Help Looking for a 197/200

Yes be quite man! Lol.
Just been reading your build thread what a stunning racing blue 200 Loving all the mods and subtle touches as you've done it in a way that it still looks OM

Paul

Thankyou.

Manifold and fitting. System and fitting and a remap on mine was like approx £1300 for me.

I'm just saying - don't discount an aftermarket mani and system. In fact it can be seen as a plus as it's a cost you'll never be having yourself if done already....

I guess if you look at my spec sheet (In my thread somewhere fairly lately) it's had a fair bit done - but does still look pretty standard.

Cheers.

Reactions: paul jennings
I agree it's a stunning car and probably one of the best examples out there but for me it's been modded to much although most of the mods are improvements over the original spec. But I'm looking for an original untouched example. Probably sounds strange to most but when in particular buying a limited edition for me originality is key.

Paul

No mate. That makes total sense. I used to be all about OEM too. Completely understand.

Although it could go back to stock pretty easy and you'd make a bit of money on it too. Fact remains, given the 54k miles and stunning condition, chances are you won't do any better than that. I've been watching this market for three years.

But yeah, nothing at all wrong with wanting it as Renault intended. They were all excellent cars as they left the factory.

That's not cheap for a 59 plate. No mention of service history? Worth a look though

Agree it's a bit pricey. Lovely colour and nice miles but like you say no mention of service history.
Being 6k that would clear me out leaving no money for mods I dearly want to spend £5k then have change for getting parts for the car.

Agree it's a bit pricey. Lovely colour and nice miles but like you say no mention of service history.
Being 6k that would clear me out leaving no money for mods I dearly want to spend £5k then have change for getting parts for the car.

Get the newest, lowest miler you can find / afford / get.......worry over the rest later is my motto.

Looking at the 200 above, I thought you wanted an R27 or a Cup?

That does look very nice and I like the grey front. But Ben is absolutely right, if there's no mention of service history you should be reckoning on chucking around a grand at it in maintenance to be safe.

So you wanna spend £5k and leave room for mods? I thought you wanted OEM?

You seem to be a bit back and forth mate. There are loads of cars out there. I'd get myself totally sure first and spend a bit of time learning about the spec you want and watching the market. If any bargains come up, there is usually a reason for that.

Either take your time and get the best car you can, or aim to get one as quick as possible that might not be exactly what you're after and need a bit of TLC.

Have a look through here mate:

http://www.clio197.net/threads/how-did-you-choose-your-clio.55278/

Some people spent a LONG time to find the right one and had to travel to the other end of the country. It's buyers market right now.

I'm starting to think I paid a bit much for mine now if you guys are saying 6k is expensive for a 59 plate, mines a 60 plate with approx 40k on the clock, admitted it is a gordini but still...I thought 6k sounded reasonable for that. It may have service history.

I got the impression he wants an unmodified/unabused one so he can modify it to his own tastes with OEM style, like putting his "own stamp" on the car?

I'm starting to think I paid a bit much for mine now if you guys are saying 6k is expensive for a 59 plate, mines a 60 plate with approx 40k on the clock, admitted it is a gordini but still...I thought 6k sounded reasonable for that. It may have service history.

I got the impression he wants an unmodified/unabused one so he can modify it to his own tastes with OEM style, like putting his "own stamp" on the car?

Makes sense mate, we're all just trying to help him along the path to the right car.

As for yours, it's a Gordini, that's a whole different price bracket really. And the gap is becoming larger I think. There are a few 40k mile bracket Gordinis available at the moment and the price ranges between £7.5 to £8.5

When you drive it then clean it do you think it wasn't worth it? I'm pretty confident that's not going to be the case!

:smile:

Ok that makes me feel better lol, mine was smack bang in the middle of that price range and I know being a gordini would mean it's a different ball game I just got bit worried lol.

And yeah your last comment @///M also nailed it on the head.

Ok that makes me feel better lol, mine was smack bang in the middle of that price range and I know being a gordini would mean it's a different ball game I just got bit worried lol.

And yeah your last comment @///M also nailed it on the head.

:smile: Sounds like you did well to me mate.

Reactions: Sneydster
On the subject of high mileage, the earliest 197s are going to be 11 years old this year, so mileages over 100k won't become too uncommon, especially if they've been used as a daily. Look at how many 1*2s are still knocking about, despite their age and associated mileage...Renault must do something right, and I have read that these engines are very robust.

As is always the case, a well-documented service history is a key factor, regardless of the mileage. My R27 will be 10 years old this year and is just about to tick over to 92k. It's been serviced on time without fail and worn-out parts have been replaced as and when. High mileage does seem to be off-putting for a lot of people, but I'd say as long as a car has been looked after in the same way mine has, there's no reason it shouldn't be a good buy.

Makes sense mate, we're all just trying to help him along the path to the right car.

As for yours, it's a Gordini, that's a whole different price bracket really. And the gap is becoming larger I think. There are a few 40k mile bracket Gordinis available at the moment and the price ranges between £7.5 to £8.5

When you drive it then clean it do you think it wasn't worth it? I'm pretty confident that's not going to be the case!

Apologies for any confusion matey. when I say mods I do mean OM upgrades. I like the Renault cup spoiler and front lip they do for the 197.

Iv not heard of the Gordinis I'm guessing they are rarer than the F1

On the subject of high mileage, the earliest 197s are going to be 11 years old this year, so mileages over 100k won't become too uncommon, especially if they've been used as a daily. Look at how many 1*2s are still knocking about, despite their age and associated mileage...Renault must do something right, and I have read that these engines are very robust.

As is always the case, a well-documented service history is a key factor, regardless of the mileage. My R27 will be 10 years old this year and is just about to tick over to 92k. It's been serviced on time without fail and worn-out parts have been replaced as and when. High mileage does seem to be off-putting for a lot of people, but I'd say as long as a car has been looked after in the same way mine has, there's no reason it shouldn't be a good buy.

Good post as usual mate.

Condition and upkeep over mileage pretty much always. I've seen plenty of dogs with low miles and plenty of stunners with clear of 100k on the clock. It's a thorough search that finds the right one for most people probably.

I guess it also depends on how many miles the new owner is going to do. We're lucky with ours in that it's not a daily so doesn't need to move much. Did a few road trips last year and even then the total for the year was 5k. If it's going to be a daily and need to get you to work and back, mileage probably becomes a bit more of an issue.

Then there's how long you intend to keep it.

All part of the interesting story of buying a car. And why I enjoyed Chris's "how did you find yours" thread so much.

Reactions: Jimmy
Good post as usual mate.

Condition and upkeep over mileage pretty much always. I've seen plenty of dogs with low miles and plenty of stunners with clear of 100k on the clock. It's a thorough search that finds the right one for most people probably.

I guess it also depends on how many miles the new owner is going to do. We're lucky with ours in that it's not a daily so doesn't need to move much. Did a few road trips last year and even then the total for the year was 5k. If it's going to be a daily and need to get you to work and back, mileage probably becomes a bit more of an issue.

Then there's how long you intend to keep it.

All part of the interesting story of buying a car. And why I enjoyed Chris's "how did you find yours" thread so much.

Yeah it's absolutely a compromise. When I bought mine I knew it would be a daily - the mileage was already average (10k p/a) - so I knew that it would keep going up over the years I owned it. At times it does bug me that it's on 92k, but then the greatest pleasure I get from it is driving it (obvs). You can't have one without the other... I'd rather it was lower miles, but I won't stop driving it for fun, as well as for the daily grind! Such is life.

Reactions: ///M
Yeah it's absolutely a compromise. When I bought mine I knew it would be a daily - the mileage was already average (10k p/a) - so I knew that it would keep going up over the years I owned it. At times it does bug me that it's on 92k, but then the greatest pleasure I get from it is driving it (obvs). You can't have one without the other... I'd rather it was lower miles, but I won't stop driving it for fun, as well as for the daily grind! Such is life.
I think the F4R engines are solid Jimmy and good for high mileage if well maintained.

As for the question of old age, I've had to change so many parts on mine it's practically new:grinning:

And with so many guys boosting their clios there's going to be no shortage of engines lying about if mine does give up the ghost...!

Reactions: ///M and Jimmy
i can't believe just how much character these cars have! Just sold my BMW Z4 and was probably the worst car I have ever owned, for me it's about the driving exsperiance and the Z4 was so numb with no feedback with the steering back end was too tail happy and the suspension was aweful! Gave me no confidence at all. Where as the 197 i drove felt so planted the ride was firm being a cup version but I quite liked that. As mentioned before this will be a weekend car so very low miles and being a long term project and will probably spend more time cleaning & polishing it than driving it!

Reactions: Big Ben
i can't believe just how much character these cars have! Just sold my BMW Z4 and was probably the worst car I have ever owned, for me it's about the driving exsperiance and the Z4 was so numb with no feedback with the steering back end was too tail happy and the suspension was aweful! Gave me no confidence at all. Where as the 197 i drove felt so planted the ride was firm being a cup version but I quite liked that. As mentioned before this will be a weekend car so very low miles and being a long term project and will probably spend more time cleaning & polishing it than driving it!
I recently had a dabble with a 2.5l 2003 z4 and he couldn't pull away from me, straight nor corner. We gave thumbs up to each other!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk