Itb

Wow, that's a really honest opinion Ben? U not overly impressed with your car mate?

I love my car because its mine and i luv the personality and attachment to it, although its come a little too close to the edge this time round on reliability.

I've always wanted ITBs, even in the days of my 1.4 clio they've appealed to me. I love the looks, the sound and the way they drive. But as you get older value for money becomes a little more a priority, and bhp per pound the ITBs are far behind the megane engine.

You also got to remember the megane engine is designed to run a turbo and 230bhp, a clio engine is not designed to run 220bhp, as i've found out the hard way :worried:

5 grand for megane lump from ktec or 2 for the at throttle body kit though that's why I was looking into it.

I can fit it my self and comes with base map ready for mat to fully map it but doesn't matter as the kit will not work on road car although at power say it will.

I love my car because its mine and i luv the personality and attachment to it, although its come a little too close to the edge this time round on reliability.

I've always wanted ITBs, even in the days of my 1.4 clio they've appealed to me. I love the looks, the sound and the way they drive. But as you get older value for money becomes a little more a priority, and bhp per pound the ITBs are far behind the megane engine.

You also got to remember the megane engine is designed to run a turbo and 230bhp, a clio engine is not designed to run 220bhp, as i've found out the hard way :worried:

Wouldn't disagree but its funny how the meg engine appears to be the answer but its not a cheap option. Minimum of 4 grand+ to do it right. Your never quite sure the true history of the engine your fitting given most are sold after breaking the car. Turbo's are known to give up and also clutches if you run too much power. You may still have to pay for cambelt change depending on mileage.
Its not a better mod, just different. More power but equally more things to potentially go wrong.
My last car, I didn't know when to stop moddin until the car spent more time in the garage than on the road. I hated it but conversely it was of my own making. I turned a great car into a money pit in the chase for more power not thinking how it would impact on other components.

Woody should always be the point of reference when moddin clio's.

Woody was trying for big numbers on tech that wasn't proven on these cars, whether the work done was right or wrong is becoming difficult to prove as more people try different routes. But, I have been informed as to was responsible for the path that was taken by Matt, his guiding light if you like, the original modder of these cars

Kevo step up to the plate, do you take the blame or accolade for encouraging us all

Mikey I broke a piston ring on one cylinder and ****ed the piston lol, looking at a £2000 rebuild ATM.

Throttle body setups will not cost you £2000. Before you start doing the math please speak to Matt @ TDF who fits these AT power bodies to 197s on a daily basis, the conversion work is massive. Mines been with him for over 2 months now and we're still having glitches with the speedo, tick over etc.

I would budget a minimum of 4k for the most basic of ITB setups, and that's with the malfunctioning standard dash retained. Add another £1000 for the race dash and you'll want to raise the limiter to access more power so add another £200 for ARP rod bolts + fitting, and to consistently run in that range (8000rpm) you'll want an oil cooler as mine was getting too hot without on track when over revving it. They cost about £300 for a good thermostatted system with sensor take offs.

You can soon see how the costs mount up... And all of this is before the many hours of rolling road needed, and trust me to get it right you'll need alot!

ben,

the malfunctioning standard dash that you mentioned, do you mean we cant use the standard dashboard that comes with the 197 once we convert?

I'm not the best person to ask, I can only forward on what I've learned from TDF. But according to Matt the standard dash can be used with the standalone but all the forementioned warning lights will be on and the fuel gauge doesn't work.

cant they do a piggy back setup.

so standard ecu runs the car and the new one runs the engine?

Or use an ECU that isnt so basic in function that it cant run the dash. IE Omex 600 or similar?

It goes far deeper than anyone but the pros could ever understand. If we were talking 182 here then it's a easy job but the 197s ecu is a stubborn old gurl and doesnt like changes. It's extremely limited to what it can do outside of the oem parameters. The piggyback ecu could work in theory, but I've no idea!

Speedo and tacho can be run off standalone, that's a simple case of getting a relative pulse to the correct terminal to excite the receiver.

As stated above I'm the wrong guy to ask, give Matt a bell.

@ FMP: the Omex 600 is starting to get on now and even that has control limitations in these new cars, they are more suited to older models with less control parameters ( Clio mk1/2 ).

Last edited:
It goes far deeper than anyone but the pros could ever understand. If we were talking 182 here then it's a easy job but the 197s ecu is a stubborn old gurl and doesnt like changes. It's extremely limited to what it can do outside of the oem parameters. The piggyback ecu could work in theory, but I've no idea!

I agree with your comments...the ecu is the biggest hurdle with all the conversions (including the meg conversion). My limited experience with ITB is setting them up and staying set. My friend had a set and they were never right. Car was always at the tuners.....

I agree with your comments...the ecu is the biggest hurdle with all the conversions (including the meg conversion). My limited experience with ITB is setting them up and staying set. My friend had a set and they were never right. Car was always at the tuners.....

no problems at all with the ECU with the meg conversion. you just replace the clio one with the megane one. Swap over the imobiliser details and job done.

but thats a different topic for a different thread! 8)