Help persuade the wife 197 NOT Corsa VXR

Hi,

My first post, firstly sorry to swear on here by typing the letters V, X and R :thumbdown:

My wife has finally given in, I have a boring company car and I/we have always wanted a pocket rocket.

I was 99% of the way there with the 197 until some idiot in the car supermarket said to the wife (after a test drive in a 197) "Oh if you like small hot hatches come and check out this we've just had in..." - there in the corner was a COUGH VRX.

Her head was wrecked and we walked away...

So on a serious note what are your arguments FOR the 197 against the VXR.

I just think the VXR spells CHAV, no offence to anyone who knows someone who has one. I just think the 197 just looks way better.

Just one other question, sorry to ask here but I mayaswell.

Am I right in saying the the main differences between the CUP and the F1 are.

They are the same but the F1 is not a 'stripped' as the CUP as in you have aircon etc and the F1 has the mad decals?

Cheers for any help

This could turn nasty lol.

Image.

The new Corsas are great cars, but the name Corsa is shared with the B and C models, which some of don't have a good image, and tars the D (VXR) with the same!

Welcome matey. Its a difficult choice and I aint gonna make it easier. I had a VXR for over a year and loved every minute of it.

Now onto the 200 and also loving every minute of this.

F1 was a limited edition with Cup chassis, Recaros and decals. Cup chassis was an option on later 197's. A strict "Cup" has the cheaper dash, manual mirrors, a/c is optional, limited range of colours, black bodyside mouldings, no comfort access, no steering wheel adjust, etc.

Also, welcome to the site, very friendly bunch on here. In addition to my above post, the Clio looks better too! Lol!

firstly :welcome: mate
second be a man and tell her 197 or divorce:wink::rofl:

I didn't even consider the VXR, as you say it screams CHAV and also they're notoriously unreliable

VXR :

Unreliable
Crap handling (compared to a 197/200)
Chav image

197/200 :

Highly acclaimed award winning hot hatch

The end.

VXR :

Unreliable
Crap handling (compared to a 197/200)
Chav image

197/200 :

Highly acclaimed award winning hot hatch

The end.

no offence but all uve done is chose the bad points from the vxr and the good from the clio..not really fair, at the end of the day the people on this site will say clio but go to a vxr site and there ovi say vxr...

You need to look at what the critics say and then test drive them too. It's all down to preference, but the Clio is better when looking at Auto Car, Evo and Fifth Gear. Not sure if there any more videos tbh?

I had a choice between a VXR and a 197 before I put my money down but after seeing a VXR on the road I didn't get the same thrill from it that the 197 gives me.

Its funny how the tests come up with this or that is better then the Clio but repeatedly the Clio comes up trumps and they pick it as their favourite (not that I blame them)

Get a 197/200 and don't look back and welcome to the site.

no offence but all uve done is chose the bad points from the vxr and the good from the clio..not really fair, at the end of the day the people on this site will say clio but go to a vxr site and there ovi say vxr...

I guess based on what you've said handling in a hot hatch is not one or the most important consideration?

I have a pile of magazines (Evo, Autocar, Auto Express, Top Gear Magazine, Perfomance Car) that hand huge praise and awards to the 200.

Regardless of the detail, the Clio 200 is critically acclaimed.

The Corsa VXR is not.

I guess based on what you've said handling in a hot hatch is not one or the most important consideration?

I have a pile of magazines (Evo, Autocar, Auto Express, Top Gear Magazine, Perfomance Car) that hand huge praise and awards to the 200.

Regardless of the detail, the Clio 200 is critically acclaimed.

The Corsa VXR is not.

:confused1: at what point did i say handling in a hot hatch is or is not important?
im not even saying the vxr's a better car either! just saying u cant just say everything about the vxr is bad and the clio's the best thing since sliced bread with no faults at all. they both have there pro's and cons......

Whenever I hear people mention the Vxr, reliability keeps coming into it. From niggly faults to replacement engines. The Chav in my loves the look of the Vxr, but after a lot of digging certain things do put you off.