Exhaust has been stolen, looking for some tips/advice please

Hi guys,

Just got off the phone with my dad who is furious today because someone has cut off and stolen the whole exhaust system from his Merc Sprinter van. I laughed because i thought he was joking/ didn't think anyone would do such a thing but as we found out the exhaust with catalysts are very expensive indeed:thumb1:

Just looking for some advice of how to prevent it from happening again (they are going to weld the system somehow to make it harder to steal now) as there is no reason why they wouldn't come back next week to steel the new exhaust. The van already has a good Clifford alarm system, but he's now adding every sensor available haha. I must say i'm shocked about the whole thing, we live in a very safe area so i never expected it to happen. Just a heads up to Akrapovic, Milltek owners as well :wink:

Not good Ollie, I'd be tempted to put a sign on the underneath of the van saying "Smile you're on camera" I dare them to nick it again after reading that.

there was a certain merc dealers in warrington that had 30+ stolen from new vans...

thing is if they want it they will take it - not much you can do to stop it being stolen apart from not leaving it where they have the time to cut it off

Thanks for the ideas guys! I'm sure my dad will opt for the electrify idea first :smile:

Apparently they left the nuts and claps in a neat pile underneath the van haha

My mate had his stolen off his landrover. Cut the pipe off right at the front before the joint to the manifold...leaving him to replace the manifold also. Tossers.

I purchased a few ProCatt antitheft device's after one got nicked from our new work Ford Ranger - they connect either to existing car alarm or standalone.

They look good, cant comment on how well they work as i still have them in the boxes 6 months later as havent got round to fitting - so possibly not the best theft deterent at the moment :nope:

Also have one for my own F150 as it has sport cats on it - havent fitted that one either....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-Catt-Procatt-Universal-Catalytic-Converter-Alarm-System-Mercedes-Sprinter-/120920378036?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Safety_Security&hash=item1c276a8ab4

I've heard of this. Iirc owners have all the bolts welded on/have more brackets welded on.

Shame it's happened to your dad :worried:

I'd prefer to use one of these :evil:

hires_081113-A-6854T-077.jpg

thing is if they want it they will take it - not much you can do to stop it being stolen apart from not leaving it where they have the time to cut it off

THIS.

Even these "cat lock" products are a gimmick - they are a visual deterrent at best. The most they will do is slow the thieves down a bit.

I dunno about you, but I don't fancy taking on angle grinder equipped pikeys! :swear:

Thanks for all the input guys! That's true if they want it they will get it, if they see there are cat locks etc they may end up doing extra damage for the sake of it.

I think he is going to weld the whole exhaust in place so they will need an angle grinder to take it off. We've also found some sensors that connect up to the clifford alarm, as soon as someone goes underneath the van the whole system goes off which should do the job :smile:

This type of theft is becoming massively common as the price of material in the cat is becoming more valuable at scrapyards etc.

Best defence? Decats :wink:

Could tack weld another piece of steel to the system to make it an awkward shape (ie not round) obv you could still use a saw, but it would be a pain to cut with one of those wheeled cutters..