus RS,
The clio handles good but is all show and no go,

I also don't agree. When you buy one of these, you know that it hasn't got a turbo and it has to be driven differently, like other n/a cars with vvt. Such as the CTR. If you treat the Clio like a peice of sh!te, rev the nuts off it through the gears and keep the revs above 5000 rpm, it is quick and very capable. But it has 'only' got 190ish bhp, so obviously isn't going to play with the big boys in a straight line that are pushing upwards of 220 bhp.

The Clio all show and no go?
Erm our 182 only has 187bhp and that keeps up with some quick stuff even in a straight line. Yes the 197 isn't cheap to mod but you won't get a car that handles/brakes as well it does. Sure you can go out and buy a cheap turbo car but it won't touch the Clio on handling. If your doing drag races all the time then no, the Clio isn't the best choice.

Then you will just have to spend the big bucks getting it to handle properly...

coilovers and ARBS, which is what would be bought for a clio aswell as a VAG car

the mk 4 chassis (golf, bora, leon, A3 etc) handles surprisingly well when set up correctly, the clios handling is far superior only in standard form.

Last edited:
Reactions: Salvi139
What a great car but 25 -30bhp more would have made all the difference. The problem for Renault is it pushes it closer to the RS Meg and this may have hurt its sales.
So before we start getting excited, exhausts and filters do not give you 15bhp in the real world. We know superchargers can do but the jury is srill out on that one. Not gonna give me 30bhp I know but anyone done any headwork, cams, standalone ecu and sorted the air box out? If so what did it dyno?

30cv?

r3 230 piston
r3 230 cams
new ecu
v6 airbox
Ypipe
engine balanced and all in my signature :wink::wiz:

I guess your right.....its a nut that many have tried to crack and failed. The gains are no where near what you'd expect for £'s. The frustrating thing is its very close to being a truely great car if it had the extra 230bhp to start with. Old argument but I personal would struggle putting 4 grand for forced induction given current financial climate.....

although its not a clio, this is one reason why i would also look at the japanese domestic market for NA cars.

the EP3 civic in the UK has 198 HP, the JDM EK9s come with 230 HP standard.

maybe this is the sort of car you could look at if you are not happy with the R27?