Help Looking for a 197/200

hi guys. Looking to buy a renaultsport 197 or 200 and to be honest I'm struggling a little bit. Based in Chelmsford Essex I'm hoping to find a unmolested example ideally would like a F1 or a nice cup version with a budget of 6k.
I can get access to the sale adds on here so I'm guessing I need to be a memeber for a while or get my post counts up.
Having owned many cars in the past and love modding them but a general rule is I mod only using genuine parts.

Paul

hi guys. Looking to buy a renaultsport 197 or 200 and to be honest I'm struggling a little bit. Based in Chelmsford Essex I'm hoping to find a unmolested example ideally would like a F1 or a nice cup version with a budget of 6k.
I can get access to the sale adds on here so I'm guessing I need to be a memeber for a while or get my post counts up.
Having owned many cars in the past and love modding them but a general rule is I mod only using genuine parts.

Paul
Hi is a couple for sale on here somewhere, no idea on price. Keep struggling till you find the right one or you could spend six grand and need another two putting stuff right!

Reactions: paul jennings
Also depends how far you willing to travel, they are out there but may find you need to look further afield and as mentioned, be patient don't rush into it.

As for viewing the ads on here you have to be a paid member etc.

But good luck with the search :thumb:

hi Paul..the for sale section can be accessed as soon as you become a paid member (£5 a year)..also there's a good "buyer's guide" on here..hope you find what you are looking for..any questions just fire away..
Buyer's guide

Cheers guys for the replies. Willing to travel for the right car and I'm in no rush so will wait for the right car. First time buying a French car as always stuck with German cars but after seeing one at my local garage and test driving it..... well just say I got out with a huge smile on my face!

Cheers guys for the replies. Willing to travel for the right car and I'm in no rush so will wait for the right car. First time buying a French car as always stuck with German cars but after seeing one at my local garage and test driving it..... well just say I got out with a huge smile on my face!
They are epic if little underpowered. Easily solved tho!

My very very best advice is to join up here, pay the £5 (SO worth it) and buy the R27 for sale on here. It's been extremely well looked after and never abused, low miles, and is in your price range. Only problem is, it's in Northern Ireland.

Trust me though, you could be waiting a VERY long time before one as good comes up in your budget.

There are literally just a handful of R27s available right now and I wouldn't expect that to change much. Plus the ones that do come up for sale tend to be higher mileage cars. Prices are starting to polarise which says to me the good ones are becoming much harder to find. Even a 70k miler is going to be £6k now unless buying private.

If you have £6k in your hand, you want an R27 and you're willing to travel, the one in NI would be a very good buy I think.

I have to say that R27 which ///M recommended looks really good and has good specs.
Invest that 5£ and take a look.

Of course these cars always have something to fix, but i would say that blue R27 looks really good.

Reactions: ///M
Hi Paul, welcome to the forum. As above, the buyers' guide has everything you'll need to know about the cars - and anything that you still want to ask about, we will be very happy to help.

The Clios are hugely fun cars to drive and ownership is relatively painless... Finding a good one that has been looked after and given the attention it has needed will be worth the wait/travel etc. Best of luck!

Good luck with your search Paul. I'm not to far from Chelmsford so if you want a ride in one or need any questions answered drop me a line and I'll help out if I can.

Reactions: ///M
Again thanks guys. Pretty impressed how helpful you all have been. Belonged to many forums over the years and this one has made me most welcome.
As mentioned before Iv owned many cars and never really took notice of the Renault range until now personally I feel these cars don't have the build Quility of German cars but when it comes to pure driving exsperiance renaultsport wins hands down. BMW's moto 'the ultimate driving exsperiance ' should be for the clio Renaultsport cup 197 I drove last week lol! I was very impressed how it handled and when revved these little cars fly! 10/10 for the grin factor. Best test drive and most shocked of any car Iv driven over the last 20 years.

Reactions: Jimmy
One question what are these cars like for high mileage? I know service history is a must but can these engines do 100k plus? Seen a few R27 's in autotrader and they seem to be in the 80k+ which puts me off but should it, When I get one it will be a weekend car and will probably do less than 1k a year. Thoughts?

Again thanks guys. Pretty impressed how helpful you all have been. Belonged to many forums over the years and this one has made me most welcome.
As mentioned before Iv owned many cars and never really took notice of the Renault range until now personally I feel these cars don't have the build Quility of German cars but when it comes to pure driving exsperiance renaultsport wins hands down. BMW's moto 'the ultimate driving exsperiance ' should be for the clio Renaultsport cup 197 I drove last week lol! I was very impressed how it handled and when revved these little cars fly! 10/10 for the grin factor. Best test drive and most shocked of any car Iv driven over the last 20 years.

With all the Renaults I've had/driven I think you've nailed that on the head, yes their build quality may not be great compared to German cars etc and are cheaper, but they're cheaper to be sold cheaper, but as I'm sure many would agree on here, look at the smiles the car can give.

To me there feels way more passion in these cars than those built with "better" build qualities etc. More "bang for your buck"

As for the engines durability, I'm no expert compared to some on here but would guess that if it's not been thrashed too much, and been serviced etc, then can't foresee it being a problem, especially with future use of only 1k a year, but as I say I'm not as clued up as some people on here

Yeah the French build quality might not be exceptional, and they do have their downsides but when push comes to shove, they're an absolute blast to drive!!

Good luck with the search, and as mentioned check out the buyers guide for things to keep an eye out for :french:

You don't fancy NI then?

I agree it's a stunning car and probably one of the best examples out there but for me it's been modded to much although most of the mods are improvements over the original spec. But I'm looking for an original untouched example. Probably sounds strange to most but when in particular buying a limited edition for me originality is key.

Paul

Reactions: sevenfourate
I agree it's a stunning car and probably one of the best examples out there but for me it's been modded to much although most of the mods are improvements over the original spec. But I'm looking for an original untouched example. Probably sounds strange to most but when in particular buying a limited edition for me originality is key.

Paul

I see your point, but:

Don't forget one of the the main Clio issues can be exhaust and or manifold.

So although standard might be preferred: buying one with another stainless system on might mean a previous problem has effectively already been sorted with a 'never revisit again' part.....

***Because the standard systems are mild and the Renault manifolds (Mild steel too) are known for cracking - hence the problems and why 99%!of people replace with an aftermarket part.

I do like to confuse the issue :smile:

Reactions: Jimmy and ///M
I see your point, but:

Don't forget one of the the main Clio issues can be exhaust and or manifold.

So although standard might be preferred: buying one with another stainless system on might mean a previous problem has effectively already been sorted with a 'never revisit again' part.....

***Bevause the standard systems are mild and the Renault manifolds (Mild steel too) are known for cracking - hence the problems and why 99%!of people replace with an aftermarket part.

I do like to confuse the issue :smile:

Yes be quite man! Lol.
Just been reading your build thread what a stunning racing blue 200 Loving all the mods and subtle touches as you've done it in a way that it still looks OM

Paul