Jimmy's Deep Black R27 no.243 - Goodbye kid, it's been a blast.

Yes Jimmy! Was wondering if you'd have one in time for xmas bash. They do sound good don't they?

Reactions: Jimmy
Thanks for the replies guys :smile: yeah they do sound really nice, such a difference to standard. I never disliked the sound of standard, it had it's charm, but an aftermarket really does improve things - definitely what they should have been like from the factory! It's the little pops that bring a smile to my face :smile:

It'll be great to have it on for the Xmas bash, I was starting to think I'd be the odd one out :smiley:

Ebay is definitely a good place to find a bargain Pav :wink: and to hopefully sell the sports cat!

you will..gotta love a bit more noise in your life...glad you are happy with it mate..hope it serves you long and well..

Brilliant Jimmy mate :smile: pleased you finally got one and the one you wanted, bonus it was at a good price.

Not forgot I still need to reply to you!!

Sounds really deep, Absolutely love it!

You'll have to get a vid of you proper giving it some uploaded for us :wink:

Yeah it is deeper than I thought it would be, but in a good way. I still haven't had chance to have a really good drive with it on yet, but I think I'll get out tomorrow and see what's what :wink:

I know @Micah mentioned he had some resonance in the cabin with his new one and I've noticed the same. I do have the powerflex mounts in, so that's probably a factor contributing towards it too. Not a downside, but it is noticeable.

Definitely a good price @Chris , I was surprised there wasn't more interest in it tbh. I think the sports cat might have put people off, although it was no issue for my mechanic to remove it, and I'm hoping I'll get some money back when I sell it on.

Ha yeah could well be a slippery slope @Sean197 , but I'm keeping a level head for now, I have the belts to do next year and I really can't neglect the wheel refurb too much longer either :oops:

Thanks for all the comments.

Reactions: Sean197 and Dystant
I'm glad I read this before posting my next thoughts on the Scorpion.
I've been looking at sound deadening in the boot and creating a barrier but can't quite pinpoint where the noise is actually coming from.
It's driving me slightly mad, the resonance in the cabin is at its worst when slowing down from 30 to 20, it goes right through my head. I even installed a decibel app on my phone this afternoon. I'm averaging 93db with town driving, stop start up to 30mph. I'm hoping it just needs running in as has probably covered less than 60 miles.
Good point about the mounts though, not sure how much they can affect it? Probably negligible [emoji53]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm glad I read this before posting my next thoughts on the Scorpion.
I've been looking at sound deadening in the boot and creating a barrier but can't quite pinpoint where the noise is actually coming from.
It's driving me slightly mad, the resonance in the cabin is at its worst when slowing down from 30 to 20, it goes right through my head. I even installed a decibel app on my phone this afternoon. I'm averaging 93db with town driving, stop start up to 30mph. I'm hoping it just needs running in as has probably covered less than 60 miles.
Good point about the mounts though, not sure how much they can affect it? Probably negligible emoji53.png

Yeah I notice the resonance around those speeds, although mine tends to be on acceleration, even slight. It seems to cause rattles/vibrations from places there wasn't any before, perhaps due to the resonance??

Interestingly, when my mechanic was explaining to me about the collar/sleeve problem, he also told me about how the exhaust was mounted at the the rear of the car - I've only really remembered now we've been talking about this. He said that he had had to put in extra rubber bushings(?) where it was mounted underneath the diffuser. The reason being that without them, there would have been more knocking/vibrations.

Now this doesn't explain the resonance, however I wonder if, as standard, the supplied mounts aren't that great for sound deadening?? I might be completely wide of the target here, but I thought I'd mention it.

Today I had the chance to get out in the car and have a good drive over the Yorkshire Dales, and to get a better impression of what the Scorpion sounds like. It is awesome, I love it and I'm really happy that I've had it fitted. It sounds terrific revved out to the red line, some nice pops on up-changes and it really does change the character of the car. There is still a bit of resonance, but it's not too bad and the overall improvement in sound makes it worthwhile!

I got a couple of videos to share, the first one is two clips together of acceleration sounds (check out my editing skillz yo). The second one is a longer clip of the drive over the tops, with a mix of driving.

Great stuff Jimmy, makes me want to take the car out for a blast but don't have anywhere near as good roads round here. Maybe the trade off is Brands Hatch only being down the road... 2017 watch out!
I did pop down to the shops today and loved the exhaust, can't wait to open it up. What did make me chuckle was setting off my neighbour's car alarm as I drove past it [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, very lucky to have such good roads just a few miles away, it makes going out for a drive all the more fun!

Definitely don't need great roads to enjoy the exhaust though! It does seem to pop and burble more at low speed changes, which is fun! No car alarm issues yet, that honour goes to my neighbour with his RS3...

Reactions: Pav and Micah