ESP Button

Decided to turn the ESP off and its made a huge difference in how the car delivers the power. Not sure why I haven't done it before(?) With the FI, I found the car when it was turned on, would bog down, and you could hear it limiting the power as the air filter fluttered for a second before shooting off. This is the TC/ESP retarding the throttle I guess to prevent wheelspin. With it turned off, I don't appear to get this bogging effect and the power is sooo much more smoother in its delivery. I'm not sure whether the wheel spin is countered by the the LSD.

Its really strange sometimes with the Meg conversion as the car can be a little
schizophrenic. Its funny cause the system seems to be different on the Meg 225 than the R26. Might be wrong but the 225 turns itself back on over 30mph, the R26 turns it back off when the ignition is turned on, and the R26R completely stays off until you turn it back on.

Might speak to SteC to look into how the R26R works....

200/197 stays off till you restart the car.

Not tried it in the meg as I have the monitor so you activate throttle mapping which includes ESP deactivation.

Yep mine stays off too until you turn the ignition off then it resets. Just really interesting how some of the Meg boys have it rewired to be completely turned off, and one quotes "the traction control can be a bit of a pain in a tuned car..." but I'm just getting to understand what he means.....Any amount of excessive torque and its really is intrusive in how it cuts the power. I recognise its a huge safety feature but on dry days, the Diff works really well through the corners....

With the FI, I found the car when it was turned on, would bog down, and you could hear it limiting the power as the air filter fluttered for a second before shooting off. This is the TC/ESP retarding the throttle I guess to prevent wheelspin.

Yes indeed, and that doesn't apply only to FI clios, possibly at a much greater extend to your car for the obvious reasons.

Something slightly irrelevant, on my car I found that the sprintbooster counteracts the ESP/throttle properties you mentioned above, it's like lifting this throttle retardation (nicely put btw) and gives full throttle (if not full, more than you ask anyway) straight away. So not only minimizes the lag but gives more throttle as well something I don't really fancy tbh. The downside of this is that when the SB is on and you press the throttle while cornering (spirited driving) the ESP gets easily confused and kicks in - even if you are gentle - so it's kind of useless really. I always have the SB switched off when driving in anger otherwise ESP gets constantly in my way.

Just out of curiosity Litchy (and other LSD guys), how does LSD work with the ESP? Do they work nicely together?

Yes indeed, and that doesn't apply only to FI clios, possibly at a much greater extend to your car for the obvious reasons.

Just out of curiosity Litchy (and other LSD guys), how does LSD work with the ESP? Do they work nicely together?

To be honest, I feel it actually doesnt work as well as I thought. The ESP hinders than helps it, and doesn't really allow it to work fully. Car was def much smoother and quicker than with it switched on....Hence, the Meg owners permanently switching it off

Hmm...one could support (talking about the Clio now) that the ESP hasn't been programmed with an LSD in mind therefore it's getting confused given that the dynamics have been altered etc. However another could argue that the basic principle of ESP is that it functions when traction is lost, LSD offers more traction/grip so common sense dictates that it would still work as good, but obviously in more extreme circumstances.

I can't tell from personal experience and obviously I'm not aware of how these systems operate, these are only thoughts.

The system was never designed to be accommodating these kind of torque figures. The system may well be confused given the load that are now going through the front wheels. My car is double the torque even when it was cammed. I'm not the worlds quickest driver but I cant believe how much the power was being cut under load through corners.

obviously its built into the meg but keep the meg in normal mode and drive hard its far easier to get the esp to engage. Thats on of the beauty's of the monitor as the sensitivity increases/decreases as power is limited due to throttle mapping.

Both in the 200 and the Meg they've felt a lot better with it off, though only ever turn it off on track days personally.

Had a few days with it turned off. Absolutely different car. The TC has been doing its job but more for when the Clio engine, than the Clio. Not clever enough to understand how these systems are set up but, I can tell you not for having a LSD. Button turned off, the torque is now formidable and the LSD just grips. Shame its taken me so long to find out.

Now need to work out how (like the R26R) once its turn off, stays off....

225 or r26 ecu?

the r26 setup should stay off, the 225s automatically switch esp back on above 30mph

225 or r26 ecu?

the r26 setup should stay off, the 225s automatically switch esp back on above 30mph

Sorry Mike, I meant stays off, irrespective of whether you turn the ignition off or not...r26r its literally an off / on button and doesn't reset so I believe....

Ah right, ill ask the r26r boys at cadwell after ive raped them round track!!