Hid's vs upgraded bulbs?

Many of you may have seen my last thread about projectors and hids! Now i have got my projectors (massive thanks to Karl top fella and great service) and was all set on ordering my hids for them.

However now i have them im not sure if i want to butcher the plastic cover on the back in order to get the wire out ot the ballast! I also dont want to be leaving anyway in which condensation can get in and mist them up. So what would you say to just upgraded bulbs i.e philps diamond white over hids! I did only want 4300k hids for the classy effect of them!

All opinions will be helpful (sorry for the essay to ha) :001_rolleyes:

Given that MOT stations are now actively looking for HID kits as they are illegal personally I wouldn't bother fitting them. Its too much hassle changing back to standard every year for fancy bulbs IMO. Stick with some uprated bulbs.

When you cut a hole in the back for the wire, its has its own seal so no water can get in, mines been fine for well over a year.

As for the MOT it will still pass, its only cars that had them factory fitted (so the washer jets and self leveling) if they are found at fault then it won't pass, but yours won't have either.

As for the colour temp that's the best option for the brightest output so spot on there.

When you cut a hole in the back for the wire, its has its own seal so no water can get in, mines been fine for well over a year.

As for the MOT it will still pass, its only cars that had them factory fitted (so the washer jets and self leveling) if they are found at fault then it won't pass, but yours won't have either.

As for the colour temp that's the best option for the brightest output so spot on there.

This isn't true mate, HID kits have always been illegal its just that now MOT stations are actively looking for them. I believe there is a thread on it somewhere. Any kind of Xenon etc. lighting system needs self leveling and washer regardless of whether they were fitted at factory or aftermarket

My car will be run with Hids. Dans when it does need a mot I'll just change bulbs. It's like anything EG stretched tyres they won't pass a MOT. But all the vag lot do it

Ah right okay! See am not really bothered if they do need to be taken out for the mot! All I'm worried about is them misting up due to having the hole for the wires to go through! Think I will get some and trial them out first I can always get spair caps from a scrappy if I decide to go back to normal bulbs!

Done correctly with a grommet and possibly some sealant it should not let tha damp in.

they will spot them as they will hhave no beam pattern when they test for this

does not matter if you have a neat install or not.

That would make more sense than just failing because of a wire hanging out the back.

I honestly think that they will only be checking the auto level and washer jets are working if installed, as part of this new mot requirement.

A lot of people saying different things, so I guess we will just have to wait and see.

I'm pretty sure I read the official mot changes, and above is what I read from it

They must have working washer jets and self level device working to get mot'd. Is all this hassle really worth it? STD headlights are very good anyway ( as are all new cars ).

Lol it is more than worth the bumper removal to change the lights, once you've had hids the standard bulbs are ****e.

ok just had a little read off this thread i have just passed my MOT licance to test and spoke to the vosa rep. asking what the fail criteria is for these aftermarket hid kits he said "they will only fail if there is headlight washers fited but do not work,if there is a self leveling sensor fited and inop or broken such as not working as required,or if the beam pattern is obscured"i also have read the special notice issued by vosa and basicly says the same.so if you fit hid's dont fit headlight washers unless you are going to fit them to actualy work!hope this helps :smile:

Similar Thread Suggestions