Has your gearbox been replaced? Yes or no?

Have you had the gearbox in your 197 / 200 replaced?

• No - I'm still running the original gearbox

Votes: 420 72.9%
  • Yes - I'm running a replacement gearbox

Votes: 156 27.1%

• Total voters
Only repaired again?

You should have pushed for it to be replaced this time, likelihood of it failing again I would imaging is quite high but then even with it being totally replaced there is no saying it will not do the same :worried:

Very interesting to see the gearbox like that, thanks for sharing them.

I had the box on my 197 completely replaced thanks to help of Renault uk! Since then I have now got an RS200 & have just booked her in next week to have her looked at - 59 plate with 25k miles, crunch from 4/5/6 to 3rd at any revs & from 1/2 to 3rd from after 3.5k revs! Luckily, warranty this time :smile:

Hi guys!

I'm gonna check my 5 000 km 2011 rs3 (~3k miles) tomorrow.
Reason: sometimes crunching while shifting, hard to shift while accelerating with more "effort".

But i'm thinking the reason for that are tired engine mounts. I'll let you know what's wrong

Last edited:
My Clio 200 Gearbox Saga…..

Just thought I would write a small summary of my current gearbox saga with my Clio 200 for any potential buyers looking to purchase such a car. (Mine is still in warranty by the way)

Don’t get me wrong, I love this car, handles great, gets a lot of “thumbs ups/Waves” the thing that has pushed me over the edge is these Renault gearbox’s, and I’ve taken to writing on here to get some honest consumer advice. Now before we go any further I don’t “rag the arse” off the car, it gets a good warm up and to be fair I drive it like a bit of a granny during the weekly commute to work to save fuel, with the occasional blast every now and then at the weekend.

So…this ‘Gearbox Saga’ started back in September 2011 when I had some issues of stiff gear selection, started with first, then progressively to the other gears (this was mainly from cold starts) took the Clio into a Local Renault dealer and after some inspection they put in a new gear box, job done….not quite…

This seemed to solve the problem for a while but 2 months ago it reared its ugly head again although this time it was happening with a warm engine, I’ve been stricken on the M25 in the middle lane traffic, Slip roads off the A3 and anytime it feels like being in a bad mood and not wanting to go into any gear, the solution is to push the car for a bit to get it moving and try and slip it into gear (fun in the rain) Took into Local Renault Dealer again, and…after some phone chasing (again) low and behold it needs another chocolate gear box fitting. (Although this time it would take two weeks for the gearbox to come from Paris, which is longer than last time, makes me wonder if the gearbox from September 2011 was a Cadbury’s or Nestlé one?!) In the mean time I get the pleasure of driving a Twingo.

So the car has been in since Monday this week, got the call yesterday afternoon to collect it (with its second new gearbox in 8 months)….signed back the Twingo back, got in mine, and guess what…..I can’t get it into reverse, with a bit of persuasion I get it in and then stricken myself on the forecourt by not being able to get it into first, second, third etc. The service manager comes out, has a look starts it a few times, and also can’t get it into gear with a disillusioned look on his face after a stressful week at work I bite my tongue and took the keys to the horrible red Twingo (again) and drove home.

Really don’t know what to do now….anybody had the same experience? Anybody got any pointers? Shall I speak to Renault UK? The Warranty is due up in December….Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
Rob

(Disappointed Clio 200 Owner :nope:smile:

Last edited:
Just thought I would write a small summary of my current gearbox saga with my Clio 200 for any potential buyers looking to purchase such a car. (Mine is still in warranty by the way)

Don’t get me wrong, I love this car, handles great, gets a lot of “thumbs ups/Waves” the thing that has pushed me over the edge is these Renault gearbox’s, and I’ve taken to writing on here to get some honest consumer advice. Now before we go any further I don’t “rag the arse” off the car, it gets a good warm up and to be fair I drive it like a bit of a granny during the weekly commute to work to save fuel, with the occasional blast every now and then at the weekend.

So…this ‘Gearbox Saga’ started back in September 2011 when I had some issues of stiff gear selection, started with first, then progressively to the other gears (this was mainly from cold starts) took the Clio into a Local Renault dealer and after some inspection they put in a new gear box, job done….not quite…

This seemed to solve the problem for a while but 2 months ago it reared its ugly head again although this time it was happening with a warm engine, I’ve been stricken on the M25 in the middle lane traffic, Slip roads off the A3 and anytime it feels like being in a bad mood and not wanting to go into any gear, the solution is to push the car for a bit to get it moving and try and slip it into gear (fun in the rain) Took into Local Renault Dealer again, and…after some phone chasing (again) low and behold it needs another chocolate gear box fitting. (Although this time it would take two weeks for the gearbox to come from Paris, which is longer than last time, makes me wonder if the gearbox from September 2011 was a Cadbury’s or Nestlé one?!) In the mean time I get the pleasure of driving a Twingo.

So the car has been in since Monday this week, got the call yesterday afternoon to collect it (with its second new gearbox in 8 months)….signed back the Twingo back, got in mine, and guess what…..I can’t get it into reverse, with a bit of persuasion I get it in and then stricken myself on the forecourt by not being able to get it into first, second, third etc. The service manager comes out, has a look starts it a few times, and also can’t get it into gear with a disillusioned look on his face after a stressful week at work I bite my tongue and took the keys to the horrible red Twingo (again) and drove home.

Really don’t know what to do now….anybody had the same experience? Anybody got any pointers? Shall I speak to Renault UK? The Warranty is due up in December….Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
Rob

(Disappointed Clio 200 Owner :nope:smile:

I can't believe you have gone through 2 gearboxes!! :blush:hmy::blush:hmy:

Shall I speak to Renault UK?

In short, yes. Give them a call. I've just had my gearbox replaced (for the second time) out of warranty and the help and support they have provided has been excellent both times. In their words, the RS is the flagship model and you should be able to enjoy your driving experience without hindrance. I'm sure you're not the only one with this issue, if you search here or on the RUK online forums I bet you'll find a hundred related threads.

Good luck getting it sorted.

Hi guys!

I'm gonna check my 5 000 km 2011 rs3 (~3k miles) tomorrow.
Reason: sometimes crunching while shifting, hard to shift while accelerating with more "effort".

But i'm thinking the reason for that are tired engine mounts. I'll let you know what's wrong

So i've checked it with - everything is fine. Engine mounts like new.
We even went for a ride, and, like always, the problem hasn't showed itself probably because the engine was warm.

But the next day on the cold start there were some problems. After warming up they were gone. Anyway if something's wrong later - the dealer said it'll be fixed by warranty.

So i've checked it with - everything is fine. Engine mounts like new.
We even went for a ride, and, like always, the problem hasn't showed itself probably because the engine was warm.

But the next day on the cold start there were some problems. After warming up they were gone. Anyway if something's wrong later - the dealer said it'll be fixed by warranty.

gearboxes are a problem getting gears from cold....goes away when warm

i personally think the "renualt" gearbox oil is pants!!!!!!

Mines has been replaced 3 weeks ago 197 ff with 51500 miles on clock. Difficult selecting gear when cold, tho bearable. Happy it Got replaced with autocare. 

I started getting a 4th gear noise which I would describe as a crunch over a month ago now. I've been driving the car nearly 2.5 years and it has only done 34k. After seeing so many people with a gearbox problem I decided to ring Renault UK. They offered me 60% contribution of the cost of about 2.5k for an exchange box which means I'd have to pay nearly a grand. I told them I cannot accept to pay nearly a grand for a gearbox to become faulty at such a short mileage. The problem is I'm concerned the problem might get worse if I leave it any longer.

The steering column/rack was replaced under warranty not long after I bought the car but apart from that it's an awsome car.

I'm now on 60k, 57 plate R27. Original box, no issues (other than the normal hard to engage when cold issue)

Recently changed the oil for some Fuchs stuff, doesn't seem to be any better than the original stuff. Looking to change again the near future to something better.

I've just had a new box fitted in mine out of warranty. I had the standard crunch from 3-4 and 5-4 and it deteriorated pretty quickly after it first started. Mines an 08 with 48k, so would have set me back 2.5k but my local dealer, Benfield Renault and a nice lady Hayley from Renault UK sorted me right out. I was really impressed with the customer service. I still dropped almost £800 though but it could have been so much worse!

My 2008 has had 2 new gear boxes one at 12000 and another at 22500!
Took it in for a service the other week and yet AGAIN it's having another new gear box on the 20th, having a run of bad luck I think. Everything else is spot on though..

My 2008 has had 2 new gear boxes one at 12000 and another at 22500!
Took it in for a service the other week and yet AGAIN it's having another new gear box on the 20th, having a run of bad luck I think. Everything else is spot on though..

Hopefully the problem is now resolved and your new box comes with the new one piece synchros.

We're the first two boxes done under warranty dcoates? That's spectacularly bad luck mind...

Yeah, was still inside it's 3 years! Shortly after I brought another 2 years warranty just incase, proven to be worth it seen as my air con stopped working also 1 month ago!