Exhaust has gone :(

Just driving on the way home from the gym today and things got pretty loud. My car is trying to do scooby impressions.

got it booked in for an exhaust check at kwik fit to see where it's gone. Praying it's not the flexi joint - I've read a lot about these going and being very expensive to replace.

if it's blowing elsewhere, then it's a good enough excuse to get a milltek or k-tec put on.

what are the chances it's the flexi joint guys?

Take diffuser off. Run car. Cover exhaust tips and.get a mate to listen where the gasses are coming from. You may not even have the cover the exhaust tips yo be honest

Could get a toyosprt mani of its gone

Pain in the ass it's gone.though :worried:

I'd be pretty sure it's the flexi.... How many miles is it on?

Toyosport manifold was a good purchase - it's the labour that's painful!

I've been to kwik fit this morning to have the exhaust inspected. It is indeed the flexi that has gone.

the car has just struck 27000 miles. It's outrageous that such a part can go on an '11 plate car with so few miles!

i will be checking warranties etc to see what can be done.

the toyosport manifold looks nice, does it require a remap afterwards?

The car is still in warranty isn't it?

That'll be replaced for few, expect a long, dire wait though; almost 6 months it took for mine from Renault

I w ll have had the car three months tomorrow. And the warranty is three months, so I'm quite lucky there. Spoke to the chap at the dealer and he said that the warranty doesn't cover the exhaust. My argument is that it's the manifold and hence part of the engine.

really, 6 months :worried: what did you do in the meantime?

The manifold is part of the exhaust and not the engine block

Unfortunately the guy you spoke to was right

I'd take it somewhere else to be looked at, I'd never take my car to Kwikfit even if I was desperate. They tend to break things, even if they're not broken in the first place.

I thought there was 4 years warranty on the Clio's?

2011 should be until next year? I'd be bothering them to replace it

expect a bill ov a grand mine went got a m8 to weld new flexys in cost me £40 flexys are only £20 mine have been on over two year know renaults warranty is crap my seats wore away within a year and renault says not covered by warranty which is stupid coz warranty is wear n tear con artists :thumb1:

Last edited:
expect a bill ov a grand mine went got a m8 to weld new flexys in cost me £40 flexys are only £20 mine have been on over two year know renaults warranty is crap my seats wore away within a year and renault says not covered by warranty which is stupid coz warranty is wear n tear con artists :thumb1:

Just_Gonna_Do_Me_Like_That.gif

English please

I only took it to kwik fit literally to have a look underneath-they do free exhaust checks. I just wanted to confirm what the problem was.

thanks for the advice gez, I'll definitely look into that. I'm not sure if it would apply to me though as I didn't have it from a renault dealer, or from new. Worth a try though!

i think the first port of call will be seeing if the dealer will sort it under warranty. If it's labour that's the big cost, I'm sure they will be able to waive it

i won't be paying a grand, don't have a grand to spare lol.

Warranty dies not include wear and tear. That is a simple fact

A warranty will cover a multitude of components that are designed to withstand everyday driving and still maintain function. A warranty will also cover 'consequencial' damage providing that no mis-use is apparent to the failing component

Wear and tear is exactly that. You can't by a pair of trainers, wear them for a year and then send them back to the manufacturer and say that some of the grip of the bottom has worn off you want free replacement can you?

Last edited:
You might not be able to return a pair of trainers after a years use. But say the soles delaminated from the shoe after a weeks wear you would take them back as unsuitable. It's the same case here, you shouldn't have to be replacing manifolds on a 3 year old car lol.

anyway, I'm going to contact the dealer in the morning and see how things end up. Not got my hopes up. I've got a couple of contacts who might help if it fails