Intake temp?

I've got an open cone on mine (unfortunately i wasn't given the original airbox with the car), and noticed ive been getting some nutty intake temps.

General drive 6deg c outside, water temp between 75-79 and intake sits around 35deg c! Not when I get a bit spirited, sits at around 40-45, although the highest I have seen it at is 65!!!

I know its due to the open filter, but what sort of temp should I be seeing? Just want to make sure the induction kit isn't doing too much damage,.

Mine is typically around 15-20C above ambient, when cruising under load, obviously they all get high in traffic / low speed use.

Mine is typically around 15-20C above ambient, when cruising under load, obviously they all get high in traffic / low speed use.

Think that's because the IAT sensor is mounted on the intake manifold and that being from such a material that it is it gets really hot when the engine is warm. If it was mounted on the intake piping the value would be lower like on other cars.

It was on the manifold on my standard 1.7 and Ford Racing Puma inlets, both of those gave lower temps, especially the Racing one.

No, it goes like a rocket. Have you looked at your inlet temps? It is largely down to the design of the inlet, placing the plenum on top of the engine, allied to the complex inlet pipework to the airbox.

No, it goes like a rocket. Have you looked at your inlet temps? It is largely down to the design of the inlet, placing the plenum on top of the engine, allied to the complex inlet pipework to the airbox.

If you are suffering from heat soak your car will be bogging down like mad unfortunately.

If I were you I would try get hold of the standard airbox asap

Whereas i wouldnt bother with what some computer is saying with numbers and aslong as the car feels pokey to you then enjoy the beasty noise it inevitably makes and leave it be, for now at least :tongueout:

Effective enough with painkillers, so does the job doesnt it?

Only if you are hunting every last bhp would i consider going to the trouble of refitting the STD airbox. Oh gauranteed he is losing maybe 5 or even 10bhp on a hot summers day from this but aslong as when the foot is down it pulls to your expectations why bother changing it?

Besides 10bhp isnt enough to make a big performance difference, when i ran 25bhp jets on the nitrous for initial installation setup stage it was barely noticable increase in performance!

Last edited:
Yes it filters the air and does the job but open cone filters in the engine bay suffer from heat soak and have been seen to lose an engine upto 20hp @fly and also lose torque.

Unfortunately unless open cone filters are run in a boosted application with an intercooler thus making it possible to achieve over 110% volumetric efficiency all they do is suffer from boat loads of hear soak causing loss of power, torque and mpg.

I just read your edited post.

On the 197s open cone filter have been known to drop the power from 194hp down to as low as the 160s hp.

I can't express how important cool dense air is to complete combustion.

I just looked at the BHP/Litre they've managed to get out of an NA engine and decided that I couldn't improve it by spending £100 or whatever on an induction kit. ITG Panel Filter is doing a fine job for me and makes a decent enough noise too, still, once the revs are up the engine's loud enough and sounds mint anyway. :smile:

Plus, that setup quoted me happy on the rollers.

Last edited:
Indeed it is mate, i've been a vehicle engineer for 6 years so i know a lil about volumetric efficiency and how denser air has more compacted air particals per an x amount of given space. But thats engineering and science isnt it. ( yes yes i know i sound like a tit saying it like that on a forum, more suited to cliosport eh? )

The chap is worried that a computer is telling him his engine draws in hot air, thats a given with this setup on a 197. But if he'd never plugged that pesky computer into his car he'd have no worries as he stated that the cars performance is more than adequate to his standards.

To me it seems pointless sourcing a STD airbox, piping, cold bumper feed, acoustic valve and associated vacuum pipe for an invisible 10bhp :tongueout:

If you are suffering from heat soak your car will be bogging down like mad unfortunately.

If I were you I would try get hold of the standard airbox asap

I do have a standard airbox. I am not concerned about the temps, they seem to be similar to what anyone else with a scanner has reported. It was Ozi who was concerned, though I would be suprised if his readings were any lower.

Sure, lower temps would be great, but there is little that can be done.

i sort of see what you mean, but if it was me i would like to be told that more performance could be had from my car by changing a simple part.

im only trying to help chaps.

Indeed it is mate, i've been a vehicle engineer for 6 years so i know a lil about volumetric efficiency and how denser air has more compacted air particals per an x amount of given space. But thats engineering and science isnt it. ( yes yes i know i sound like a tit saying it like that on a forum, more suited to cliosport eh? )

The chap is worried that a computer is telling him his engine draws in hot air, thats a given with this setup on a 197. But if he'd never plugged that pesky computer into his car he'd have no worries as he stated that the cars performance is more than adequate to his standards.

To me it seems pointless sourcing a STD airbox, piping, cold bumper feed, acoustic valve and associated vacuum pipe for an invisible 10bhp :tongueout:

i like science, i can get carried away some times. especially with things like bernoullis theory and why air under your track car is bad. :smiley: