Gearbox!!!

Hyde200

Gold Member
well im now getting crunches into 4th gear:nope:, whats the best thing to do? best way to go about it? 28k on the clock, 09 plate.

do i phone RUK and just battle?

Cheers Callum!

Have you owned from new?

Have you had it serviced, on time and @ Renault?

Have you had any other Renaults prior to the 200?

If all the above is 'yes' you may have a chance, otherwise it's doubtful (and to be fair, its a 5 year old car, things go wrong!). A new box can be picked up for £400 then its just fitting.

Had my gearbox changed on my '08 197 about a month and a half ago.

Picked up a used 200 box off a member on here and got it fitted by the place I use, All in for £840

Depends what quotes you will get for labour and parts.

The link below is for recondition gearboxes that man people have used when they have run into this problem and if your mechanic will fit parts you supply it will dramatically help lower costs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-C...:2.0+16V+Sport|Model:Clio&hash=item563f82c81f

Yeah, ask to speak to Holly Ingram if you speak to RUK. I had the exact same battle about a month ago, and they assure me its not as common as we think. The more people that speak to that bird the better.

Have you owned from new? No, ive owned it about 5-6 months.

Have you had it serviced, on time and @ Renault? Without checking the service history i wouldn't be able to tell you as i cant remember (will check when i'm home though)

you had any other Renaults prior to the 200? First Renault as its only my second car

If all the above is 'yes' you may have a chance, otherwise it's doubtful (and to be fair, its a 5 year old car, things go wrong!). A new box can be picked up for £400 then its just fitting.

Things do go wrong yeah, but surely not after 28k miles.. we will see what happens.

Had my gearbox changed on my '08 197 about a month and a half ago.

Picked up a used 200 box off a member on here and got it fitted by the place I use, All in for £840

Depends what quotes you will get for labour and parts.

The link below is for recondition gearboxes that man people have used when they have run into this problem and if your mechanic will fit parts you supply it will dramatically help lower costs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-C...:2.0+16V+Sport|Model:Clio&hash=item563f82c81f

This may be a solution, thanks for that!

Things do go wrong yeah, but surely not after 28k miles.. we will see what happens.

But the mileage is just one part of it, the wear on a gearbox will be more to do with how it's been used than the distance it's covered.

Anyway, that aside - where did you buy the car from? did you get any sort of warranty with the car? Isn't there some sort of law whereby a car bought from a dealer automatically has some sort of cover for 6 months - has to be fit for purpose etc? It might be worth going down that route too.

But the mileage is just one part of it, the wear on a gearbox will be more to do with how it's been used than the distance it's covered.

Anyway, that aside - where did you buy the car from? did you get any sort of warranty with the car? Isn't there some sort of law whereby a car bought from a dealer automatically has some sort of cover for 6 months - has to be fit for purpose etc? It might be worth going down that route too.

one thing I would love to find out is how its lived its previous life.. I may have to go back to the dealer I brought it from.

Mines being picked up on Wednesday to have diagnostics run on her due to grinding in 3rd, hopefully it's all covered by my warranty. Out of interest what have people with grinding and crunching problems had done I.e re build or a new box and what was the turn around times . Cheers guys

Hi everyone sorry to carry this old thread on but having read through it for over an hour I have the dreaded fourth gear crunch shifting up to fourth and down to fourth.

After convincing myself it was my driver error seat position or not clutching to the floor I'm now happy after reading this that it wasn't me and also have another car and never crunch the other.

So where to go now the car is a 200 on a 10 plate on 23,000 which is nothing in my opinion but is it best to give Renault uk a ring?? My extended warranty has just run out by a month and I currently have an open case with holly Ingram off RUK regarding a wearing recaro really peed off now as I don't want to pay mega money for a poorly built gearbox which they clearly won't admit to.

Thanks