Help wanted: The End of the dream

Mike

Gestapo
Platinum Member
I had a lovely phone conversation yesterday with UPS HR Department in Basel, Switzerland about moving to Zürich.

There's risk involved - I have to resign from UPS UK and re-apply to UPS Switzerland - no issue there, but if I didn't like it there, then i'd have to re-apply to UPS UK and restart all over again (much lower pay, less holiday, pension etc etc)

So really it is down to the two nations head on:

:uk: vs :swiss:

What does this chav filled, rip off country have to offer?

Here is what the average bunch of British people do at the weekend:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4IsxVQXJck[/YOUTUBE]

And the average Swiss family (including some on here - backspin, seriosha etc:wink::wink: )

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP9_DnONseI[/YOUTUBE] :wink:

Britain:

1.jpg

Vs Switzerland:

matterhorn.jpg

Britain:

LaurenBooth1SWNS_468x293.jpg

Switzerland:

0.jpg

Any idea what I should do???

LOL!!!

Last edited:
Salary in Swissland is CHF 57400 which is £39000 at today's rate. Sounds alot? Not there it isn't, a friend of mine there says that CHF 70000 is around average, but hopefully, someone from there will come in this thread and correct me.

The salary drop if I come back here would be about £10k PA

Go to the US of AAA instead Mike, our average driver there is on USD$75,000. :thumbup:

So you'd basically be starting on the lowest rung of salary again I take it? It's odd how they can't just do a transfer, I'm sure managers transfer from region to region without having to drop any Brown Dollars. I can see the appeal though, I really can but the one thing that'd put me off is the cost of living. And, a little bit, the intolerence of performance cars.

Starting from new yes. Existing service cannot be taken into account :worried:

Waiting list for UPS in the US is 2 years plus lol!! And that's for a US citizen lol!

I've heard that over there you have to start on Pre-Load too!?! I suppose that's the American Dream though, work your way up.

Take the plunge and do it. Its, something you have always wanted to do so get it done Mike.

Even if its not what you expect you can come back to blighty with your head held high knowing that you tried.

If you don't take the opportunity then you will always have that "what if" thought in the back if your mind.

Salary in Swissland is CHF 57400 which is £39000 at today's rate. Sounds alot? Not there it isn't, a friend of mine there says that CHF 70000 is around average, but hopefully, someone from there will come in this thread and correct me.

The salary drop if I come back here would be about £10k PA

1- It does not sound like allot , in the mad world we live in living on sub 40k is i imagine getting harder and harder . saying that not much point only " just tipping " the 40% tax bracket . . . . .

2- id have two weeks of work and ask to job shadow !

Go got to be better than this country but if you are not 110% sure don't go :thumbsup:

I'm gonna see if HR in this country can speak to HR there, I am a little irritated that my 7 years employment in UPS counts for nothing there, so I would be a new starter and have to have new starter pay & holiday allowance!

I have an amazing package in this country now, so don't want to lose that!

It is a very nice country to live in however remember about the living costs, spent most of my winters in Switzerland and my best friend is from Zurich, be prepared for a big shock :smile: living standard is far nicer i would never look back at living in the UK after i left to study in Italy...