Help persuade the wife 197 NOT Corsa VXR

Cheers for all the replies,seem say very friendly site. I've done bit more research andthevxr does seem to have a good few niggles. I think i can persuade her to get the 197! The 200 is prob a tiny bit out of budget, there are a few f1'@ about :smile:

:confused1: at what point did i say handling in a hot hatch is or is not important?
im not even saying the vxr's a better car either! just saying u cant just say everything about the vxr is bad and the clio's the best thing since sliced bread with no faults at all. they both have there pro's and cons......

lol

Comparing trusted media sources, handling, styling and reliability is probably a sensible place to start when looking at a hot hatch.

Hence the reason why the Clio is critically acclaimed and the VXR is not.

Last edited:
The VXR loses out in pretty much every critics opinion. BUT you cant take other peoples word when your spending YOUR money. Obviously some people prefer the VXR otherwise nobody would buy them. They are popular and they (probably) are a good car. Go and drive one an pick the one you like the best.

Then post the pictures of your new 197 on here in a few weeks time :wink:

Welcome!

Im sure if you put the same thread title on a vxr forum everyone would slate the clio lol, unfortunately choosing cars is difficult, however id go for the renault :wink:

I love my 200, dont see any on the road, see plenty of vxr's though. And im pretty sure vxr owners dont get the looks i do in my 200, unless they are screaming past on boost with a miltek attached!

cheers all for the replies!

were off this weekend to go and look at a few more.

i cant decide, sorry the wife cant decide :wink: on an F1 or a standard 197?

will let you all know!

First, Hey and welcome.

What are you going to use the car for? a day to day car with a bit of poke on faster roads? or tracking it?
Because they are both pretty much the same speed so getting to 70mph isnt really going to make a difference in which car you get. if your going to track it i would say get the clio as it is known for its handling.

But if your going for looks, then they both looks hot sporty hatches, i wouldnt be bothered about the VXR having a chavvy name. around here i don't think it does, its a seriously quick car like the 197.
Like you said you think the 197 looks better

the 197 is insurance group 15 and VXR is 16 (wifes like cheaper money saving cars....)
VXR if it has 18" alloys then your tyres are going to cost more, 197's have 17" so a little bit cheaper.
Then you just need to see what options you want with it.

Like said have a look around, test drive a few, as each 197 and VXR will feel slightly different.

And although i love 197's and choose it over the VXR and type R, don't rule them out because they have chavvy names!

Welcome!

Im sure if you put the same thread title on a vxr forum everyone would slate the clio lol, unfortunately choosing cars is difficult, however id go for the renault :wink:

I love my 200, dont see any on the road, see plenty of vxr's though. And im pretty sure vxr owners dont get the looks i do in my 200, unless they are screaming past on boost with a miltek attached!

I'm with Marshall on this one. I see a fair amount of VXR's around but rarely see any 197's / 200's :smile:

lol

Comparing trusted media sources, handling, styling and reliability is probably a sensible place to start when looking at a hot hatch.

Hence the reason why the Clio is critically acclaimed and the VXR is not.

all my days.... WHENNNNN did i say that handling, styling, and reliability isnt important in a hot hatch!? yes the clio has some gd area's but so does the vxr. all ur trying to say is that the vxr is terrible at everthing when its clearly not.

all my days.... WHENNNNN did i say that handling, styling, and reliability isnt important in a hot hatch!? yes the clio has some gd area's but so does the vxr. all ur trying to say is that the vxr is terrible at everthing when its clearly not.

the VXR is definetly not terrible, has anyone actually drove one thats slagging them off?

and tbh, asking the question whats better a 197 or VXR on clio197.net is only going to end one way....

both me and the father have been in/drove a VXR.
both our personal prefrences are for the 197.
VXRs are very quick little cars but the styling is far too OTT and it can feel wild when cornering too quickly.

a vxr for the straights but a 197 for the corners. it's also down to the driver. some people will get more out of a vxr then a 197 as you have to really drive the Renault.

will let you all know!

Standard car. Suspension is a bit softer and then you can decide if you like the wheels in anthracite, you cna have them done like I did. The insurance is generally a little bit cheaper and they are generally cheaper to buy.

But then again, the F1 is that little bit more special being as though they only made 500 in the UK.

So depends what you prefer.

cheers all for the replies!

were off this weekend to go and look at a few more.

will let you all know!

Well I am glad to see that the decision has progressed from 'Clio vs VXR' to '197 vs R27' LOL!
I voted with my wallet and got the R27 just because it comes in Liquid Yellow and they are really rare! I have never looked back.

Oh and welcome, I look forward to the next thread: which colour Clio to buy!

:welcome: