Big oil leak help

patto07

Paid Member
I recently did a oil and oil filter change. The oil filter was so tight it took ages to get off. I finally got it off put a new one on and replaced oil. Ever since my car is pissing out oil from what looks like near the oil filter. I can't see properly where it's coming from but it's from that area because it's running down the two pipes just underneath the oil filter. I thought maybe oil filter hasn't sealed properly so changed it again
But soon has I turn the engine on oil is pouring out onto the groud. I can loose a litre in a few minutes.
It only pours oil out when the engine is running. Could I of done any damage getting the oil filter off with it been on so tight. Any help appreciated

As above, check to see if the seal is still there first.

If the old filter was tight, it's possible that you've slightly undone the oil cooler/heat exchanger slightly. If you remove the filter, you should see a Hex head. This screws through the oil cooler and into the block.

Looks similar to item on the left below:

1704540155454.png

I believe they’re 27mm.

Usually not enough room for a regular socket either, so you’ll have to use an open ended spanner (I think).

Reactions: patto07