197: Insurance dilemma

Yeah it's surprising how much difference a post code makes...

i turned 25 now so let's see if mine drops!

The way they work car insurance out from postcodes is a joke, I'm moving house soon and mine jumps up by ~£200. The town I'm moving to is about 6miles down the road lol.

I'm sure they just charge what they want, our government makes it law to have car insurance in this country yet doesn't have a governing body to oversee the company's that provide it.

Jordan, I had the same problem so I put my bird on my insurance (She's 24 driving since 17) and it made it go down quite a bit. Im 23 and driving for a year and still pay 1500£ though it also depends where you live, because at my old house the insurance was a lot higher. Try asking your Mum or Dad to be a named driver as it might bring it down.

At the moment I am with 1st Central as they were the cheapest without the black box.

Use a Parent if possible. As the main policy holder won't effect any NCB they have, just your own.
Try Aviva, they were good to me and cheaper than any comparison site.

Just rang my insurer to bring it down and they said if i up my voluntary excess to £500 and do 4k miles a year instead of 5k would bring it down to £2500 haha what a load of ****e this insurance is

Have a look on directline, I was 21 when I first got my clio, had zero no claims and it was around £1500 ish for the year.. they aren't on comparison sites so it might be worth a try.

Im 19 with 3 penalty points and 1 claim under my belt already and am only paying 1500 Euro (Rep. Of Ireland) on a 2007 197 with Aviva

I always thought insurance in the UK was cheaper in general than here

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Have a look on directline, I was 21 when I first got my clio, had zero no claims and it was around £1500 ish for the year.. they aren't on comparison sites so it might be worth a try.
Just tried them mate said they are unable to give me a quote haha.... must be a combination of my age and postcode....

Im 19 with 3 penalty points and 1 claim under my belt already and am only paying 1500 Euro (Rep. Of Ireland) on a 2007 197 with Aviva

I always thought insurance in the UK was cheaper in general than here 樂

I tried aviva too and they said they was unable to insure me....pulling my hair out with this....

I tried aviva too and they said they was unable to insure me....pulling my hair out with this....
While this may be dlightly illegal, if you live in a different home to your parents, check the quote if you have the car as being parked at their address.

A friend of mine lives 10 mins down my road from me in a different postal code, but still the same area essentially, and i got a quote for 400 euro cheaper on his mk4 golf than he was paying for it

While this may be dlightly illegal, if you live in a different home to your parents, check the quote if you have the car as being parked at their address.

A friend of mine lives 10 mins down my road from me in a different postal code, but still the same area essentially, and i got a quote for 400 euro cheaper on his mk4 golf than he was paying for it

That's not slightly illegal, but illegal full stop if you're not parking where you've said you are. Many people do this and whilst it may seem like a good idea, as soon as you're caught out you won't be getting insurance for the next 5+ years. Have you called adrian flux/greenlight/brentcare/other brokers e.g Swinton?

Last edited:
Ok just got off the phone with direct line, they said the reason i cant get a quote online is because ive only had my licence since September 2013 and they wouldn't normally insure someone whos had a licence for that long on this type of car, he said he will over ride that since ive got 1 year NCB and the quote came in at £1700. Starting to get somewhere now. I cant try green light because need to of had you licence for 3 years with them but ill try adrian flux and a few others later on. thansk for all the help guys

Online sites are all well and good, however as you've found it's always better to speak to an actual person as they're able to look into each case on its individual merits, rather than a computer program just ticking boxes, as it were.

And I agree with DS197, no one should ever do anything dodgy or outright illegal just to get a cheaper premium - it really isn't worth it in the long run. Sometimes we just have to bite the bullet and pay through the nose, but it does get cheaper over time :smile:

Just finished ringing a few and here is what ive been quoted:

Bell (current insurer) - £2600
Direct line- £1700
Adrian Flux - £2000
Aviva - Wont insure under 25 on this car
LV - Same as aviva
Green light- Need to have had licence for 3 years(only had mine 2 years 10 months)
Swinton - £9600 ( yes thats correct, he said thats the cheapest one on there that they could offer me)

I mean is it really worth £1700? I think if the right car pops up for me to move on to i might just have to move on until im 25 as £1700 is quite a bit of money just for insurance (imagine the mods i could do with that sort of money haha) Direct line said it would be £1200 for a lexus is250 which has a v6 in it. not as quick as the clio but its rear wheel drive so should be quite a bit of fun. But in the back of my mind im thinking is it worth changing cars just to save a few quid?

Just finished ringing a few and here is what ive been quoted:

Bell (current insurer) - £2600
Direct line- £1700
Adrian Flux - £2000
Aviva - Wont insure under 25 on this car
LV - Same as aviva
Green light- Need to have had licence for 3 years(only had mine 2 years 10 months)
Swinton - £9600 ( yes thats correct, he said thats the cheapest one on there that they could offer me)

I mean is it really worth £1700? I think if the right car pops up for me to move on to i might just have to move on until i'm 25 as £1700 is quite a bit of money just for insurance (imagine the mods i could do with that sort of money haha) Direct line said it would be £1200 for a lexus is250 which has a v6 in it. not as quick as the clio but its rear wheel drive so should be quite a bit of fun. But in the back of my mind i'm thinking is it worth changing cars just to save a few quid?

Honestly, I don't think anyone can say if it's worth it or not apart from you as everyone's situation is different and so is the sentimental value of the car. I personally am a car enthusiast through and through and all my disposable income goes on the car. Nights out at the bar, expensive clothes etc not for me. Also depends on how much you've spent on maintenance on the car and the possibility of you spending more on a new car you may purchase. I know how expensive insuring these Clios as a 21 year old can be as i'm in the same situation, but can understand if you want to move on to something less expensive to insure.

Last edited:
Anyway you can not drive it for a few months or drive a parents car unitl you've had your license 3 years? Then you might find some better quotes...

They are some hefty quotes, however I guess that is literally the price to pay for having a sporty car at 21. I feel for you, I've been there in the past.

I agree with [MENTION=53102]DS197[/MENTION] , for me my car is my main hobby/thing to spend money on, so I put up with the costs involved - for me insurance isn't so bad at my age, however maintenance, fuel costs, road tax etc, it all adds up, but I'm prepared to pay it for the experience of owning this car.

I can see where you're coming from with regards changing a car to get lower insurance, but that in itself could potentially have its pitfalls - the different car could end up costing you a lot more in other areas - fuel costs in that V6 for example...

If you're determined to stay in a nice car (the Clio) then I would bite the bullet and pay the £1700 - the costs will come down once you have the extra years under your belt. :smile:

FWIW I paid out nearly that much just on maintenance alone last year, on top of my insurance, fuel, tax etc... These cars aren't cheap :smiley:

Similar Thread Suggestions