Exhaust rattle

Jesse James

Platinum Member
On Tuesday I noticed my exhaust rattling between 1000 and 1200 ram. It is the only place it does it on the Rev range and it is like a metallic rattle, but I ain't got a clue what it could be. Has anyone got any idea what it might be?

I have a metallic rattle too and tried sourcing it yesterday, except mine is spot on 3000rpm. I jacked it up and got underneath with my girlfriend sat holding the throttle and still had no luck! I ended up taking off the diffuser to see if it was that heat shield but it was fine. Full of crap mind so a good excuse to clean it out! My heat shield wasn't particularly secure so I tried bending a few bits back, but I'm thinking it may be one of the exhaust clamps. Hopefully the problem will go with a new cat-back! :d

I have a very similar sort of rattle, put it down to heat shield somewhere along the exhaust. Tried sourcing it a few times but it always seem to creep back in!!!

Centre section baffles?

Was super common on the mk2 rs. Have heard of a few issues on the mk3 also

I have a rattle, however mines more on idle and disappears once there is more revs, would this be more likely to be the heat shield rather than a baffle? I assumed a clamp would rattle through out the rev range?

I feel a bit stupid. Was standing next to the car with it running from cold and I could hear it s I got underneath it on the car park and it was further back so I shuffled back. Then I saw what it was, the jubilee clip that holds on my exhaust tip has come loose. Silly me

I feel a bit stupid. Was standing next to the car with it running from cold and I could hear it s I got underneath it on the car park and it was further back so I shuffled back. Then I saw what it was, the jubilee clip that holds on my exhaust tip has come loose. Silly me

Easy win though mate!!

Anyone else still having these problems and finding its not as simple as a clamp, its either the baffles in a silencer or honeycomb in the cat (like mine). I'm awaiting a new cat from Renault, have been waiting since 4th October!!

My 'metallic rattle' used to be at 3100rpm, then it went now its about 2500rpm.